Device gets dropped from Router after 30 sec w/ 2 addresses

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
videobruce
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2023 22:57    Post subject: Device gets dropped from Router after 30 sec w/ 2 addresses Reply with quote
Three issues;
1. After the device boots up it shows in the Status/LAN, the disappears after 30 seconds,

2. If I reboot it, it shows up on again but with 2 addresses;
192.168.1.4 (this I assigned by a static address)
192.168.1.51 (this was assigned by DHCP when the setting within the device was changed from static to DHCP)

3. With the device not connected, I re-looked at that Status/LAN page, the vlan2 entry shows a double entry;
xx.xxx.155.149 &
xx.xxx.155.1

Ok, what's wrong??
It's a TP Link Archer C7 V4 and the device is a CCTV DVR.
Sponsor
pandemonium420
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2023 0:30    Post subject: Re: Device gets dropped from Router after 30 sec w/ 2 addres Reply with quote
videobruce wrote:
Three issues;
1. After the device boots up it shows in the Status/LAN, the disappears after 30 seconds,

2. If I reboot it, it shows up on again but with 2 addresses;
192.168.1.4 (this I assigned by a static address)
192.168.1.51 (this was assigned by DHCP when the setting within the device was changed from static to DHCP)

3. With the device not connected, I re-looked at that Status/LAN page, the vlan2 entry shows a double entry;
xx.xxx.155.149 &
xx.xxx.155.1

Ok, what's wrong??
It's a TP Link Archer C7 V4 and the device is a CCTV DVR.
+

I find this problem every once in a while when duplicates are created in the lease database, usually when setting up new machines or devices that grab leases before making final setups.

The best way I have is found is to erase the offending MACs and IP addresses. There is a shell program in /etc on the router called lease_update.sh you can cat the file to see the commands, but basically the command I run is: sh lease_update.sh del 00:11:22:33:44:55 192.168.20.20 replace with your device MAC and IP address. this will get them out of the nvram listing. Note have the device turned off so it does not try to get new address before getting all the duplicates out. Then add your static address and MAC address to your static address listing then the device should keep the one address and not cause issues when turned on. Make sure if your device is randomizing the MAC address each time this will cause the dupes and not assign the proper IP/MAC combo.

File/Kernel: DD-WRT v3.0-r50671 std (10/26/22), Linux 4.9.330 #1313 SMP Wed Oct 26 05:13:03 +07 2022 armv7l

dale_gribble39
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2023 0:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
s/program/script* ... it's a shell script, and besides a proper power cycle, that is the most direct way to effectively resolve the double entry perhaps, but is the "static IP" a lease or is it a manually-set IP address on the DVR? Proper terminology helps avoid confusion. Also, the other double entry on vlan2 are probably upstream devices such as your upstream router or remote management PC and they show up randomly on the LAN status page, usually with an asterisk (*) as hostname.
And miles to go before I sleep." - Robert Frost

"I am one of the noticeable ones - notice me" - Dale Frances McKenzie Bozzio

<fact>code knows no gender</fact>

This is me, knowing I've ruffled your feathers, and not giving a ****
Some people are still hard-headed.

--------------------------------------
Mac Pro (Mid 2012) - Two 2.4GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5645 processors 64GB 1333MHz DDR3 ECC SDRAM OpenSUSE Leap 15.5
videobruce
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2023 11:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the replies, but I have no idea how to do any of that or even find that program. This device was a replacement for 2 others that I'm having trouble with, but those did not have this issue.
I was thinking of updating the F/W and using the reset defaults to clear the problem, but I really didn't want to go thru all those settings again since I have had this Router setup this way for many years w/o any known issue until now.

The Static IP was setup only on the DVR. I've never setup any addresses on the Router other than setting the range of the available static IP addresses available wired & wireless.

This "upstream router or remote management PC" you mentioned, I have no idea what either are as, I only have one Router and no remote management unless you are referring to the program for the DVR that communicates with it to retrieve recordings and provide viewing from a PC instead of a dedicated HDMI monitor.

Will just a reset clear out those entries?
videobruce
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2023 16:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok, the 2nd IP address has disappeared with the vlan2 entry.

I performed a factory reset, rebooted, loaded the most recent F/W 9/8/23, rebooted. did a 2nd factory default reset. Did my few IP range settings, choose a wireless channel and set the static and DHCP ranges. That was about it in settings.

No change, the DVR does not show in the client list and the software does try to make a connection to Live View, but not to Playback.

I tried to ping the DVR using IE, the ping showed 3 out of the 4 'pings', but then closed before the process was complete.
I haven't used that function for years, I thought that window would stay open until I closed it. Doesn't it?
Anyway, if I can ping it, why isn't it showing in the Router and what's with this half A partial connection??
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2023 16:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
Devices with a hard static IP address set on the device itself and not a static DHCP lease set in DD-WRT will generally not show on the active LAN clients list that I'm aware of (?). Maybe sir @ho1Aetoo can take the time to share some wisdom.
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
videobruce
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2023 16:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
Then why does everything else show when the device is active and why did it use to show on the other units? Sorry, that doesn't make a lot of sense. Of course, that doesn't explain the communication issues. I've never had anything that is active that didn't show under active clients. Shocked
lexridge
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2023 15:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have several active clients that fail to show under Status/LAN. As long as you can reach the devices, they are probably fine.

Netgear R7800 (WDS-AP, WAP, VAP) - DD-WRT r55779
Features in use: multiple VLANs over single trunk port

Linksys EA8500 WDS Station x2 - DD-WRT r55799

Netgear R6400v2 WAP, VAP 2.4ghz only w/VLANs over single trunk port. DD-WRT r55779

OSes: Fedora 38, 9 RPis (2,3,4,5), 20 ESP8266s: Straight from Amiga to Linux in '94, never having owned a Windows PC.

Forum member #248
videobruce
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2023 20:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
Never saw this happen before or even heard of it.
My question is; why or how this can happen??

What type ofr devices are these and are they with Static or DHCP addresses?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: