How to change builds from standard to mini (or micro)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> General Questions
jbartas
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:25    Post subject: How to change builds from standard to mini (or micro) Reply with quote
Hi All - Noob here with a newbie question. I've been able to modify, build, load and run the Manufacturers code for my Netgear wgr614v8, and I've been able to build the "standard" DD-WRT code; however the standard versions resulting ".bin" file is just a bit too big for the Netgear's 4 Megs. In fact I notice the "Standard Generic" build on the database page is also too big for the Netgear (many thanks to the wiki writer who pointed out that many of the database .bin files are too big - I get to postpone learning to de-brick for a while yet). I was able to flash & use both the mini and micro binaries from the database no problem.

I would like to build my own mini version (or something similarly sized) from source, but after looking all weekend I can't figure out how to change my source tree/config/makefiles to do this. Is there a simple build option that I'm missing, or do I need to go through the directories and startup files to remove apps & maybe kernel code for features I want to remove, like VPN?

I know this is probably simple, but I just can't find it; Any help would be appreciated.
Sponsor
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
Edit your config file, it decides what packages should be included in the build.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the pointer. I went into the src/router/config directory and tried to sort out the docs, source, and files. It seems "Config" is input to one of several configuration routines, which output ".config". I tried using "make Menuconfig" from the router directory to omit VLAN and some of the "EZ config" features from the build.

.config was altered as expected, but unfortunatly, the build broke. I can still build the kernel just fine:

cd bcm5354/src/linux/linux
make dep
make

But not the router.

cd ../../router
make clean
make

make dies from the error:

In file included from netconf_linux.c:35:
netconf_linux.h:24:29: libiptc/libiptc.h: No such file or directory
netconf_linux.h:25:22: iptables.h: No such file or directory

I don't think I changed iptables options, so I'm not sure why related dependencies apparently changed.

Maybe this is progress.

I'll untar a new source tree and try again, but meanwhile does anybody see what went wrong?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: