Flashing DD-WRT onto Asus RT-N66U

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Author Message
dlnajb
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 04 Jul 2012
Posts: 14

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 19:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
Malachi wrote:
victorhooi wrote:
Hi,

@malachi - I tried the link you pasted:

ftp://dd-wrt.com/betas/2014/03-29-2014-r23838/broadcom_K3X/dd-wrt.v24-23838_NEWD-2_K3.x-big-RT-N66U.trx.

but it seems to be a 404 - is there an updated build we should be using please?

(This is coming from a stock Asus firmware - well....it's currently just done a firmware restoration, waiting for it to reboot).

Thanks in advance,
Victor


Try ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2014/03-29-2014-r23838/broadcom_K3X/dd-wrt.v24-23838_NEWD-2_K3.x-big-RT-N66U.trx.


I got the K3 build from your link above. I have an RT-N66U that has an earlier DD-WRT build on it (18740). Can I update the firmware with the file above with the web interface, or should I do it in recovery mode?
Sponsor
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru


Joined: 17 Jul 2012
Posts: 7221
Location: Columbus, Ohio

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 20:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
No. That file is for first time flashing only. As it is a trailed build.
Read the wiki page for the rt-n66u.
You can flash that if you first flash back to asus fw.
To flash back to asus, just change the .trx ending to .bin and upgrade it like normal.
I never use the recovery method.

_________________
I am far from a guru, I'm barely a novice.
-DELETED_Klappis
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 13 Apr 2014
Posts: 12

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
Malachi wrote:
No. That file is for first time flashing only. As it is a trailed build.
Read the wiki page for the rt-n66u.
You can flash that if you first flash back to asus fw.
To flash back to asus, just change the .trx ending to .bin and upgrade it like normal.
I never use the recovery method.


I am using the DD-WRT v24-sp2 (02/04/14) big - build 23503

Should i upgrade? And how do i do that and which build?

Another note is when changing Wireless channels it reverts to Auto. Why is that?

Thanks!
hariskar
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 25 Nov 2014
Posts: 1

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 14:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
I flashed dd-wrt.v24-25408_NEWD-2_K3.x_mega_RT-N66U.trx from asus stock firmware wui. I cleared nvram and rebooted, but I saw again asus stock firmware interface. What did I do wrong?
Thank you
rgraville
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 18 Jan 2015
Posts: 18

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just received my new RT-N66U and flashed it to DD-WRT. It is replacing an old WRT54G v.6 that is giving up the ghost.

I am new to the K3 builds (obviously used the K24 builds on my old router) and so was looking for differences in the packages.

Per the wiki:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/What_is_DD-WRT%3F#File_Versions

There are tables there for features in the k24 and k26 builds. Are the K3 builds using the same feature set as the k26 builds? Is there a new table or wiki page I have been unable to find?

Thanks!

Russ
cesthree
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 22 Aug 2009
Posts: 9

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 17:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
Here's what worked for me, today.

Using the following:
-ASUS RT-N66U H/W rev B1
-dd-wrt.v24-26138_NEWD-2_K3.x_mega_RT-N66U.trx

Steps I took to flash from stock ASUS firmware to DD-WRT:
1-Clear NVRAM using WPS button
--starting with router powered off
--hold WPS button
--keep holding while powering on router
--continue to hold WPS button for at least 10 seconds
--wait until web GUI is accessible AND can ping router at 192.168.1.1

2-Flash K3.X firmware variant
--navigate to ASUS firmware update page in web GUI (will have to skip initial set-up of stock router firmware)
--update firmware by browsing to .trx file location and click appropriate button in web GUI
--wait until web GUI is accessible AND can ping router at 192.168.1.1
--change default username/password and access web GUI to verify DD-WRT is installed

3-Clear NVRAM using WPS button
--starting with router powered off
--hold WPS button
--keep holding while powering on router
--continue to hold WPS button for at least 10 seconds
--wait until web GUI is accessible AND can ping router at 192.168.1.1

4-configure as needed
--change username/password
--configure security settings, wireless, WAN, DNS, LAN, etc.

This entire process took about 15 minutes. Router is running great.

Thanks for all who have contributed to this thread.

Peace!
Joseph85750
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 02 May 2013
Posts: 8

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 21:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
cesthree wrote:
Here's what worked for me, today.

Using the following:
-ASUS RT-N66U H/W rev B1
-dd-wrt.v24-26138_NEWD-2_K3.x_mega_RT-N66U.trx

Steps I took to flash from stock ASUS firmware to DD-WRT:
1-Clear NVRAM using WPS button
--starting with router powered off
--hold WPS button
--keep holding while powering on router
--continue to hold WPS button for at least 10 seconds
--wait until web GUI is accessible AND can ping router at 192.168.1.1

2-Flash K3.X firmware variant
--navigate to ASUS firmware update page in web GUI (will have to skip initial set-up of stock router firmware)
--update firmware by browsing to .trx file location and click appropriate button in web GUI
--wait until web GUI is accessible AND can ping router at 192.168.1.1
--change default username/password and access web GUI to verify DD-WRT is installed

3-Clear NVRAM using WPS button
--starting with router powered off
--hold WPS button
--keep holding while powering on router
--continue to hold WPS button for at least 10 seconds
--wait until web GUI is accessible AND can ping router at 192.168.1.1

4-configure as needed
--change username/password
--configure security settings, wireless, WAN, DNS, LAN, etc.

This entire process took about 15 minutes. Router is running great.

Thanks for all who have contributed to this thread.

Peace!


Hello, where specifically did you download:
dd-wrt.v24-26138_NEWD-2_K3.x_mega_RT-N66U.trx
?

The instructions are a bit confusing. I've read about the WPS button and the 'reset' button-- often interchangeably. The descriptions of which buttons are used during the upgrade process aren't very clear.

Also, can't the upgrade be done directly with the stock web interface by browsing to the .trx file, uploading, and applying it?

I'd rather not end up with a door-stop
( it's not heavy enough to be a useful brick)

Thanks!
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru


Joined: 17 Jul 2012
Posts: 7221
Location: Columbus, Ohio

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 21:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
Log into the router, go to the update page, load this ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2015/02-04-2015-r26138/broadcom_K3X/dd-wrt.v24-26138_NEWD-2_K3.x-big-RT-N66U.trx.
When it is done booting up and you can log into dd-wrt, telnet into it and type erase nvram, then reboot or use the factory default option in the GUI.

_________________
I am far from a guru, I'm barely a novice.
Joseph85750
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 02 May 2013
Posts: 8

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 23:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks Malachi! That did the trick. Pretty easy.
cesthree
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 22 Aug 2009
Posts: 9

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
Malachi wrote:
Log into the router, go to the update page, load this ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2015/02-04-2015-r26138/broadcom_K3X/dd-wrt.v24-26138_NEWD-2_K3.x-big-RT-N66U.trx.
When it is done booting up and you can log into dd-wrt, telnet into it and type erase nvram, then reboot or use the factory default option in the GUI.


Man, I see you recommend "telnet into it" a lot. I understand the applications for telnet, ssh, etc.; however, I never understand the need for using those interface types--especially as an end user who just needs the functionality of a router.

This should be simple-stupid stuff in 2015. Like one click stupid. Yes, we need people intimate with electronics and programming to maintain equipment. But those who just need to config and get on with life shouldn't need to telnet once, not even in an Enterprise atmosphere.

Once a device leaves the factory those interfaces should be used minimally. If an organization uses them frequently, not only is that a potential security risk, but it is not efficient when SNMP or other protocols/software exist to handle these issues from a central management console.

To me it's like this:
-We have the ability to use a web GUI
--We use GUI's to make collections of commands that are used frequently easy to access
---So that we can just get on with our lives and not have to remember thousands of commands

A hundred years ago people had to stick a crank into the engine on their cars to start them up. Now I just sit down and push a button--I don't even have to use a key.

I thought one of the goals of technology was to make our lives simpler. Should I still need to stick a crank into my router to flash firmware?

This is by no means a dig at you, Malachi, as I know you are simply trying to help, and you have done so thousands of times. I am just pondering an element of simplicity. And I fully accept that I may not fully understand something here, and with that knowledge this would all make sense.
cesthree
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 22 Aug 2009
Posts: 9

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
I will do my best to help answer all of your questions although it looks like Malachi has done so already?

First, I used the RT-N66U wiki heavily for my information. It is here: link

Joseph85750 wrote:
Hello, where specifically did you download:
dd-wrt.v24-26138_NEWD-2_K3.x_mega_RT-N66U.trx
?


On the above linked wiki, you will find a section called "Installation Instructions". Use the latest entry at the top of the section titled "09-Sept-2014".

Two links, ftp and http, can be used to find the firmware you desire. I chose the latest. Feel free to experiment with other builds to see if they work for you if you encounter an issue (5Ghz band, HTTPS, rebooting, etc.) after all DD-WRT firmware are entirely betas.

Joseph85750 wrote:
The instructions are a bit confusing. I've read about the WPS button and the 'reset' button-- often interchangeably. The descriptions of which buttons are used during the upgrade process aren't very clear.


My instructions only ever mention the WPS button. I never touched the reset button. In fact, the word "reset" is never used in my instructions.

Again, using the above linked wiki, you will find a section just above "Installation Instructions" titled "Know your hardware buttons" the difference between the WPS and reset buttons is outlined very clearly in this section. Directly quoted from the wiki:
DD-WRT wiki for RT-N66U wrote:
WPS button: pressing the Red WPS button while power-up, will clear the NVRAM. All settings are stored in NVRAM of this ASUS router. Clearing the NVRAM is the most efficient way to reset the router to default settings.

That is: press and hold the WPS button, keep pressing the reset button while plugging in the power, then keep holding the WPS button pressed for about ten seconds, then release the WPS button. All settings have now been wiped, and default settings will be used.


Joseph85750 wrote:
Also, can't the upgrade be done directly with the stock web interface by browsing to the .trx file, uploading, and applying it?

In section two of my instructions, and I quote:
cesthree wrote:
2-Flash K3.X firmware variant
--navigate to ASUS firmware update page in web GUI (will have to skip initial set-up of stock router firmware)
--update firmware by browsing to .trx file location and click appropriate button in web GUI


I believe that answers all of your questions. Please let me know if you need further clarification.

Thanks!
RabidMonkey
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 30 Apr 2012
Posts: 10

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm running DD-WRT v24-sp2 (02/04/15)revision 26138 mega build and I'm trying to create a guest network. I've followed this guide by Kong and this guide on the wiki but I'm not getting it to work right. The SSID is broadcasting but two things are happening, 1 the SSID isn't the one I inputted. It's broadcasting the first word of the 2.4Ghz SSID. Secondly, my 5Ghz AP stops broadcasting. How can I get this to work correctly and broadcast the SSID I want?

Thanks for the help
momomnx
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 23 Mar 2015
Posts: 1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 23:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi I just read the topic and didn't found any solution for my problem.

I have an Asus RT-N66U router HW Vers.: B1

I started doing everything like written in the wiki instructions and put this firmware on my router: dd-wrt.v24-24461_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini_RT-N66U .trx


Actually I can't access now the router anymore.

I have already set my ip to 192.168.1.12, standard gatway to 192.168.1.1 and so on.

Actually I have a connection to the router but still can't acess the web interface.

I have tried 30/30/30 reset first with the reset button afterwards with wps button. Didnt't work.

I tried: Pressing WPS Button for 10 seconds during powering on and then with and without pressing the reset button. Didn't work, too.

Somethimes I even get an LED light showing the wifi signal power on. But I don't have an wifi signal.

Now I really have no idea what to try next, as I don't find any further solutions. If there is someone how can help I would be very pleased.
bachya
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 12 Mar 2008
Posts: 20

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
RabidMonkey wrote:
I'm running DD-WRT v24-sp2 (02/04/15)revision 26138 mega build and I'm trying to create a guest network. I've followed this guide by Kong and this guide on the wiki but I'm not getting it to work right. The SSID is broadcasting but two things are happening, 1 the SSID isn't the one I inputted. It's broadcasting the first word of the 2.4Ghz SSID. Secondly, my 5Ghz AP stops broadcasting. How can I get this to work correctly and broadcast the SSID I want?

Thanks for the help


I'm trying to get the same scenario working (using build 26138M); super frustrating. Will let you know if I figure anything out.
kozy
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 13 Jun 2015
Posts: 1

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks a lot cesthree !

cesthree wrote:
2-Flash K3.X firmware variant
--navigate to ASUS firmware update page in web GUI (will have to skip initial set-up of stock router firmware)
--update firmware by browsing to .trx file location and click appropriate button in web GUI
--wait until web GUI is accessible AND can ping router at 192.168.1.1
--change default username/password and access web GUI to verify DD-WRT is installed

3-Clear NVRAM using WPS button
--starting with router powered off
--hold WPS button
--keep holding while powering on router
--continue to hold WPS button for at least 10 seconds
--wait until web GUI is accessible AND can ping router at 192.168.1.1


Small note as I was a bit uncomfortable when I couldn't ping 192.168.1.1 or access the GUI after submitting the dd-wrt firmware through the update page : I had to ignore the last two items of step 2 and jump straight to step 3.

So that would be more like :
Quote:
2-Flash K3.X firmware variant
--navigate to ASUS firmware update page in web GUI (will have to skip initial set-up of stock router firmware)
--update firmware by browsing to .trx file location and click appropriate button in web GUI
--wait until the upload is complete and the GUI instructs to reboot the router
--turn off the router

3-Clear NVRAM using WPS button
--starting with router powered off
--hold WPS button
--keep holding while powering on router
--continue to hold WPS button for at least 10 seconds
--wait until web GUI is accessible AND can ping router at 192.168.1.1
--change default username/password and access web GUI to verify DD-WRT is installed
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 9 of 10
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You can attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum