DIR-615 C2 - can't seem to increase Tx power...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
axis
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:16    Post subject: DIR-615 C2 - can't seem to increase Tx power... Reply with quote
Hi all, have build 14896 up and running quite happily on my DIR-615 C2. The default Tx power appears to be 13 dbm and I'm wanting to boost it up a bit to increase signal quality at the other end of the house.

I can change this in wireless>advanced, however this never seems to be reflected in status>wireless or sysinfo - both these pages stubbornly refuse to report anything other than 13dbm

Any thoughts?
Sponsor
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
Perhaps upgrade your build. Newer builds can be found in the dd-wrt file server, in my sig there is a link called DD-WRT Builds, i would suggest to upgrade to atleast 18024 or 18777, the latest build (19519) has wireless issues for me, so i don't use it.

Also to note, dd-wrt cannot adjust the txpower value more than the hardware can do, so its limited per hardware limits. But i would still suggest upgrading your build then see what that yields for you, because builds 17990 or greater use a dd-wrt ath9k driver, whereas older builds, like the one you are using, use the older madwifi driver.

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
axis
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
Excellent, thanks for that - all I found at http://dd-wrt.com/site/support/router-database was the 14896 (plus a couple of older ones) so I assumed nothing newer was available...

Will give this a crack and report back.
axis
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
Grabbed 18777 for the C1 (which I understand should be fine on the C2) from your link. Have tried to upgrade via administration>firmware upgrade, but keeps crashing

Have tried Chrome, IE9 and Firefox but all seem to strike problems about a minute or so into the process. Chrome gave me the most info - showing % on the file upload, which proceeded nicely until 65%, stalled, then eventually crashed.

After the upload crash, internet access is still fine, however I can't access the router at the default IP address. Power cycling sorts it back out...

So then:
* Can I confirm the the C1 firmware should be fine on the C2?
* Thoughts on the upload issues?

Cheers
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
hrm, not sure, and this isn't the first i have read about this unit not being able to upgrade to newer builds, you are following the instructs in the wiki for this unit, yes?

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/DIR-615C

And yes, you should be fine using the C1 on a C2 as stated in the wiki.

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
axis
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes, following those exact instructions. Will try via a wired connection and see if that helps.

Failing that, should I try the "Alternate Install Method" via firmware update mode as shown in the wiki? Or is that only for the original firmware?
axis
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for your help buddee - wired connection fixed the upgrade issues and 18777 fixed the Tx strength issue.

Curiously, I've set the Tx at 20 dbm, yet it's reporting 19 in the status page - no big deal as I've seen a noticeable improvement in the WiFi at the far end of the house, but it's interesting nonetheless... Hard limit on the device perhaps?

Anyways, happy as I have my streaming XBMC back again Smile Much appreciated!
andrewtch
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 20:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
Try setting,in Advanced Wireless

Regulatory Domain: Canada
TX Power: 21dBm (This is the maximum DIR 615-C2 can go)
TX Antenna Chains: 1+2+3
RX Antenna Chains: 1+3

Again, you can set 36dBm in the TX Power (Canada's Max) but it will always be 21dBm as that is the maximum the hardware can output. Also, no point going above 20dBi as you might just cause more noise to be induced into the signal. Think of turning a set of speakers too loud and it starts distorting/cracking noise, so you wont be able to hear the music properly.

Also, you are a DIR-615 C2 user right?

Because there are many DIR-615 C1 and C2 users out there that were on DDWRT 17xxx builds, when upgraded to 18xxx builds, the wifi just wont turn on. Please confim that your wireless is working fine? Also, you were from a 14xxx build to 18777 right? not 17xxx to 18xxx?

I'm one of them who couldnt get the wifi working, along with about 6? others who voiced out over the 15 pages here:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=152511&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=18777&start=0

And many more scattered throughout the forum...
axis
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 0:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi andrewtch

Yes, all up and running nicely now - no issues with the WiFi not turning on. It was a little unstable (connection dropping out) at 20 dbi, so I have dropped it down to 17 - still good signal at the other end of the house, but much more stable now.

Confirming that this is on build 18777, and that I came from build 14896. Definitely a C2 as well.

Currently using Tx/Rx chains 1+3/1+3 as I found a reference somewhere saying this was the right setting for the DIR-615 - curious to know which is the 'right' setting here...

Wow, lots of issues in that thread! Sounds like I'm one of the lucky ones...
andrewtch
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 16:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hey, thank you so much for your reply. I think i'm going to go into emergency room and try to load 18777 and see if it's going to work. You're really lucky!
I'm using 1+2+3 ; 1+3 because this enabled the router to go to 21dBi maximum, with 1+3 ; 1+3 the max was, 19? Anyhows if it's good for you, keep it that way. Thanks again!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: