Problem with static leasing. AC5300 router with latest Kong

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
raulo1985
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 18:46    Post subject: Problem with static leasing. AC5300 router with latest Kong Reply with quote
Hi. This is kind of a noob question, but I can’t seem to figure this out and I’ve read contradicting info on the internet (and, most important, I’m still having this issue).

I own a AC5300 router, flashed with the latest Kong build available. It has been working great for almost a year. I only use the basic stuff: DHCP for all clients, wireless both 2.4 and 5 Ghz bands as AP, and QoS. Rest of the settings are factory default. The router has been working flawlessly for like a year with that kind of use.

I recently bought a security system, with a NVR and four IP cameras, all of them connected directly to the router (well, the IP cameras are connected to a POE+ injector first, and then connected to the router). All is wired, nothing wireless. Cameras are Reolink brand (in my opinion, very good brand and cameras), and I’m using high quality Cat6 cables.

The issue:

I want to be able to have remote access to the cameras through IP (UID sometimes has lag or doesn’t connect. Connecting directly by IP address gives a much better performance and reliability), so I have to do some port forwarding. No problem with that, but that obviously means using static IP for the cameras (and keeping the DHCP server active for other clients, like smartphones or laptops). I set the DHCP server start IP address at 192.168.1.100 and a maximum of DHCP clients at 50, so I could have space for static IP leasing. Then I added the static IPs for the cameras and NVR (usual stuff, and checked that the mac addresses were correct and that no IP address conflicted with another one. All of them were above 192.168.1.200). Client lease expiration was left blank for all clients (and haven’t tried to set a particular time yet, to see if that’s what’s causing the problem).

The issue is that, randomly, the connection between client and router is lost. I can’t look at the cameras when that happens, and when I go to the LAN tab of the status page of ddwrt those devices are not there. Like I said, I’ve yet to try if giving a particular client lease expiration fixes this.

I also tried to do this at a device/client level. I set their connection settings for static IP (and assigned IPs outside of the DHCP range), but the same thing happens.

My questions:

1. I still don’t know if it’s better to set static IP at a device level, on the router, or both. I’ve read contradicting info on this regard. Which is more reliable?

2. Is it ok if I do both things? I mean, setting the connection settings of the device for, lets say, static IP 192.168.1.200, and at the same time configuring ddwrt for a static lease based on the device mac address, for the same IP.

3. If I setup a static lease at the router, which setting should be the one selected at the device? I mean, sometimes you have the option of “none”, besides static IP and DHCP, and I’ve always had the doubt about which one I should select when creating static leases.

Bottom line is that I need both DHCP enabled for regular clients, and static leases for my cameras and NVR, outside of the IP range given to the DHCP server. The issue is that I’m actually achieving that (port forwarding is working as expected, I can watch the live stream of the cameras when all is working as expected), but randomly one or more of the cameras lose their connection and if I reboot the router and cameras they get it back (but for a while). And this is a security system, so stability of the connections is a priority. How can I achieve a rock solid static IP connection between a client and the router? If the static IP leases are outside of the DHCP server range, the DHCP server itself shouldn’t be the problem, right?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsor
dun4cheap
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 0:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have 4 Asus AC5300 routers in the work and home enviroment and for the most part they have worked well but quirky.

On 3 of 4 of these routers I have IP Phones, IP cams, nvr's vaps, eoip, vpn services. I used to also assign static ips with the software, but I started having a problem where the 2.4ghz radio would disappear. I could never get the radio back until I deleted the static IP addresses. In any event is there a particular reason why you need to access the individual cameras separately instead of the NVR?

Also, you may want to consider increasing your max ips so you do not squeeze yourself on IP addresses in the future.

So for instance a subnet mask of 255.255.252.0, router address of 192.168.1.1, start your dhcp server to start at 150 with 50 max dhcp. Then Assign static ips for your cameras say 192.168.0.2, and your nvr at 192.168.0.1

Anyhow 4 cameras turn in to 16, then 32+. BTW the Reolink cameras work well, I have over 36 on one system along with 32 HIK vision cameras and quite a few NVRs. Be sure to install the latest firmware on the reolinks as it fixs some discovery issues and makes them compatable with Alexa Show and Fire. Alexa Show Camera 33.

The port 80 forwarding bug with out reapplying settings appears to have been fixxed.

3 Buffalo WZR-1750DHP - DD-WRT v3.0-r29218 std (03/07/16)

6 Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2
DD-WRT v3.0-r29218 std (03/07/16)

all in eoip configurations, some with vlans running wep and wpa.

Some with proftp enabled and smb enabled. Mixed ISP from Timewarner cable, Cox Cable and AT&T Uverse.
dun4cheap
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 0:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
One other thing, I any time I reboot, I manually go to the nat tab and apply settings. Two of my systems have IP phones, one has 16 lines and the other 5. For some reason the IP phones act funky a do not discover properly unless I do this. The phones cant be set static or they will not function. I had this problem on my buffalo routers as well when using kong and bs firmware. All of my AC5300's are using kong firmware, with the exception of a fifth test unit that I am testing to migrate back to bs's firmware since Kong has left DD-wrt.

The port 80 forwarding bug with out reapplying settings appears to have been fixxed.

3 Buffalo WZR-1750DHP - DD-WRT v3.0-r29218 std (03/07/16)

6 Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2
DD-WRT v3.0-r29218 std (03/07/16)

all in eoip configurations, some with vlans running wep and wpa.

Some with proftp enabled and smb enabled. Mixed ISP from Timewarner cable, Cox Cable and AT&T Uverse.
raulo1985
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 0:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
dun4cheap wrote:
One other thing, I any time I reboot, I manually go to the nat tab and apply settings. Two of my systems have IP phones, one has 16 lines and the other 5. For some reason the IP phones act funky a do not discover properly unless I do this. The phones cant be set static or they will not function. I had this problem on my buffalo routers as well when using kong and bs firmware. All of my AC5300's are using kong firmware, with the exception of a fifth test unit that I am testing to migrate back to bs's firmware since Kong has left DD-wrt.

Thanks for your reply. To answer to your question, it’s because I travel a lot and I need to be able to check the cameras remotely. So, in the event that I couldn’t connect to one of them, I can wake up my pc (wake on lan) and try to enter the camera’s web gui. If it’s behind the nvr, it usually doesn’t work.
One question. Why are you suggesting to create the static leases in a different subnet than the main router (and the subnet of the addresses given by the DHCP server)? I believed that, as long as you place the static lease outside of the range of the DHCP server, it’d be ok. Is there a particular reason for doing what you suggested?
And I’m still a little confused about which is the best way to go for static IPs, if setting them up at device level, at router level as static leases, or both. Do you know which one is best way to go?
Thanks again.

PS: my router’s IP is 192.168.1.1, DHCP server starting on 192.168.1.100, max DHCP clients 50, and the static IPs for my NVR and cameras are from 192.168.1.200 to 192.168.1.204.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: