Can't Reset Linksys WAP54G v3.1

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
donb
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 22:08    Post subject: Can't Reset Linksys WAP54G v3.1 Reply with quote
I just installed dd-wrt onto a Linksys WAP54G v3.1.

When I rebooted the AP, it forces me to change the password, which I do sincerely dispise.

I typed in the new password and username without clearing the field masking dots.

I am now unable to login to the dd-wrt Web Utility.

It keeps saying incorrect username and password, yadda yadda.

I have been here before and in the good ol' days, I used to could just hold the reset button down for awhile and bam reset and all would be well.

I did the 30/30/30 reset about 20 times but to no avail. I can't get in via Telnet. I can't use SSH (I am using WinXP). TFTP gives me a connection timeout.

I really need to reset this dang AP so that I can configure DD-WRT.

Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp!
Sponsor
slobodan
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 22:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
You will be prompted for username and password. (If your router already has a DD-WRT versions starting with 2006-Feb-28, the default username is root. Prior versions have a blank username by default. For Linksys firmware, the default username can be left blank or set to anything. For both DD-WRT and Linksys firmware, the default password is admin. Search online for other defaults on other routers).

So you could try to figure out something like

myusernameroot
mypasswordadmin

or such combinations and see if it works.

If your browser saved the password, use NirSoft freeware to recover it.

2 times RT-AC56U running DD-WRT 45493 (one as Gateway, the other as AP, both bridged with LAN cable)

3 times Asus RT-N16 shelved

E4200 V1 running freshtomato 2020.8 (bridged with LAN cable)

3 times Linksys WRT610N V2 converted to E3000 and 1 original E3000 running freshtomato 2020.8 (bridged with LAN cable)

donb
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 23:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
i know what the password is supposed to be but it doesn't work.

i need to reset the AP.
donb
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 0:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
ok i just discovered that when i ping the AP using the -t option, looping, and then hold in the reset button, i still keep getting successful pings like the reset button isn't work.

hmmm.
slobodan
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 0:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
donb wrote:
i know what the password is supposed to be but it doesn't work.

i need to reset the AP.

It's actually <thesupposedpassword>+"admin"

so you could try something like

thesupposedpasswordadmin

or

thesupposedpassworddmin

2 times RT-AC56U running DD-WRT 45493 (one as Gateway, the other as AP, both bridged with LAN cable)

3 times Asus RT-N16 shelved

E4200 V1 running freshtomato 2020.8 (bridged with LAN cable)

3 times Linksys WRT610N V2 converted to E3000 and 1 original E3000 running freshtomato 2020.8 (bridged with LAN cable)

PrimPast
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 0:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
Confused

The only reason you could be in the mess you are in, is because you didn't bother to read the wiki for your router. While it probably it too late now, I suggest you pay a visit so at least you will understand how you screwed up.

You won't fix this with a password. You are locked out.
donb
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 23:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
is there some particular reason that when I attempt to flash via tftp or Router Tools that i keep getting "Timeout occurred"?

i can ping the router at 192.168.1.1. shouldn't i be able to flash via tftp with no problem then?
donb
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 0:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
i finally got it working.

i had to keep issuing the tftp command [immediately] upon power-up a bunch of times until it took.
aligon
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 18:33    Post subject: wap54g (almost?) dead Reply with quote
donb wrote:
i finally got it working.

i had to keep issuing the tftp command [immediately] upon power-up a bunch of times until it took.

I'm glad you resolved recovering your AP. I've been trying for weeks to solve the problem with mine using jtag cable or shortcircuiting pins 15-16 of the flash chip, etc. When I do this last, I achieve to load the firmware to the AP, but when I turn it off, goobye and start over. The reset button does nothing. I'll try what you did as a last resource in order to wake my AP up. I mean to keep issuing the tftp command while powering it up as many times as necessary. Let's see.
donb
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 21:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
good luck!
DigitalDeviant
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 22:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
Please read the wiki article. It very clearly tells you why the reset button is not working and how to make it work after you properly recover your AP, which it also tells you how.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linksys_WAP54G
Napalmd
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 16:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi I have this problem also. but after sending a new firmware successfully it did not reset the settings. I still can't login to it.
Tried two times and still didn't loose it's settings...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: