[SOLVED] WNDR3400/N600 No Power Light

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
goopy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 23:42    Post subject: [SOLVED] WNDR3400/N600 No Power Light Reply with quote
Hi All,

I installed DD-WRT successfully on my WNDR3400 / N600 straight out of the box and it was working great as a wireless repeater bridge.

At some point after operating for a number of days it died completely. There are no wireless lights, no power light, nothing.

I've tried 30/30/30 and leaving it unplugged for a day, nothing.

Any suggestions ? Is this a dd-wrt problem ? Is it faulty hardware ?

- Chris

Last edited by goopy on Tue Mar 13, 2012 23:08; edited 1 time in total
Sponsor
slobodan
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 23:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
Checked the power supply?

2 times RT-AC56U running DD-WRT 45493 (one as Gateway, the other as AP, both bridged with LAN cable)

3 times Asus RT-N16 shelved

E4200 V1 running freshtomato 2020.8 (bridged with LAN cable)

3 times Linksys WRT610N V2 converted to E3000 and 1 original E3000 running freshtomato 2020.8 (bridged with LAN cable)

goopy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 23:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
It's firmly plugged into the wall and the powerpoint works ... I don't have a multimeter handy. What are the changes of an AC adapter dying Wink
wats6831
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 23:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
The chances of the AC adapter dying are higher than the changes of the firmware somehow causing your router to self destruct. There are plenty of these on ebay with bad power supplies or high pitched whining noises coming from the router (probably a bad power supply). If not an adapter issue likely it's a bad component on the board caused by a power spike or something.
slobodan
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 23:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
Other possibilites: you fried the CPU by overclocking. Or: lightning has struck and erased the flash memory or has burnt some electronics inside the router. Or: maybe you wrote another CFE or erased all flash memory (there are some commands which do exactly that). Or: some cheap condensators are burnt.

2 times RT-AC56U running DD-WRT 45493 (one as Gateway, the other as AP, both bridged with LAN cable)

3 times Asus RT-N16 shelved

E4200 V1 running freshtomato 2020.8 (bridged with LAN cable)

3 times Linksys WRT610N V2 converted to E3000 and 1 original E3000 running freshtomato 2020.8 (bridged with LAN cable)

goopy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 0:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks all, I will test with another power supply.

The power supply is connected to a surge protector power board.

I only flashed the device once, so I don't think it would be corrupted CFE ?

I didn't overclock or modify anything other than what is available on the web interface.

If it is something else, would I be better opening up to see if capacitors are burnt out or just packaging the thing up and sending it back (It's only 2 weeks old).

- Chris
wats6831
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 0:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
goopy wrote:
Thanks all, I will test with another power supply.

The power supply is connected to a surge protector power board.

I only flashed the device once, so I don't think it would be corrupted CFE ?

I didn't overclock or modify anything other than what is available on the web interface.

If it is something else, would I be better opening up to see if capacitors are burnt out or just packaging the thing up and sending it back (It's only 2 weeks old).

- Chris
If it's only 2 weeks old i'd definitely RMA it. I've seen those models die due to component failure.
goopy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 23:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks all, you are awesome Cool

Turns out the AC adapter was faulty. I plugged in a spare 12V one and now I have lights (and a working dd-wrt router)

- Chris
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: