VAP security not working (R7000, Kong r28500M)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
roto
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:38    Post subject: VAP security not working (R7000, Kong r28500M) Reply with quote
Hello,

I searched the forum and I could not find a solution to this issue, although I found a few posts reporting problems with VAPs and security.

In short, I set up a VAP and secondary DHCP according to Kong's guide (sorry I can't post a link probably because I am a new member) and, as long as the VAP is open, it works: I can connect to WiFi, get an IP address, and connect to the internet.

However as soon as I set up any kind of encryption on the VAP I can no longer connect to it. I tried WPA2 Personal, WPA Personal, and WEP and none worked.

Does anyone have a suggestion? Is this a known issue or am I doing something wrong?
Sponsor
roto
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hello?

Does anyone have an idea? Tips?

Thanks!
<Kong>
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
Did you try after a reboot? It works here.
JAMESMTL
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
you need to show you config or we're just guessing.

i've got 4 r7000's on v28500 all using WPA2 Personal AES.
roto
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 15:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
<Kong> wrote:

Hi Kong, thanks for your tip!

Yes, it actually worked after I rebooted the router. However not just once. Initially the router went into a boot loop. I had to clear the NVRAM and try again. The second time I had luck, but when I tried to change the WLAN channel from Auto to 6 (2.4 GHz) the router got stuck. I had to reboot again and it went into another boot loop. One additional NVRAM reset and now it works as I want.

It seems to be a bit too sensitive though. I haven't tried to change the WPA2 password, so I don't know if I will have to reboot for that, too. My idea was to change the guest password regularly, so I hope that is not the case.

Anyway, thanks a lot for chipping in! Much appreciated.

Edit: Incidentally, this behavior is totally unusual. DD-WRT is normally very, very stable. The only times I have to reboot the routers is when I update them.
<Kong>
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 18:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
roto wrote:
<Kong> wrote:

Hi Kong, thanks for your tip!

Yes, it actually worked after I rebooted the router. However not just once. Initially the router went into a boot loop. I had to clear the NVRAM and try again. The second time I had luck, but when I tried to change the WLAN channel from Auto to 6 (2.4 GHz) the router got stuck. I had to reboot again and it went into another boot loop. One additional NVRAM reset and now it works as I want.

It seems to be a bit too sensitive though. I haven't tried to change the WPA2 password, so I don't know if I will have to reboot for that, too. My idea was to change the guest password regularly, so I hope that is not the case.

Anyway, thanks a lot for chipping in! Much appreciated.

Edit: Incidentally, this behavior is totally unusual. DD-WRT is normally very, very stable. The only times I have to reboot the routers is when I update them.

Quite a few BrainSlayer builds were broken lately, due to the driver upgrades.

In case you come from tomato you must run command:

erase nvram

in a terminal on the router.
roto
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 21:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
<Kong> wrote:
Quite a few BrainSlayer builds were broken lately, due to the driver upgrades.

In case you come from tomato you must run command:

erase nvram

in a terminal on the router.

I am using your builds on the R7000.

On this specific router I have never run anything else than Kong dd-wrt builds. In my experience the R7000's Wi-Fi throughput and range with Tomato are significantly worse than with dd-wrt. When I bought the first R7000 I tested a few BrainSlayer builds but I found them not quite stable and sometimes a bit buggy, however that was quite some time ago. Then I tried your builds…

I will anyway try to erase the NVRAM from the CLI and see if the situation improves. Today I had to use the reset button for obvious reasons.

Shall I reconfigure the router by hand from scratch or can I restore a backup of the configuration? I am not sure if you save only the modified settings or if you dump the whole NVRAM.
<Kong>
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 21:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
If you experience strange issues no one else can reproduce, then I would not restore a config, could be some corrupted nvram config.
tmo1138
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 22:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
+1 to what Kong said.

Also I use the following scripts to backup and restore configuration between resets. It's been more reliable than using the backup feature that's built into the firmware.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=887860

Useful links:

Builds:
ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2020/

dd-wrt supported devices:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices

So long <kong> and thanks for all the fish!
roto
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
<Kong> wrote:
If you experience strange issues no one else can reproduce, then I would not restore a config, could be some corrupted nvram config.

I erased the nvram and re-configured the router by hand. Now it is definitely more stable. Somehow the nvram must have gotten corrupted. Thanks for the tip.

However I still have to reboot the router every time I change something that affects the virtual AP. I save and apply the changes, but then I can no longer connect to the VAP unless I reboot. Not a big deal but strange.
roto
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
tmo1138 wrote:
Also I use the following scripts to backup and restore configuration between resets. It's been more reliable than using the backup feature that's built into the firmware.

Interesting. I'll give it a try. Thanks.
M. de Koekepeer
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 22:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
roto wrote:
However I still have to reboot the router every time I change something that affects the virtual AP. I save and apply the changes, but then I can no longer connect to the VAP unless I reboot. Not a big deal but strange.

I essentially have the same experience with wifi interfaces that do not use the 'standard' br0 bridge. I sometimes have to boot twice to get the displayed bridge table consistent with the latest change that I made.

But maybe I'm just trying crazy things. Very Happy

See my thread further up the road.

Cheers, M.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: