Flashing DD-WRT onto Asus RT-N66U

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
ortigosano
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 20:20    Post subject: ASUS RT-N66U flashing only works tomato firmware??? Reply with quote
Hello everybody. I am going to try to expose my problem as best as I can.

My target is install dd-wrt in my Asus RT-N66U, I have read some information in this thread before and and I have follow the steps:

1) I have configured my network manually ( see the screenshot below)

2) Holding the reset botton with out energy cable, connect energy cable and switch on the router with the reset botton pressed till the "on" led blinks slowly.

3) Upload the firmware with the tool called "firmware restoration" included in CD from the Asus router on the software "ASUS RT-N66U software utilities".

4) I've try to upload the Asus RT-N66U Firmware: Image for initial flashing dd-wrt.v24-18702_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini_RT-N66U.trx 2012-03-15 3,29 MB
the transmission of the firmware gets OK! but at the end of the process I got this error: (see screenshot below:)

Here the error: (but in the point 7 with tomato firmware and same error works, therefore I guess that error is not so important)

5) I try to open the following link (http://192.168.1.1/do.htm?cmd=nvram+commit.) on my browser and I got a Time Out.

6)If I try with the same link (http://192.168.1.1/do.htm?cmd=nvram+commit.) in flash modus (see point 2) I got what the following screenshot shows, but noting works.

7) If I do the step 2 again and I try to get into the router the firmware called "http://tomato.groov.pl/download/K26RT-N/build5x-101-EN/Asus%20RT-N66u%2064k/tomato-K26USB-1.28.RT-N5x-MIPSR2-101-AIO-64K.trx"

I got the same problem of the screenshot in the point 4, but when the process was close to 74% more leds become illuminated, such us on led, network led, wireless 2,ghz led and wireless 5ghz led.

Cool Screenshot of tomato working fine:

9) what I am doing wrong? I really do not know. I want to install DD-WRT not tomato.

I did the step 4 again with the big firmware from DD-WRT (I waited always after flashing more than 20min.) And the router does not boot. (only leds of "ON" and network lan are illuminated. )

Thats all what I can said about my problem, if you have questions about it feel free to ask. Thanks in advance for your help.
Sponsor
benito11
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 20:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
Try with 192.168.0.2 as yoir ip and 192.168.0.1 as target (router).

Maybe that's the problem
joecop67
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 20:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
Read: http://dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Asus_RT-N66U
ortigosano
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 21:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
benito11 wrote:
Try with 192.168.0.2 as yoir ip and 192.168.0.1 as target (router).

Maybe that's the problem

Thanks for the info,

Are you sure? I am ready always the following configuration:

Ip address: 192.168.1.2
Subnet: 255.255.255.0
Router: 192.168.1.1

Thanks in advance.!
ortigosano
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 21:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
joecop67 wrote:
Read: http://dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Asus_RT-N66U

Thanks, I think the information is wrong because the firmware extension of this routers works with .txr not with.bin
joecop67
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 21:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
The guide says to use a .trx file for initial flash.
adamchal
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 21:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
Folks, the bottom line is, dd-wrt is just not reliable on the Asus RT-N66U. I bit the bullet and have switched to Tomato for this router. It's really similar to dd-wrt. I'm really upset, but trust me, it's not worth the agony of trying to get dd-wrt to work with this router.

I'm sure this will change in the future, but if you've already purchased one, I'd recommend giving Tomato a shot in the interim. Here's a quote from one of my earlier posts:

adamchal wrote:

I'm running this version of Tomato successfully on a RT-N66U:
http://goo.gl/KBdl6
bfbd5a4913f9079bfa3a9ecbb10401c3 (md5)

I've been running this for a few weeks now and I must say the OpenVPN and wireless performance is incredible.

When the DD-WRT version is ready for this router, someone should make a lot of noise! Until then, Tomato is the way to go.
ortigosano
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 22:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
joecop67 wrote:
The guide says to use a .trx file for initial flash.

I did it, but the router does not react even for a ping, therefore I cannot acces via telnet or ssh for clean the nvram. suggestions?
thanks again.
joecop67
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 23:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
Clearing the nvram on this router is done with wps button (like on RT-N16), not with reset button.
1. when the unit is powered on, hold down its wps button for 30 seconds
2. while still holding down the wps button, unplug the router from power and hold for an additional 30 seconds
3. still holding down the wps button, turn on power to the router again and hold for 30 more seconds

After this process (a total of 90 seconds) is complete, your router should be restored to its factory default state
ortigosano
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
joecop67 wrote:
Clearing the nvram on this router is done with wps button (like on RT-N16), not with reset button.
1. when the unit is powered on, hold down its wps button for 30 seconds
2. while still holding down the wps button, unplug the router from power and hold for an additional 30 seconds
3. still holding down the wps button, turn on power to the router again and hold for 30 more seconds

After this process (a total of 90 seconds) is complete, your router should be restored to its factory default state

First of all thanks a lot for your help.

A)I have finished to upload the mini version of dd-wrt an the router was like this:

B) I have done the 30/30/30 seconds rule with the wps button.

After that the router status leds it was like this:

C) I have installed again the Firmware dd-wrt.v24-18702_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini_RT-N66U.trx (with firmware restoration)

D) I have done again the 90 seconds rule for clean NVRAM

E) by web browser the IP 192.168.1.1 does not make anyreaction

F) Anyway I have try to install the new firmware (http://dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/others/eko/V24-K26/svn18946/dd-wrt.v24-18946_NEWD-2_K2.6_big.bin) with firmware restoration. (the router status leds was like in the step A)

G) I have done again the 90 seconds. ( the router status leds was like in the step B)

H) 192.168.1.1 does not react. I still do not get dd-wrt working on my Asus RT-N66U

do you know what I am doing wrong?
Thanks a lot in advance.
afxsoftware
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
I also had many problems but found instructions in this thread that worked for me.

Follow these steps carefully and you should have no issue’s completing this.

- Set your NIC card to static > IP 192.168.1.12, Subnet 255.255.255.0, Default gateway192.168.1.1

- Put router into recovery mode by holding down the reset button while powering up the router, wait until the power led is blinking slowly, then release the reset button.

- Access the router’s built in recovery mode by issuing 192.168.1.1 in browser field.

- Flash DD-WRT build (e.g.) Asus-RT-N66U_18777_mini build and upload. When completed wait at least 10 minutes.

- Put router into recovery mode by holding down the reset button while powering up the router, wait until the power led is blinking slowly, then release the reset button.

- Flash DD-WRT build (e.g.) Asus-RT-N66U_18777_big build and upload. When completed wait at least 10 minutes

- Select Reset NVRAM defaults when it completes (should be quick), in the browser field, type in http://192.168.1.1/do.htm?cmd=nvram+commit. When done press enter. When complete select reboot and wait 5-10 minutes for the router to reboot and start building its layers.

- Now you should be able to access via web gui 192.168.1.1 and it should be DD-WRT.
ortigosano
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 13:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
afxsoftware wrote:
I also had many problems but found instructions in this thread that worked for me.

- Set your NIC card to static > IP 192.168.1.12, Subnet 255.255.255.0, Default gateway192.168.1.1

- Access the router’s built in recovery mode by issuing 192.168.1.1 in browser field.

- Flash DD-WRT build (e.g.) Asus-RT-N66U_18777_mini build and upload. When completed wait at least 10 minutes.

- Flash DD-WRT build (e.g.) Asus-RT-N66U_18777_big build and upload. When completed wait at least 10 minutes

- Select Reset NVRAM defaults when it completes (should be quick), in the browser field, type in http://192.168.1.1/do.htm?cmd=nvram+commit. When done press enter. When complete select reboot and wait 5-10 minutes for the router to reboot and start building its layers.

- Now you should be able to access via web gui 192.168.1.1 and it should be DD-WRT.

thanks a lot for your answer, I think my router was a little bit defect, I have send it back.

I have bought another one (D-Link 825 also compatible with DD-WRT but does not do so many thinks as the Asus RT-N66u.

I will send it back and I am going to try again with a new assus RT-N66U on tuesday, I will let you know.
C_T
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:07    Post subject: Asus RT-N66U flashing - works - success! Reply with quote
I got my Asus RT-N66U to work recently (late August-September). Mine is a B1 hardware version.

I followed the instructions and flashed it dozens of times and waited and waited. I also tried many differnt build versions. The 192.168.1.1 interface would never come back up after a flash (can't do http://192.168.1.1/do.htm?cmd=nvram+commit ). I've flashed other routers before and this was never a problem.

I opened the router and attached a serial level shifter. It was hanging on

Booting device: Linksys WRT54G/GL/GS
roboswitch: Probing device eth0: No such device
roboswitch: Probing device eth1: No such device
roboswitch: Probing device eth2: No such device
roboswitch: Probing device eth3: No such device
Segmentation fault
/etc/preinit: line 66: can't create /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_conntrack_max: nonexistent directory
/etc/preinit: line 66: can't create /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_conntrack_max: nonexistent directory
get_wl_instance doesnt return the right value 0
wl:-i down ->wl driver adapter not found
Write wireless mac fail : : No such device
wl:-i up ->wl driver adapter not found
br0: Dropping NETIF_F_UFO since no NETIF_F_HW_CSUM feature.
wl:-i vlan_mode 0 ->wl driver adapter not found
wl:-i radio on ->wl driver adapter not found
SIOCGIFFLAGS: No such device
SIOCGIFFLAGS: No such device
wl:-i radio on ->wl driver adapter not found
No such device
Bad argument `DNAT'
No such device
No such device
No such device
No such device
No such device

I reason the nvram build was incomplete the first time, possibly due to script segfaulting, evidenced by the fact that erasing the nvram and rebuilding doesn't segfault the second time around and puts nvram in a working state. My serial output looked like Fractal's Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:24 pm post ( http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=680125 ) Simply rebooting did not help.

So I ran CFE> nvram erase and CFE> nvram commit and CFE> go and it finally booted and I could ping it.

I couldn't have done it without Fractal's post and a serial adapter.

Last edited by C_T on Sat Oct 13, 2012 20:47; edited 10 times in total
gatorback
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 14:49    Post subject: NVRAM Allocation Workaround? Reply with quote
My limited understanding of the problem with this model is that DD-WRT does not provide 64KB NVRAM Allocation. The problem is exacerbated by twin radios.

I don't think that any of the above has a work around for the NVRAM allocation issue: this has forced me to seek alternatives (Tomatoe). I am hoping that someone will tell me I'm wrong and publish there success on the Wiki for this model.

mavo460
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 13:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
afxsoftware wrote:

This works fine for my new Router on Hardware Rev B1. Thanks! Smile
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 3 of 10
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: