Repeater Bridge between 2 ddwrt routers = lag spikes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
draken21
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 13:03    Post subject: Repeater Bridge between 2 ddwrt routers = lag spikes Reply with quote
Hi all,

Unfortunately I have gone through pages and pages of forum posts and I have not found a solution yet so your help would be greatly appreciated (and it would save me a few £/€/$, as I would not need a powerline adapter).

Do to the design of the apartment unfortunately an Asus RT-AC68U (running ddwrt revision 26653) is not enough so I have it paired with an old Dlink-DIR615 rev d (running ddwrt revision 26866).

The config is the usual. Asus as the main router and then the DLink is the repeater bridge, same network ssid, same (optimal interference-wise) channel.

The problem that I face is that I get lag spikes every 1-2mins which are even noticeable when browsing. After a second or two the whole network is recovering.

Unfortunately I have no idea what might be causing it so I was wondering if you have any suggestion on where to start and work my way to the prob.

The hardware should be fine as it has been used with a slightly different setup a few months ago with no lag issues.
Sponsor
blaser
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 15:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
Try running the main router by itself, see if you are fine.
If after connecting the Rb router you are facing a problem try changing the DDWRT version and see if it improves

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 17:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yeah connecting to the main router is fine.

I am in the process of upgrading dd-wrt on both routers to see what happens. Will keep you posted.
Fiillu
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 23:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm in the same situation. Did u manage what is wrong ?
waterlover81
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 0:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
I read your post. Still, maybe try different channel? Or look around see if maybe a bluetooth mouse, etc, microwave, is causing interference? We have a bluetooth mouse that walks all over channel 6, but not all the time, only at a certain time interval. Channel 11 is our solution, Not as clean as 6 the rest of the time,,, but that mouse either severely lags the wifi, or pops it altogether.

You may have already covered this, but I figured maybe if not and it helped you, good deal.

Have you tried turning on CTS protection mode?
Fiillu
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 1:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
Turning on ? It is on auto mode and I can only turn it off.
mrjcd
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:48    Post subject: Re: Repeater Bridge between 2 ddwrt routers = lag spikes Reply with quote
draken21 wrote:
Asus as the main router and then the DLink is the repeater bridge, same network ssid...
Do you mean the repeater VAP has same SSID as the main?
If so change it to something else, save, apply settings, & reboot router.
If that is not it then change things around --- Use the broadcom Asus as the repeater bridge.
If that don't do you a good job you might try WDS but I'm not sure that will work between
those routers ... but you never know...

You might also post this question in the broadcom forum --
draken21
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the replies guys.

I upgraded to DD-WRT v3.0-r27600 std (08/11/15), after trying to downgrade and realising it was too much of a fuss, and the issue has improved significantly.

So it is safe to say that it is a ddwrt issue rather than a hardware issue. I use to have an old version of DD-WRT and everything was running without hiccups.

Now to reply to your questions:

@eibgrad: I agree with you, I am a fan of wired as well for many reasons and powerline in Europe is as affordable as in the US. The main issue is that I have too many laptops/mobile devices so powerline won't be of much help. The DIR-615 was not bought, it was a gift from Virgin UK, it is not Asus, for sure, but I have to admit that it is the single most long-lasting device I ever owned.

@mrjcd: Did it, before I upgraded DD-WRT, but nth changed Sad Plus it is very inconvenient walking in the house and changing wifi networks while streaming sth. I would prefer not to have the DLink as the main router as there is a lot of traffic/devices connected to the main one and not too sure that a 10 year old device can handle them.

@waterlover81: Yeap channels was sth I spent 2 hours of my life experimenting on. Surprisingly too much interference for a small place here Sad Ended up with channel 3 as it was the best interference-wise.

@Fiillu: To sum it up. Either downgrade both to the same stable version of ddwrt, or if you cannot be asked like me, upgrade to the same latest beta version and let us know.
Fiillu
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 21:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have lag spikes on all version of ddwrt, and I'm really confused.
xmikex01
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
Fiillu wrote:
I have lag spikes on all version of ddwrt, and I'm really confused.

I myself owned and wasted money and time on the 1043nd v1 for a year only to find it is a p.o.s and in the end went with an archer c7 and now as a test the xiaomi mini router. Do yourself a favor and dump the router and buy one of the 2 I mentioned.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: