NEWD-2_K2.6 and Repeater Mode ~ Discussion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
dm22
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:12    Post subject: NEWD-2_K2.6 and Repeater Mode ~ Discussion Reply with quote
I've done a little bit of playing around with repeater mode and K2.6 builds recently.

Interesting Links:
http://svn.dd-wrt.com:8000/ticket/1352 <= says it's broken since K26 13491-snow build
http://svn.dd-wrt.com:8000/ticket/2253 <= says it's broken since 16538
next best thing is 16454
Some people say 16785 works also.

So i'm trying to confirm with other users about some fact that surrounds the k2.6 builds + repeater mode.
Code:
1. None of the K2.6build works PROPERLY so far? someone correct me if i'm wrong.

2. Repeater is able to connect to Router source.

3. Repeater allows computer connected via ethernet to get online.

4. Repeater has VPN issues which does not allow user to connect.

5. Repeater VPN issues are due to incorrect MAC Address settings.

Ok, now some personal experience.

I'm using an Asus RT-N12/B1 Router with the dd-wrt.v24-17990_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini_RT-N12B1
I have Linksys WMP110 adapter and a Linksys Cisco Valet Adapter

Code:
1. Using Default repeater settings, i am only "sometimes" able to connect, such as waiting for a long(random) amount of  time

2. Using Default repeater settings, my WMP110 adapter takes a long (random) amount of time before connecting. ***However, my Cisco Valet doesn't seem to care and is able to connect immediately.*** <= ignores bad mac address? :)

3. Using Default repeater settings, if i run inSSid... i can detect TWO separate SSID of the same name using the correct MAC address, and a MAC address of 00:00:00:00:00

----------Solution-------
I am NOT able to reliably connect to the VPN if i change the MAC address using the MAC clone function as mentioned in RedHawk's Ticket page.
Code:

1. My original WAN MAC = C8:...A9, and Wireless MAC =C8:...:AA

2. After i change it to WAN MAC = C8:...:A7, and Wireless MAC = C8:...A8, it becomes

LAN MAC = C8:...:A8
WAN MAC = C8:...:A7
Wireless MAC = C8:...:A7

3. Using inSSid i detect my VPN being broadcasted as C8:...A8

The best thing i can hope for right now, is to connect using the Valet Adapter, and wait until the Linksys WMP110 adapter somehow manages to connect.

Anyone got some interesting things to add?

Last edited by dm22 on Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:26; edited 1 time in total
Sponsor
dm22
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
First post is getting too long so i'll make another post instead.

This is what happens when i pull the power from the router for 1 minute, and plug it back in.

Code:
1. Router starts up
2. Using inSSid, i can detect my Broadcasted SSID with MAC Address of 00:00:00:00:00
3. Cisco Wireless Adapter detect and attempt to connect, fails.
3. Using inSSid, i can detect my SECOND Broadcasted SSID with the correct MAC Address of C8:...:A8
4. Cisco Wireless Adapter detect and Successfully connects.
5. Linksys WMP110 wireless adapter subsequently connects after a FEW more failed attempts *note* time it takes to connect is totally random as far as i know as of now.

Somehow, the router broadcasts the 000000 mac address immediately after it's turned on.
The correct mac address SSID will always take a while longer before it can be detected using inSSid.
the Mac Address of 00000000 can no longer be detected by inSSid using the adapter, if the adapter is already connected to the SSID with the correct Mac Address
UNTIL i restart the computer...which repeats this process
linuxdude2
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
Is there any chance that you could use Repeater Bridge?? Because that works

redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 15:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
Eko indicated that its a Broadcom driver problem. I just tested a nightly build of 19436 K26_nokaid_small and it also has the same problem....so until Broadcom fixes the driver...it looks like we're stuck without R mode.

But as indicated...Repeater Bridge mode does work.

redhawk

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 17:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
linuxdude2 wrote:
Is there any chance that you could use Repeater Bridge?? Because that works

i could, but i am only interested in using repeater mode, which works half the time for my WMP110 adapter.
I made this thread to point out the stuff that i observed while testing different settings in repeater mode.

redhawk0 wrote:
Eko indicated that its a Broadcom driver problem. I just tested a nightly build of 19436 K26_nokaid_small and it also has the same problem....so until Broadcom fixes the driver...it looks like we're stuck without R mode.

But as indicated...Repeater Bridge mode does work.

redhawk

But repeater mode DOES work, somewhat...

Using my Valet AM10 Wireless Adapter, i can 100% able to connect to the VPN Everytime no problem. It doesn't seem to be bothered by the weird MAC Address. I just wanted to use the Linksys WMP110 adapter because it has better signal strength, but connects after a random amount of time.

i also noticed that if i keep enabling/disabling the adapter, i could force it to connect faster....

in Your Ticket 1352 and 2253 that I linked above, which one is true? because your 2253 ticket says 16538build worked for k26 builds. i'm a bit confused there as i dont have a router that works with 16538
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 15:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
The first ticket was for both K26 and NEWD-2 builds...the NEWD-2 builds were fixed (they were V24)

The second ticket is still valid for K26 builds...its been broken for quite some time.

There have been reports that some newer K26 builds are working in R mode for certain models...I'd love to know why some and not others...the WL driver would be the same for all units.

redhawk

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 17:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yeah its kinda wierd on mine too i have e1500 and it works somehow it needs tobe rebooted and if my laptop can now connect to it stop rebooting it
TPLINK - 1043ND v1.11 = 21223 client bridge
NETGEAR R7000 = 30880M Client Bridge
https://www.speedtest.net/my-result/d/beb94813-52a7-426d-b56b-d100a34364a3
dm22
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 22:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
i've been using the cisco AM10 wireless (usb)adapter and has no problem so far. Maybe it really just ignores the bad mac address problem.

I haven't been using Linksys wmp110 wireless (pci)adapter because i think it's been causing my computer to crash.

i'll have to test it out again when i buy another wireless adapter. However, If i really wanted to use the WMP110 to connect, all i have to do is "disable + enable" the adapter repeatedly and it'll eventually connect.

my laptop's Intel wireless adapter have a similar probem, but i dont have to disable/enable the adapter itself to connect. It'll say fail to connect initially, but i keep pressing "connect" and it'll keep re-trying which eventually connects after a few tries...
dm22
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've bought a new adapter today.
the TP-Link's TL-WN951N.
It also works with the router in repeater mode, despite it's weird mac. Smile
So it's not just the Cisco AM10 adapter that works, but rather my old Linksys WMP110 doesn't work because it is crapping out.

So would this mean that the 17990 build actually works as a repeater? I dont know...
But i've having zero connectivity issues with the repeater at this moment Smile

i have also re-tested all the builds AFTER 17990 till the newest 19342, and none of them works as a repeater.

I have not yet re-test all the builds from 16454 up to 17990 yet. Will do so in the future, but the earliest build for my router is 16754.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: