Cisco/Linksys E3000 CPU Utilisation Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
davetza
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 16:54    Post subject: Cisco/Linksys E3000 CPU Utilisation Question Reply with quote
I'm just started using DD WRT and am finding it a great product. I've got a Cisco/Linksys E3000 running 18024 big. The main reason I set DD WRT up was to use OpenVPN which I have up and running.

However I've noticed the CPU utilisation is always at 95 - 100% is this normal. I'm not running any other services. The firewall is off QOS is off etc. Is there any possibility this might be related the the slowish speeds I might be seeing on the PVN I'm only getting around 1.5 MB/s when I was expecting 3 MB/s
Sponsor
gatorback
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
Maybe an RT-N16 would provide the horsepower you seek.
shani
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 16:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
gatorback wrote:
Maybe an RT-N16 would provide the horsepower you seek.

If these are the answers to questions ... when all issues are solved we will be the lucky owner of at least a thousand routers.. Very Happy
shani
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 17:02    Post subject: Re: Cisco/Linksys E3000 CPU Utilisation Question Reply with quote
davetza wrote:
I'm just started using DD WRT and am finding it a great product. I've got a Cisco/Linksys E3000 running 18024 big. The main reason I set DD WRT up was to use OpenVPN which I have up and running.

However I've noticed the CPU utilisation is always at 95 - 100% is this normal. I'm not running any other services. The firewall is off QOS is off etc. Is there any possibility this might be related the the slowish speeds I might be seeing on the PVN I'm only getting around 1.5 MB/s when I was expecting 3 MB/s

My E3000 with version 18024 big and Openvpn running .... has a utilization of the CPU from 4 to 7%.
gatorback
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 21:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
Although this utilization is abnormal, if the firmware selection, install and basic configuration was performed correctly, then this may be a defective router.

Otherwise drilling down to root cause may be more time consuming than it is really worth and it is very well possible that the root cause may never be found.

Have a plan to limit the time and have a contingency plan to try a different router. I keep several around because for me, this decision is a no brainer. Good backups include the WRT54GL (basic) or a RT-N16 (advanced).

DigitalDeviant
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 14:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've never seen my E3000 hit this kind of CPU load under normal use. I would telnet/ssh in and issue a top command and see if something is hogging the CPU.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: