After a lighting chock to my wrt54gl1.1...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Bib
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 13:08    Post subject: After a lighting chock to my wrt54gl1.1... Reply with quote
... I found lan port LED #3 blinks high rate, I could not wire connect to the blue box anymore with dhcp on any port, and lease was veeeery long to obtain from wifi. No problems although with a static IP but on port # which is dead from Death's.
I recovered a normal DHCP behaviour disabling the #3 port in VLANs (maybe a bridge overload? although GUI access kept responsive as usual once connected with the remaining methods before disabling the dead port).
Could some tell me a way to disabled the LED that keeps flashing ? I didn't find anything within GPIO and of course I could unsolder it or some cap/res CB13~B15 / RB13~RB16 and/or C14 / RD10~RD12...
No need to say I ran several hard resets.
Thanks for suggestions

DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 23:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
AFAIK (reading Barryware and mbm findings, among others) (and my own understanding) the switch in a router is a different piece of hardware, and the port LEDs are hardwired to it, therefore, you can´t control them from the SoC.
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
Okaaay GI, I didn't find barryware nor mbm publications about the switch, nor any specific chip in the blue box but the Broadcom chip and the PHY transformer so I'll remove the led. This will spare some few mA supply.

Have a good day

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 17:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
I agree on desoldering the LED, but just in case you want to keep reading:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=446335

mbm wrote:
LEDs -
Most people assume the LEDs on the front are deterministic, and that by telling you which LEDs are lit you can instantly tell if the hardware is working or where it crashed in bootup. This unfortunately isn't the slightest bit true.

- Power LED. The biggest mistake people make here is "my power led is blinking, what does that mean?". There's an assumption that if the LED is blinking there must be software turning the LED on and off, and that it must mean something. The blinking is actually done in hardware; software only as the ability to set the LED "on" or "blink" -- it defaults to blink on power up and isn't set to on until after the firmware boots. If the led is on then you know the firmware booted; blinking really doesn't tell you much.

- Switch LEDs. The second common mistake is "the switch still works". Of course the switch still works, it's a separate piece of hardware and the LEDs are wired directly to it. The only useful bit of information you can get is "all the switch LEDs are lit". When the switch chip is reset, all of the ports will light up (even if no devices are connected) for about a second; this happens at power up and again as the firmware boots and reprograms the switch. If they stay lit, you're either a moron for not noticing the ports are actually in use, or someone has broken/shorted the switch chip. You can also notice reboot loops by watching for the switch reset.

- Diag/DMZ LED. Controlled by OpenWrt (diag module) to indicate bootup.

- Wifi. Controlled by the wifi driver; trivia - the wifi driver can also reset the power led in certain situations.

DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 17:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks man !

Navigation

Jump to: