Large USB 3 portable Hdd support on r63000v2 similar routers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
NHS2008
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 18:48    Post subject: Large USB 3 portable Hdd support on r63000v2 similar routers Reply with quote
I want to know about what you'll people are using?

I was using a 2TB ADATA HV620 portable hdd with 6300v2 which worked perfectly fine with official as well as custom firmwares. Everything worked as it should.

But just past week I got a 4TB ADATA HV300 portable HDD.

And initially it seemed to work just fine with the Kong's build from 2014 that I was using but then I noticed that MiniDLNA wasn't indexing all the folders. And no matter how many times I tried to it. it would just not index all the files. I tried latest BS's build. Tried Advanced/Fresh Tomato as well. But same thing.

Then after multiple reboots and nvram clearing (Due to not being able to login on Fresh tomato) I got it to kind of work on latest fresh tomato beta. But it still seems to drop a folder or two. And I can get those folders to index if I cut and paste them in and out of my Dlna folders but then the DLNA client freezes and switches off. And I have to restart it manually from Router's menu.

So does anyone have any info on this?

Is the HDD not getting enough power? (it says it needs 900mv on the back)

Or is there some other limitation due to no. of files or sizes?
(10,360 files, 934 folders and 1.68 TB)

Or any other issue?

My intention is to use it as a DLNA server.
Sponsor
jimfree
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 20:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
I think you got it right with the power problem. You should get a "Y" cable and get a second source of power. I have used a 4Tb drive with my R6300v2 using it as a miniDLNA server as you described and it worked fine. In my case it was a Seagate drive with its own power. One small partition for opt and the remaining for a jffs partiton. I used the jffs for movie storage primarily. I've moved to a NAS but when I stopped using the drive attached to R6300v2 it had about 2.5TB of media being used.
NHS2008
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 20:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
jimfree wrote:
I think you got it right with the power problem. You should get a "Y" cable and get a second source of power. I have used a 4Tb drive with my R6300v2 using it as a miniDLNA server as you described and it worked fine. In my case it was a Seagate drive with its own power. One small partition for opt and the remaining for a jffs partiton. I used the jffs for movie storage primarily. I've moved to a NAS but when I stopped using the drive attached to R6300v2 it had about 2.5TB of media being used.

Thanks for reply. I have actually ordered a usb 3.0 Y cable but it;ll take a while to get here. May I know which firmware were you using?
jimfree
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 20:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
It's hard to say since I always upgraded to Kong's latest test build as soon as he released it. I'm currently using the last build he did before moving to openwrt. I think its been about a year ago I moved to the NAS. So it would have been a release from late 2018. I'm not at home right now but I'll plug the drive back into the router and run a miniDLNA test and let you know if it still works. I'm sure it will
jimfree
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 23:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
Gave it a try and the latest Kong release, 40270M, 7/11/19, still works like a charm with a 4TB drive, formatted as 4ext file system. I have 2148 video files using about 2.5TB of disk space. The files really mount up when you start putting TV series on there!
If you don't immediately know where to find repository for Kong builds, here's a hint...

http://ddwrt-kong.clonevince.fr/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: