Help please. Improper firmware flash on Belkin F7D7301 v1000

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
smarttowers
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 0:35    Post subject: Help please. Improper firmware flash on Belkin F7D7301 v1000 Reply with quote
I flashed dd-wrt.v24-15396-NEWD-K2.6_mini_f7d3301.bin onto the router and was GTG. So I went to flash a mega version on it. I had trouble finding the mega then finally went to the stable builds v24sp1 and got dd-wrt.v24_mega_generic and flashed that.

As I'm sure anyone who can help me knows as I now know that was the wrong firmware. Result was a brand new Belkin brick.

Any help on this would be appreciated. No power when I plug it in verified the power supply is getting proper voltage. Ping returns host not reachable. Is there any hope or is this a JTAG required fix?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsor
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
Search for the initial 3301 / 3302 / 4301 / 4302 threads in the forum.
There is info in them from users telling how to flash this series of routers by using the rescue/recovery gui page in the boot loader immediately after router reboot.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
LOM wrote:
Search for the initial 3301 / 3302 / 4301 / 4302 threads in the forum.
There is info in them from users telling how to flash this series of routers by using the rescue/recovery gui page in the boot loader immediately after router reboot.

I was able to flash it initially to DD-WRT but when I tried putting the mega build on it like an idiot I flashed the wrong version. Now the router won't even turn on.

I'm wondering if this is fixable without a JTAG or if I need to order one and even with it if its fixable or possibly a real brick now.
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
I doubt that is caused by flashing the wrong build, the router shouldn't get killed by that.
LED's should still turn on so check your power adapter and power connector.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
The initial flash worked and I had DD-WRT working. Then I flashed the wrong mega version on it when it attempted to reboot no lights came on and I have been unable to reboot it.

I checked the power adapter and it is sending the proper voltage. Its brand new so doubt its a plug issue. I'm fairly new to DD-WRT but have flashed a few other routers with no problem. This time I am certain I've flashed the wrong version.

From what I have been able to find out it needs v24sp2 and I flashed a stable build which is v24sp1 I believe.
astinsan
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 13:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
You need to do a serial recovery or jtag recovery.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Serial_Recovery#Serial_Interfaces

The lights aren't turning on but your router is working. It just can't boot the firmware you uploaded.
smarttowers
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 22:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
astinsan thanks for the information. I was hoping it was fixable without the jtag but I had already researched and ready to purchase if needed. I just placed the order for a jtag after reading your post thanks again.
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
smarttowers wrote:
astinsan thanks for the information. I was hoping it was fixable without the jtag but I had already researched and ready to purchase if needed. I just placed the order for a jtag after reading your post thanks again.

Your most essential tool is a serial TTL level to RS-232 or to USB converter with which you do a serial terminal connection to the routers internal serial port.

The boot log you get on the terminal screen will tell you if you need to jtag it or not.
jtag can rewrite your flash but can not give you any information about what is going on in your router.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
I un-bricked a F7D7301
TFTP wouldn't work.
Serial RS-232 wouldn't work.
jtag worked!

I knew I flashed the wrong restore bin (NVram)
That's what bricked it.

I used Tornados Tjtag program.
Command that fixed it was:
tjtag -erase:nvram /cable:DLC5 /fc:43 /byte_mode

You may need to this too:
tjtag -erase:kernel /cable:DLC5 /fc:43 /byte_mod

Then you would need to jtag a new kernel.
Not sure how to do that, I'm a noob at Jtags

By the way, here is the latest mega build that works well on the Belkin F7D7301. You probably should have use this.
http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/others/eko/V24-K26/svn18946/dd-wrt.v24-18946_NEWD-2_K2.6_mega.bin
From http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/support/other-downloads?path=others/eko/V24-K26
smarttowers
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 0:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
the_bhagwan wrote:
I un-bricked a F7D7301
TFTP wouldn't work.
Serial RS-232 wouldn't work.
jtag worked!

I knew I flashed the wrong restore bin (NVram)
That's what bricked it.

I used Tornados Tjtag program.

Then you would need to jtag a new kernel.

By the way, here is the latest mega build that works well on the Belkin F7D7301. You probably should have use this.
http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/others/eko/V24-K26/svn18946/dd-wrt.v24-18946_NEWD-2_K2.6_mega.bin
From http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/support/other-downloads?path=others/eko/V24-K26

Well this gives me hope. I opened the router today. I'm trying to determine which ports are the jtag. Any help on how you found the pinout and which were the actual jtag? Did you need to use solderless pins or was it the 14 pin that is already on the board?

Any help is appreciated and thanks for posting your experience with the same problem.
ghoffman
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 13:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
LOM wrote:
I doubt that is caused by flashing the wrong build, the router shouldn't get killed by that.
LED's should still turn on so check your power adapter and power connector.

i just got this router and flashed it with some false starts but eventual success last night.

this router has only 1 status light.

if you do a 30-30-30 type reset, the router will go into cfe recovery mode. THERE WILL BE NO LIGHT ON.
if you successfully flashed dd-wrt once, then the recovery mode gui is at 192.168.1.1. if you somehow got back to the original firmware, it is at 192.168.2.1.

you should set your ethernet adapter to a fixed ip address, such as 192.168.1.11 with netmask 255.255.255.0. you can tell if you have the recovery mode because the ping response is ttl=100.

the recovery mode is a gui that you access via web browser. i am told ff doesn't work, but ie does. i got to it with ie. tftp does NOT work, despite the ttl=100 ping response. this is very different than other routers.

if you are not in the recovery mode, try the 30-30-30 technique again. if you are in recovery mode, flash the correct firmware via the gui. DO NOT DO ANYTHING FOR 10 MINUTES; then power cycle the router, and wait another 1-2 minutes. you can ping the thing to figure out what is going on. a successful plash will response to ping with ttl=64,and then you can access the web interface.

i hope this helps
the_bhagwan
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 16:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
smarttowers wrote:

Well this gives me hope. I opened the router today. I'm trying to determine which ports are the jtag. Any help on how you found the pinout and which were the actual jtag? Did you need to use solderless pins or was it the 14 pin that is already on the board?

Any help is appreciated and thanks for posting your experience with the same problem.

See post Below

Last edited by the_bhagwan on Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:43; edited 2 times in total
the_bhagwan
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
for jtag see attached schematic

jtag is the 14 pin connector. I used an ohm meter to determine connector orientation by determining the 5 ground pins(2,4,6,8,10). No connection on pins 11,12,13,and 14. I made a mating ribbon cable connection by carefully cutting an old floppy drive cable with an exacto saw. I used old printer cable for the other end. I used 220 ohm resistors because I didn’t have 100 ohm, worked fine. I had to use a 32 bit windows computer with 25 pin printer connector for Tornado’s latest program. Tornado doesn’t have a 64 bit windows version yet.

In my case I erased the nvram and that worked.

Then you would need to load a new kernel.

jtag.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  68.07 KB
 Viewed:  23510 Time(s)

jtag.jpg

lugdor
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
Do we need multiple ground points as shown in the diagram, or can we get by with one?

_____
EDIT: just going to ground em all.
gossipninja
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 15:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
Have a belkin share n300 and I too did an improper flash, mine is a bit worse.

Like a dummy, I didn't fully read the instructions and flashed the "dd-wrt.v24-18946_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini_f7d3301.bin"
file as though it was factory firmware through the belkin interface.

The router powers on, led is on, but no connection.

Am I screwed?

Thanks
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: