What is the best router with rp-sma antennas & ddwrt sup

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions
chris89
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 10:31    Post subject: What is the best router with rp-sma antennas & ddwrt sup Reply with quote
I'm trying to find a router that uses rp-sma antennas so I know it'll have better range than a router with internal antennas. Im on a budget but need something with good throughput on ddwrt and uses rp-sma antennas.

Thanks

Right now I'm using an e1700 with r-sma antennas, the linksys hga7s 7dbi antennas and my range is o-k with the tx power boosted to 999mw. I just need more throughput, since the rx rate is lacking. Why is the rx rate so much lower than the tx rate?
Sponsor
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 11:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
Depending on your region, EA8500 may be the best deal for a used router. Otherwise, go for an R7800.
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 13:13    Post subject: Re: What is the best router with rp-sma antennas & ddwrt Reply with quote
chris89 wrote:
I just need more throughput, since the rx rate is lacking. Why is the rx rate so much lower than the tx rate?

It does not get better than the tx capability of the client.
chris89
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 3:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
blkt wrote:
Depending on your region, EA8500 may be the best deal for a used router. Otherwise, go for an R7800.

I live in the usa. Im trying to pickup a ea8500 right now. So i guess you cant upgrade the ea8500 to ddwrt without tftp huh? Id like to use ddwrt but i want to upgrade it inside gui, is that possible?

Also does the stock ea8500 firmware support "wireless repeater bridge mode and virtual ap"? So i can widen the range of my netgear 815s internet source?

Thx
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 11:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
Initial flash install for EA8500 is almost guaranteed you will have to open up the router to serial flash with a USB to TTL Serial adapter cable such as Adafruit 954 or DTECH FTDI 3.3V.

This is because stock EA8500 are by default set to automatically upgrade and after a certain point Linksys allows only their encrypted firmware. After flashing both partitions from u-boot with DD-WRT it is unlocked and super easy to work with.

If the EA8500's revision is Rev.A00 (above UPC barcode on the box) it will have the serial header pins installed from the factory.
B00 probably and C00 most certainly will not have these serial header pins installed, so you will need to solder them in manually.

R7800 has easy TFTP recovery mode (and newer chipset), but does not have the convenient dual partition layout of EA8500.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: