How to setup multiple workgroups

garfnodie
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:44    Post subject: How to setup multiple workgroups Reply with quote
I hope this has not been posted already, I tried searching but couldn't find what I was looking for.

Anyway, here is what I have and what I'm looking to do. There is an older WRT54G with stock firmware, not able to flash DD-WRT cause it's not my router. This router is currently serving the whole house with internet. I have three computers upstairs in my room alone that I would like to put on their own network using a Linksys E2000 with DD-WRT, but that still have access to the internet being served up from the downstairs router. There is really no way to run ethernet from my room downstairs, so I will have to connect wirelessly to the downstairs router with some kind of a bridge (an airport express to be precise). I want to do this so that all traffic between my three computers (laptop, NAS & custom build Boxee) will not have to go through the downstairs router over wifi as this really slows things down. I only need to be able to get internet from the downstairs router.

I've never setup multiple separate, but still connected workgroups before and I'm not really sure how to go about setting this up.

To summarize, router #1 is the current DHCP server/gateway for the whole house, I need to setup a second router with it's own DHCP server but that can still get internet from router #1 via a wireless bridge(airport express). It would be cool if systems connected to router #1 could access shares connected to router #2 and vise verse, but it's not a must, just a nice to have.
Sponsor
Dark_Shadow
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Client_Mode

Testing Multiple Routers -- Bootloader Collection Project -- My Wiki
garfnodie
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
Dark_Shadow wrote:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Client_Mode

Awesome, thanks. I wasn't sure of the terminology to search for to figure this out. So, if I'm understanding this, I won't even need my Airport express for the bridge since the secondary router can do it's own bridge?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: