VPN: connected but wireless traffic not going via VPN

exportzhou
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 11:48    Post subject: VPN: connected but wireless traffic not going via VPN Reply with quote
Hi there
I just flashed my ASUS AC87U with DD-WRT v3.0-r28054 std (10/30/15). Wireless etc. confirmed working good.

My network topology is:
I have a primary router connected with ISP's modem, and dd-wrt router connects to the primary router. dd-wrt's LAN port to one of primary router's LAN ports.

I installed Astrill VPN on dd-wrt and it can connect with Astrill VPN server smoothly. I ssh-ed to router and used 'wget google.com' to test. Google.com isn't accessible without VPN in my country (yeah, guess where I am from...). When Astrill VPN is connected, wget can get google's index.html without problem so I believe this assures VPN connection on dd-wrt is good.

Now my problem is: after dd-wrt Astrill VPN is connected, my cell phone connected to dd-wrt can browser internet but all traffic is NOT go over VPN. It can access non-blocked domains, but google.com etc. still can not be accessed.

I'm not an expert on networking, do I need to configure something else? Thanks in advanced.

The configurations on dd-wrt:
Basic settings:
WAN connections: disabled.
DHCP type: DHCP forwarder, server is primary router
Gateway and local DNS are set to primary router (since cell phone can access internet, I don't think there are problems here)
Advanced Routing, operating mode: router
Wireless:
Wireless Mode: AP

I've messed with wireless mode: AP, client, bridges etc. not working. There must be something I missed I guess.

Again, really appreciate if I can have any hint. Living in a place where you cannot freely access google, twitter -- internet -- is really a PAIN IN THE ASS !!!
Sponsor
exportzhou
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 7:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
eibgrad wrote:
Problem is, your dd-wrt/VPN router is connected LAN to LAN. As currently configured, it’s just another LAN device like your PC, NAS, Macbook, whatever, that happens to have a VPN connection of its own. So what? Why would that in and of itself mean that every other LAN device on that network should somehow know the VPN is there, and secondly, use it?

If, however, that dd-wrt router was connected via its WAN to a LAN port on the primary router, and all those same LAN devices were using the dd-wrt router and NOT the primary router, those LAN devices would now be using the dd-wrt as their default gateway. And once the VPN was connected, it would change the default gateway to the VPN, and voila, everyone is now using the VPN!

Of course, in a WAN to LAN config, both routers must be using different networks. So if the primary router is 192.168.1.x, perhaps make the dd-wrt router 192.168.2.x.

Thanks eibgrad, I tried to set ddwrt IP in another network segment (192.168.3.1) as you suggest, and connect ddwrt WAN to one of primary router's LAN ports. Still no luck, really have no idea why...

PS. My primary router is 192.168.2.1, ISP modem is 192.168.1.1

Anything else I should change? Thanks
mdk888
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi eibgrad,

I was following this thread as I have the same issue, but the thread seems to have dropped off.

-Prime router with fios ip 192.168.1.1
-Second router running dd wrt, wan port connecting to one of the ports on the first router. ip 192.168.2.1
-Router 2 has pptp vpn connection. When my laptop is connected to this router thru a cable, its going thru vpn traffic. I know simply going to yahoo, it will direct me to the country of that non-US server
-I enable 2nd router as wireless AP with diff SSID. disconnect the lan cable of my laptop, and connect to the new ssid , it doesnt go thru the vpn connection

One strange thing i think i notice is that i believe the 2nd router's vpn connection becomes unstable and drops the vpn connection when my laptop is going thru wireless because on the vpn status page i see the 'connect' button being enabled. Any ideas what I'm missing here?
Kristure
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 17:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am currently trying to use an Linksys E1200 router with DD-WRT and OpenVPN to use playstation online within a network that has the appropriate ports closed. Is it somehow possible to do this, even though I do not have access to the original router for the network.

Something like connecting a network cable through my router and then my Playstation to the my router again? I understand that this is hard to do in LAN to LAN, but is it possible to do it WAN to LAN without access to the networks router?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: