dd-wrt, UVerse, and streaming problems.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
crashfly
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
raydicks wrote:
I 'm having a strange issue though. it appears that when I'm using explorer on the net that after a few min it appears to lock up and I have to close it and start over, did I screw something up?

I have seen this situation when the computer is looking for internet access. The browser does not "lock up" per se, it is just waiting for a network response that it may not be getting (hence the 'unresponsiveness'). Check your configuration. Reboot your computer. Reboot your routers. Still not working. Reset and start over (likely with your DD-WRT switch first).
raydicks wrote:

also I read what you said about smart switches, just for my own info when is a smart switch used?

A "smart" (or managed) switch typically is used in what I would call 'complex' networks. Sorting the network by VLANs, specific routing configurations. To be more specific, I copied a bit from the wikipedia page here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_switch
Quote:
  • Unmanaged switches — These switches have no configuration interface or options. They are plug and play. They are typically the least expensive switches, found in home, SOHO, or small businesses. They can be desktop or rack mounted.
  • Managed switches — These switches have one or more methods to modify the operation of the switch. Common management methods include: a command-line interface (CLI) accessed via serial console, telnet or Secure Shell, an embedded Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP) agent allowing management from a remote console or management station, or a web interface for management from a web browser. Examples of configuration changes that one can do from a managed switch include: enable features such as Spanning Tree Protocol, set port bandwidth, create or modify Virtual LANs (VLANs), etc. Two sub-classes of managed switches are marketed today:
  • Smart (or intelligent) switches — These are managed switches with a limited set of management features. Likewise "web-managed" switches are switches which fall in a market niche between unmanaged and managed. For a price much lower than a fully managed switch they provide a web interface (and usually no CLI access) and allow configuration of basic settings, such as VLANs, port-bandwidth and duplex.[14]
  • Enterprise Managed (or fully managed) switches — These have a full set of management features, including CLI, SNMP agent, and web interface. They may have additional features to manipulate configurations, such as the ability to display, modify, backup and restore configurations. Compared with smart switches, enterprise switches have more features that can be customized or optimized, and are generally more expensive than smart switches. Enterprise switches are typically found in networks with larger number of switches and connections, where centralized management is a significant savings in administrative time and effort. A stackable switch is a version of enterprise-managed switch.

Try Dropbox for syncing files - get 2.5gb online for free by signing up.

Read! Peacock thread
*PLEASE* upgrade PAST v24SP1 or no support.
Sponsor
raydicks
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you,

do you think that the DNS I have in my DD-WRT router could be causing this?
Under Setup / Basic Setup / Wan Setup
Auto DHCP
STP Eisable
MTU Auto
Local IP 10.168.1.1
Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
Gateway 0.0.0.0
Local DNS 0.0.0.0
Network address server setttings
DHCP type DHCP Server
DHCP Server Enabled
Start address 10.168.1.100
Maximum users 50
Client lease time 1440 min
Static DNS 1 8.8.4.4
Static DNS 2 10.168.1.1
Static DNS 3 68.94.167.1
WINS 0.0.0.0
USE DNSMasq for DHCP Check
Use DNSMasq for dns check
DHCP Authoriative Check

thanks
crashfly
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
raydicks wrote:
Thank you,

do you think that the DNS I have in my DD-WRT router could be causing this?
Under Setup / Basic Setup / Wan Setup
Auto DHCP
STP Eisable
MTU Auto
Local IP 10.168.1.1
Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
Gateway 0.0.0.0
Local DNS 0.0.0.0
Network address server setttings
DHCP type DHCP Server
DHCP Server Enabled
Start address 10.168.1.100
Maximum users 50
Client lease time 1440 min
Static DNS 1 8.8.4.4
Static DNS 2 10.168.1.1
Static DNS 3 68.94.167.1
WINS 0.0.0.0
USE DNSMasq for DHCP Check
Use DNSMasq for dns check
DHCP Authoriative Check

thanks

Your issue is more your gateway not being set to anything than your DNS. How are your devices supposed to know how to get to the internet if they do not have a gateway to travel through? Set that to the IP address of your DD-WRT router.

Read! Peacock thread
raydicks
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
CrashFly,
So far everything seems to be running great, the speed still isn't where I want it to be with my uverse profile but its lots better than it was!

Thanks,

Any suggestions for anything else I should do.
ndewan
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
How are you measuring your speeds? Check at different times during the day and get a sense of the averages.

Uverse is notorious for slowing down for no good reason.

1 * EA6500 - 29193 Mega (Repeater Bridge)
1 * EA6500v2 - 29193 Mega (Repeater Bridge)
1 * WRT610N - 29193 Mega (Repeater Bridge)
===================================
crashfly
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
ndewan wrote:
How are you measuring your speeds? Check at different times during the day and get a sense of the averages.

Uverse is notorious for slowing down for no good reason.

I somewhat agree with this assessment, although my speeds are generally where they should be. Heavy usage times for the internet will definitely cause your speeds to be lower.

Read! Peacock thread
ndewan
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 16:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
question was more around the best realistic way to measure speeds. Here are some that I use on a regular basis

1. Speedtest.net
2. speakeasy.net
3. Windows Task manager->Networking.

1 and 2 will give you the throughput and speed between the end points, as measured by the site itself.

I am often thrown off by the results in #3. Even with nothing seemingly going on in the environment. I dont see the Network Utilization go above the teens .. even when testing with 1 and 2 above. Leads me to believe that I have headroom/capacity from a device (laptop) perspective, but I am being throttled somewhere else.

I am still trying to figure this one out. If someone has an explanation or a better suggestion to measure speeds, do educate me.

crashfly
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 21:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
ndewan wrote:
I am still trying to figure this one out. If someone has an explanation or a better suggestion to measure speeds, do educate me.

I do not know if you know this, but just so you are understanding the "measurements", the speeds given by ISPs are almost always measured in megabits as compared to kilobytes and megabytes that speed measurement sites use.

Edit: And the task manager measuring "network utilization" is measuring from the maximum speed capacity of your card. Therefore it will very seldom (if ever) maxed out by your internet connection.

Read! Peacock thread

Last edited by crashfly on Mon Oct 01, 2012 21:51; edited 1 time in total
ndewan
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 21:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
yup .. get the mega-bit vs mega-byte bit. Smile
raydicks
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
If I replace my WRT600N with a new Router, I have read and been advised that a E3000 is a excelent choice, before I go there I have one question, is that a better choice or the E4200 that suposedly has some enhancements? there is about a $50. differeence between the two, and the E4200 is a New unit and the E3000 is a refurbished unit. with this being the case what is the better choice?

Thank you
dun4cheap
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
After battling for 3 days with 2 new uverse accounts i was at my witts end as to why my vpn sessions kept disconnecting every 3 to 5 minutes. I had configured my at&t gateways to dmz to my buffalo wzr-hp-g300nh2 routers. This worked fine except for the disconnects. This appears to have solved my problems.

Thanks
raydicks
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
I had the exact same problem.
the fix was to put this command under Administration Then commands enter this

iptables -I INPUT -p udp --sport 67 --dport 68 -j ACCEPT

Then click save firewall.

after you do this you need to reboot, sometimes twice and or reset the gateway too and poof

if you look under the Status Tab then the WAN tab
the remaining lease time should NEVER drop below 5:00

once you properly enter it and reboot this will happen and the problem will go away
Mangix
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
crashfly wrote:
ndewan wrote:

I do not know if you know this, but just so you are understanding the "measurements", the speeds given by ISPs are almost always measured in megabits as compared to kilobytes and megabytes that speed measurement sites use.

for laughs: http://www.att.com/speedtest/

this thing tells me that I'm getting 22mbps on a 12mbps connection. I love it.
dun4cheap
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 14:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
I use this one

http://www.accessline.com/bt

For my one timewarner 30x5 account I have to use timewarners speed test since the accessline does not go that high. The AT&T one does though.

In any event they seem fairly accurate ATM.
germ65
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 20:15    Post subject: Same here...usual fix does not work Reply with quote
I have the same symptoms as the OP, but the usual command fix does not work for me.

Let's back up a bit. I was forced to switch from AT&T Elite DSL service to the new U-verse VDSL about three months ago. The new service is faster, about twice as fast, but I have been having continuous problems from the beginning.

The issue is this: Web surfing is OK, but downloads start, then stall after a few minutes. This happens with large downloads, those that last more than a few minutes. It happens regardless of the site I am downloading from, and regardless of whether I am using a wired or wireless computer.

My configuration: DSL line -- 2Wire 3600HGV in "DMZ Plus" mode -- Linksys wireless router running DD-WRT -- D-link gigabyte switch for the wired connections. I also have another wireless router and an Ooma device. Wireless is disabled on the 2Wire. I am using the Linksys on a separate subnet as the home gateway. With the previous Elite DSL service I had the exact same configuration and never had such problems with downloads.

Please see configuration screenshots here:
http://s982.beta.photobucket.com/user/germ65/library/U-verse

In those screenshots "Unknown...411" device is the Linksys router.

At first, I thought that AT&T is playing some games with traffic shaping etc. But then I tried attaching a computer directly to the 2Wire modem/router via Ethernet, and then I can download perfectly. If I attach the same computer to the Linksys and download the same file, it stops in the middle. 100% reproducible. This would seem to point to the Linksys router as the culprit.

OTOH, I never had such problems with the previous DSL service. So, there seems to be some sort of incompatibility between the 2Wire in DMZ mode and the Linksys router, or the DMZ mode does not work properly. I am starting to think that I need a new router.

I have also tried the "famous" firewall command, to no avail. Notice the the newer 3600 firmware now allows a 24h least interval. So that shouldn't be the problem anyway.

Any suggestion welcome.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 3 of 4
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: