5Ghz issue with DD-WRT v3.0-r33675M kongac and Netgear R7000

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
doheuk
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:50    Post subject: 5Ghz issue with DD-WRT v3.0-r33675M kongac and Netgear R7000 Reply with quote
Hi - hope someone much wiser and kinder than I can help, because I am literally losing sleep trying to fix this!

The 2.4Ghz band works fine, and on speedtest speeds are good at 80 and 6 Mbps, and with NordVPN running (reason for buying router and installing DD-WRT) reasonable at 45 and 6.

The issue is with the 5GHz band. The 5Ghz band is visible to some devices, but not all - changing channel just changes the devices it is visible to, but I cannot connect to it on any device or my desktop. Signal strength does vary as you might imagine dependent on channel. I've tried all the channels on 20,40 and 80 MHz, I've tried a hard reset, then erasevram, then rebooted again, and reinstalled my settings. Can anyone tell me a config that would work?

Many thanks,

doheuk
Sponsor
Xeon2k8
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 16:35    Post subject: Re: 5Ghz issue with DD-WRT v3.0-r33675M kongac and Netgear R Reply with quote
My R7000 is setup similar like on this guy's C9, plus the changes that I mention on my last comment on the thread:

https://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=313426

R6250 - BS 29193 running since 03/20/16 - (AP - NAS - FTP - SMB - DNSMasq - AdBlocking)
MakerMeCrazy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 19:46    Post subject: Re: 5Ghz issue with DD-WRT v3.0-r33675M kongac and Netgear R Reply with quote
doheuk wrote:
Hi - hope someone much wiser and kinder than I can help, because I am literally losing sleep trying to fix this!

The 2.4Ghz band works fine, and on speedtest speeds are good at 80 and 6 Mbps, and with NordVPN running (reason for buying router and installing DD-WRT) reasonable at 45 and 6.

The issue is with the 5GHz band. The 5Ghz band is visible to some devices, but not all - changing channel just changes the devices it is visible to, but I cannot connect to it on any device or my desktop. Signal strength does vary as you might imagine dependent on channel. I've tried all the channels on 20,40 and 80 MHz, I've tried a hard reset, then erasevram, then rebooted again, and reinstalled my settings. Can anyone tell me a config that would work?

Many thanks,

doheuk

Hi. Although I do not have the same router as you (mine is a Linksys ea6900), I am running the same build as you and have figured out a few things about the 2 wireless bands that you're asking about. Maybe it will be helpful to you in some way.

First of all, I had noticed that (at least) my Roku and Macbook Air could not find my 2.4GHz band, and so I changed the "WPA Algorithms" under Wireless>Wireless Security to TKIP & AES & WPA2 Personal, as it was only set to AES before. The wireless network mode under Wireless>Basic Settings is set to AP, mixed, auto channel, 20 MHz. That worked, and that band is now visible to all of my devices.

For my 5GHz band, I think AES worked ok by itself, but I now have it setup with both like I did with my 2.4GHz one. For some reason, my Roku (only, I think, as my computer could see it) couldn't see it either, and when I Googled the problem, I read that Rokus need channel 36 for whatever reason, so I set it up to use AP, NA-Mixed, Channel 36, WideHT40, upper. I saved and applied the settings, and now all of my devices can see and connect to it.

One thing I noticed, though, is that whenever I reboot my router, I often need to go in and verify that the settings have stuck, as there have been many times that things reverted back, or my wireless password would even change as well. I know that that has nothing to do with the router switching partitions at reboot, as I have a different build on my other partition so I would know.

ANyways, hope this helps you or someone else. Good luck!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: