Wireless: Virtual interface(s) in client mode?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Hicks
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:29    Post subject: Wireless: Virtual interface(s) in client mode? Reply with quote
Hey

Sorry if this isn't the correct forum, not sure if it should've been in advanced networking?

Anyways, I'm planning to set up a 2x2 802.11ac point-to-point link between two buildings, but i want to have traffic from multiple separated VLANs traversing the link, how would i achieve that?

Atm. I'm testing with Linksys 610N and 320N on mega - build 18946M NEWD-2 K2.6 Eko, but once i have a working setup with those, i will upgrade to Buffalo WZR-D1800H to get better performance.

Ideally i would like to have the wifi link working as a trunk/tagged link, so that i can have every port in a separated VLAN, and broadcast traffic would end up on the other end of the link, in the right VLAN.

But since i don't see how i would make eth1 trunk in dd-wrt, i have been experimenting with some other things.
I have successfully made a separated bridge with EoIP and just bridging oet1 to vlan3 on both sides, but EoIP seems to be a rather big performance hit (understandably), with performance dropping from 7MB/s to 4MB/s

So my next idea was making several virtual interfaces on the AP, briding them to VLANs individually, and having the client side join each SSID and briding them to the right VLAN, but i don't know how to make virtual interfaces in client mode. Is it even possible to have a virtual interface act as a client to an AP?

I tried making virtual interfaces in repeater mode, but i couldn't figure out how to make them join the network. wl -i wl0.1 join <SSID> seemed to have little effect.

As a bonus question, would there be any problem in using the 3x3 WZR-D1800H with a 2x2 MIMO 5GHz Dish? Can i disable the last stream somehow?

Thanks and regards,
David.
Sponsor
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: