U-Verse + WiFi Bridge = Fail

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
NetworkTamer
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 20:31    Post subject: U-Verse + WiFi Bridge = Fail Reply with quote
First post, and i've got an interesting pickle here.

So, not only can i not get a wire to my STB for u-verse, i also can't get one to my desktop or xbox. Rather than buy a bunch of wireless adapters, i set up a WiFi-Ethernet bridge. I have a Linksys WRT160N on the transmission side, and a Linksys E3200 on the receiving side. I can easily max out our U-Verse link (~1.5MB/s) over the bridge, all day long, no issues. The STB is being problematic though.

Streams from the DVR work fine. OnDemand also works fine. They move about 2.5Mb/s over the bridge, so no issue. When i try to watch live TV, though, things get weird. It'll start out the stream at 2.5Mb/s, perfect video, audio, etc. Works fine. For 20 seconds. Then the transfer rate drops to 900Kb/s, and the video becomes unwatchable. Not only that, but the bridge all but collapses. I can't ping anything on the other side of the bridge. Turning the TV off results in a 800Kb/s stream for about 30-45 seconds more, after which everything works perfectly. This same thing happens if i connect the E3200 directly to the Gateway over WiFi.

I believe the problem is multicast... I don't know how to fix it though. Is there some way that i can force the routers to ONLY send multicast packets to the STB, and not choke under it?
Sponsor
NetworkTamer
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 17:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
So, after some digging, i found that DD-WRT apparently limits multicast to 1Mbps. Is this true? And if so, how can i change this rate? I'm not worried about saturating the WiFi, as it will only be linking the two routers. All other clients will be connecting to the AT&T RG.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: