RIP2 Router, Router or gateway?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
safejunk
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 23:43    Post subject: RIP2 Router, Router or gateway? Reply with quote
Hi all,
Here is what my problem.....

Two Wireless Routers WRT350N
Firmware: DD-WRT v24-sp2 (06/08/12) mini-usb-ftp

One SBG6580 Cable Modem
Standard Specification Compliant : DOCSIS 3.0
Hardware Version : 2
Software Version : SBG6580-3.3.1.0-GA-90-058-NOSH

Here is my problem...

I have an Office router WRT350N Back part of my house where I have a small office IP 192.168.2.1 and I also have a Home router WRT350N IP 192.168.1.1 for my cable box, Apple TV, Laptops in the house. Office Router is mostly for two computers, one laptop, one VOIP box, Xbox in garage and a storage server.

Now I have both routers as Wireless AP's since the Home wireless router doesn't reach the back office and its handy having the office with wireless for laptop and iPhone. The Office Router and the Home Router have a direct connection to the Motorola SBG6580 Cable Modem and the modem is DHCP enabled (since I only get one IP from my provider) and both WRT350N's are setup as Gateways, Home having an WAN IP of 192.168.0.3 and Office WAN IP of 192.168.0.2 and SBG6580 Modem 192.168.0.1

My problem is I can't set a static route on the SBG6580 so the HOME router can see the OFFICE router. Both networks don't see each other.

I have managed to set a static route on the OFFICE router and the HOME router and also disabled the SPI firewalls on both routers... I can ping either 192.168.1.0 or 192.168.2.0 from either side but I cannot access printing, storage etc etc.. I tried to set both routers as ROUTER instead of GATEWAY but I loose internet access.

ANY Help would be GREATLY appreciated.
Sponsor
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 15:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
1. Read the broadcom forum announcements.
2. Set the routers to the same subnet, linked lan to lan. See the linking routers wiki.

LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
safejunk
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 18:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
Murrkf wrote:
1. Read the broadcom forum announcements.
2. Set the routers to the same subnet, linked lan to lan. See the linking routers wiki.

Hmm I guess this was my 2nd time around those two threads... either I'm too dumb to understand or I really don't see the solution to my problem there. The routers are not connected to each other but instead both are connected to the Modem. Now would you think that even though they are connected to the modem and have different WAN IP's, setting them both to the same subnet would work? Thanks for the response btw.
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 18:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
You have provided inadequate information to properly assess your problem, but you need to be connected LAN to LAN and should not have a WAN IP in your secondary routers if you set them up properly.

There are four threads, plus the wiki...not two.

LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
safejunk
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 19:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
Murrkf wrote:
You have provided inadequate information to properly assess your problem

Thanks a bunch for answering but its truly not helping.. if my information is inadequate, it would be nice to know what was missing.. yes there are 4 thread.. I meant the two places where you pointed out there is information to read. I am aware that I can go LAN to LAN but when I do that, my HOME router is a bit slow... having it connected to the MODEM seems much faster. I know you guys answer a lot of dumb question including mine.. and you would appreciate that most of us find the information on our own... I have tried and haven't been able to figure it out... I suppose I can go look elsewhere for help. Thanks for responding though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: