ASUS RT-N66U bad flash

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Exec
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 19:51    Post subject: Re: Changed build but same problem Reply with quote
dlnajb wrote:

I have a question for Exec: When you enable the 5ghz band do you have it in "Mixed" or "N-Only (5GHz)"? I'll experiment some more and post if I get anything different.

2.4GHz

NG-Mixed
Channel Width 40 MHz

5GHz
N-Only (5 GHz)
40MHz

Security for both WPA2 Personal Mixed AES
Sponsor
SirDremor
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yesterday I flashed to 19342.

The result for me:
2.4 and 5Ghz radios up and running, clients able to connect and surf the net... then (just as dlnajb already experienced) - in 10 minutes time both radios go crazy and clients lose all connection, 192.168.1.1 - unavailable Sad

I tried different wireless modes, security settings and even channels (just to be sure) but to no avail.
My last attempt ended with 5ghz radio completely off, the led was "on" but the network was inexistent.

Regardless, I wanted to use DD-WRT on this router primarily for VLAN capabilities (plus some other bells and whistles), but looks like for now I am sticking with stock firmware, it's ugly, but at least working without glitches. Actually it pumps 12-18MB\s of file transfers (max sustainable was ~20MB\s) on 5Ghz band and doesn't heat up that bad (it's a bit warmer than I like, but nothing to deeply worry about).

But, I'll keep waiting for a new DD-WRT version! Smile
dlnajb
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 15:19    Post subject: Success!! Well, kind of. Reply with quote
OK folks, here's what I've come up with to this point:

Asus RT-N66U #1 in AP mode
2.4ghz band on in "Mixed" mode running WPA2-AES security
5ghz band on in "N-Only" mode running no security

Asus RT-N66U #2 in Repeater Bridge mode
2.4ghz band off
5ghz band on in "N-Only" mode running no security

Now with these settings I noticed that both routers are right at the edge of their NVRAM stats, at 27-28 KB. I'm assuming that this has been what's causing the routers to fault, as trying to run both bands with security just makes them go nuts. This is why they're banging on so much about 64k NVRAM support in the other thread, which I assume would solve this issue. It has to be said though, for my purposes 5ghz to 5ghz works brilliantly. I was able to stream a full 1080p MKV to my Blu-Ray player without a hitch.

My best advice to those who were having problems like me is to get your routers linked first, then layer in security afterwards to see what works.
SirDremor
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 19:20    Post subject: Re: Success!! Well, kind of. Reply with quote
dlnajb wrote:
Now with these settings I noticed that both routers are right at the edge of their NVRAM stats, at 27-28 KB. I'm assuming that this has been what's causing the routers to fault, as trying to run both bands with security just makes them go nuts. This is why they're banging on so much about 64k NVRAM support in the other thread

Wow, man, you're awesome. Great job!

I also read about this NVRAM issue, and of course - here prior to installation, but never thought of it as the main reason for crashes.
But it really make sence.

Thank you! Then I'll just wait for DD version with good 64K support.
dlnajb
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 15:59    Post subject: All good in the hood... Reply with quote
Just an update: I've now secured the 5ghz band with WPA2-AES. Both routers holding stable on 27-28kb of NVRAM usage. I should note that I am using different SSID's and passkeys for each band. Huge thanks for DD-WRT!!
Exec
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 21:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
Same here.
2.4 and 5 GHz have different SSID and both different security key.
NVRAM usage : 29.88KB

Up since 27 days and no issue so far Smile
ortigosano
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 20:52    Post subject: I get tomato firm on my Asus RT-N66U but not dd-wrt Reply with quote
Hello everybody. I am going to try to expose my problem as best as I can.

My target is install dd-wrt in my Asus RT-N66U, I have read some information in this thread before and and I have follow the steps:

1) I have configured my network manually ( see the screenshot below)

2) Holding the reset botton with out energy cable, connect energy cable and switch on the router with the reset botton pressed till the "on" led blinks slowly.

3) Upload the firmware with the tool called "firmware restoration" included in CD from the Asus router on the software "ASUS RT-N66U software utilities".

4) I've try to upload the Asus RT-N66U Firmware: Image for initial flashing dd-wrt.v24-18702_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini_RT-N66U.trx 2012-03-15 3,29 MB
the transmission of the firmware gets OK! but at the end of the process I got this error: (see screenshot below:)

Here the error: (but in the point 7 with tomato firmware and same error works, therefore I guess that error is not so important)

5) I try to open the following link (http://192.168.1.1/do.htm?cmd=nvram+commit.) on my browser and I got a Time Out.

6)If I try with the same link (http://192.168.1.1/do.htm?cmd=nvram+commit.) in flash modus (see point 2) I got what the following screenshot shows, but noting works.

7) If I do the step 2 again and I try to get into the router the firmware called "http://tomato.groov.pl/download/K26RT-N/build5x-101-EN/Asus%20RT-N66u%2064k/tomato-K26USB-1.28.RT-N5x-MIPSR2-101-AIO-64K.trx"

I got the same problem of the screenshot in the point 4, but when the process was close to 74% more leds become illuminated, such us on led, network led, wireless 2,ghz led and wireless 5ghz led.

Cool Screenshot of tomato working fine:

9) what I am doing wrong? I really do not know. I want to install DD-WRT not tomato.

I did the step 4 again with the big firmware from DD-WRT (I waited always after flashing more than 20min.) And the router does not boot. (only leds of "ON" and network lan are illuminated. )

Thats all what I can said about my problem, if you have questions about it feel free to ask. Thanks in advance for your help.
Goto page Previous  1, 2 Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: