VPN over Client Bridge problems

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
darkassassin07
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:28    Post subject: VPN over Client Bridge problems Reply with quote
So I am a relative nub when it comes to networking and I have recently setup a Client bridge on a D-Link DIR-615 rev C2 in-order to provide wireless internet to a tower that does not have wi-fi capabilities.

I have this working fine but would like to setup a VPN via the dd-wrt firmware. I have enabled the PPTP server in the firmware and set the settings as follows:

Broadcast support: enabled
MPPE Encryption: Enabled
DNS1: <blank>
DNS2: <blank>
WINS1: <blank>
WINS2: <blank>
MTU: 1436 (default)
MRU: 1436 (default)
Server IP: 192.168.1.72 (IP assigned to the client when connected to my wi-fi)
Client IP(s): 192.168.0.150-199 (192.168.0.1 is the local IP of the router)
Max Clients: 50
Chap Secrets: <username> * <password> *

however when I ping the server IP from anther network I get the message: Host unreachable, and attempting to connect to the VPN gives error 800

What am I doing wrong? and how do I fix it?
Sponsor
darkassassin07
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
Update/bump:

I have set the server IP to 192.168.0.247
as well as added port forwarding for ports 1723 and 1792 (tcp) on both the client router and the router the client is connected to, but have had no luck.

from what I can tell the issue I am running into is the fact that I'm trying to connect to the server via a double NAT. because the server it self is running fine I can ping it and connect when on the LAN of the client router, but can't ping or connect when on wan (from the router the client is connected to or the internet)
darkassassin07
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 20:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
Another Update/bump: its been 3 days and still silence, it would be really nice to have some help on this as I don't really know what I'm doing.

Ok so i fixed my connection issue (im just a dumb ass and was trying to connect with an internal IP instead of the wan external IP)

Now the issue I'm having is that clients connected to the VPN cannot ping each other, or access file shares (network drive mapping \\servercompIP\folder)

when attempting to ping clients from other clients I get the error 'destination port unreachable'

Edit: Ok so I didn't explain exactly what I'm trying to do very well. The plan here is to have a pptp VPN network that I can connect to without installing anything on that client computer, and be able to access resources (printer and hard drives) of another client that will always be connected and on.
darkassassin07
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
Final Update: I have solved my problem

And said problem was my own stupidity. I did not have another computer to help test this available to me, so I was testing by connecting to the VPN via my android phone and attempting to ping the server/clients to no avail. I have since realized that my security app (free avast) was blocking my outgoing ping requests as it has a built in fire wall. (I opened the required ports on my phone and could ping fine) and now I have tested mapping drives and connecting with another computer.

Only took me 4 days to fix my own problem but thank you all for your attempts to help me... oh wait... nvm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: