Asus RT-AC66U now in stock - DD-WRT compatibility?

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 90, 91, 92
studiovpc
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 22:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
So guys what's the most stable build for AC66U these days? Just got one for cheap... I have been on DDWRT for years on other routers, flashed the latest build in this one and GUI is just broken, cache in browser cleared, menus going crazy, like when CSS break down...

Other than that it freezes itself when doing that, so I took it back to stock for now until I realize which build is good...

So any recommendations?
Sponsor
spaceghost
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 22:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
studiovpc wrote:
So guys what's the most stable build for AC66U these days? Just got one for cheap... I have been on DDWRT for years on other routers, flashed the latest build in this one and GUI is just broken, cache in browser cleared, menus going crazy, like when CSS break down...

Other than that it freezes itself when doing that, so I took it back to stock for now until I realize which build is good...

So any recommendations?

Did you erase the nvram using the GUI or from a command-line? Sounds to me like you might have had some stale settings and needed to get back to a clean state. I'm currently running brainslayer's DD-WRT v3.0-r37139 giga 10/04/18 with no problems on my AC66U.
studiovpc
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 23:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
spaceghost wrote:
studiovpc wrote:

So any recommendations?

Did you erase the nvram using the GUI or from a command-line? Sounds to me like you might have had some stale settings and needed to get back to a clean state. I'm currently running brainslayer's DD-WRT v3.0-r37139 giga 10/04/18 with no problems on my AC66U.

From gui, first before on stock then after ddwrt... i have seen the same thing on my old Netgear WNR3500Lv1 newer builds have that weird crap, older ones not. I have it on 33555
And my TPLink WDR-4300 never experienced that thing on any build, I am beginning to see pattern here, Broadcom 😜

So what are you recommending that I do? I am on the latest stock
spaceghost
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 23:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
studiovpc wrote:
spaceghost wrote:
studiovpc wrote:

So any recommendations?

From gui, first before on stock then after ddwrt... i have seen the same thing on my old Netgear WNR3500Lv1 newer builds have that weird crap, older ones not. I have it on 33555
And my TPLink WDR-4300 never experienced that thing on any build, I am beginning to see pattern here, Broadcom 😜

So what are you recommending that I do? I am on the latest stock

Not sure what to say. Since my post 30 minutes ago I actually have just upgraded my AC-66U to the following and it is working perfectly fine. You definitely have the correct firmware for it? There are several versions of the AC-66U. One of them is actually an AC-68U chipset and needs that firmware so I guess I would make sure you aren't flashing the wrong FW for your exact model.

I'd say double-check your hardware codes and make sure you have the right FW, flash it and make sure you get it full nvram reset either via recovery mode, dd-wrt gui or command line. Read more here if you need https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Asus_RT-AC66U

My current working specs...
Router Name rt-ac66u
Router Model Asus RT-AC66U
Firmware Version DD-WRT v3.0-r38060 giga (12/20/18)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
spaceghost wrote:

Not sure what to say. Since my post 30 minutes ago I actually have just upgraded my AC-66U to the following and it is working perfectly fine. You definitely have the correct firmware for it? There are several versions of the AC-66U. One of them is actually an AC-68U chipset and needs that firmware so I guess I would make sure you aren't flashing the wrong FW for your exact model.

I'd say double-check your hardware codes and make sure you have the right FW, flash it and make sure you get it full nvram reset either via recovery mode, dd-wrt gui or command line. Read more here if you need https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Asus_RT-AC66U

My current working specs...
Router Name rt-ac66u
Router Model Asus RT-AC66U
Firmware Version DD-WRT v3.0-r38060 giga (12/20/1Cool

Yesy yes correct one, older version non B1 harware, not my first rodeo Smile

So let's see now, I should do it this way then:

1. Get it into recovery mode, clear nvram
2. reboot
3. flash ddwrt from recovery mode or from Asus gui?
4. Restore factory defaults from ddwrt GUI
5. That it?

Thank you for helping btw Wink
spaceghost
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yeah that seems pretty thorough. Good luck and I hope it works! I've found nvram clearing to be challenging sometimes (in that I could swear I had cleared nvram, but somehow it didn't 'take'). My guess is that something was lingering and not getting fully reset.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
spaceghost wrote:
Yeah that seems pretty thorough. Good luck and I hope it works! I've found nvram clearing to be challenging sometimes (in that I could swear I had cleared nvram, but somehow it didn't 'take'). My guess is that something was lingering and not getting fully reset.

then it must have been that in my case too...

should I use telnet to erase nvram as in wiki?
spaceghost
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 19:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yeah that should be good. I think that wiki has been updated and is pretty current. Please report back how you get on!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 20:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
spaceghost wrote:
Yeah that should be good. I think that wiki has been updated and is pretty current. Please report back how you get on!

I did it 👍 thank you for the support. Flashed 37139 I will update it ro some 38xxx build later...

Time to set guest network and then update TPLink WDR4300 too and set it as second router with guest network too...

After then I’ll play with Entware... I want to set Deluge torrent client
studiovpc
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 22:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
On thing that I found out, guest SSID broadcast is messed up... not working after reboot

It has something to do with security used, if I change it manually and save it shows up then. But I need it to show up every time, not worrying when and why it won't work

EDIT:

Back to good ol' r33607 which I was using on WDR4300 for a whole year... Everything working right out of the box! So yeah, staying on r33607 for now, as everything is soooo much stable

For now r37139 + r38060 are giving me soooo much WiFi errors both RX and TX, nothign so far on r33607
mhegab
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 20:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
studiovpc wrote:
spaceghost wrote:

Hi. Could you tell me the kernel version for the latest build for RT-AC66U? Thanks.
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 23:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
mhegab wrote:
studiovpc wrote:
spaceghost wrote:

Hi. Could you tell me the kernel version for the latest build for RT-AC66U? Thanks.

Please stop asking the same question over and over. Once or twice is enough. You’ve now asked 4 times.
If you can’t wait fir an answer, flash it yourself and find out.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
Malachi wrote:
mhegab wrote:
studiovpc wrote:
spaceghost wrote:

Please stop asking the same question over and over. Once or twice is enough. You’ve now asked 4 times.
If you can’t wait fir an answer, flash it yourself and find out.

I replied to his thread. It's amazing how quickly I found the answer using the SEARCH function on the forum. Rolling Eyes I felt generous and had a spoon handy.
mhegab
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
My apologies and thanks.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 90, 91, 92 Display posts from previous:    Page 92 of 92
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: