Need recomendation for a new router

digibri
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 22:12    Post subject: Need recomendation for a new router Reply with quote
Hello,

I'm looking to buy a wireless router. I've been using an old PC with Smoothwall 1.0 on it for years, and want to move in to the 21st century.

My needs are:
1) reliable wireless networking
2) separate guest wireless ad-hock network (for friends to get on the net)
3) ssh server + web proxy (so I can tunnel in and use home internet remotely)

I'm comfortable spending $100-$200 or so.

What are really good devices that can handle these requirements?
It seems like the Buffalo WZR-HP-AG300H might be a contender, but I've yet to figure out if it supports item #3.

Thanks, in advance and happy holidays.

P.S. I'm not asking about encryption standards, since it seems most router firmware supports most standards.
Sponsor
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 23:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
There is loads of good relevant info in the "What's the best router" sticky....including why that question can't really be responded to in any meaningful way.
LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
digibri
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 0:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
You're absolutely right, of course. I should have done further searching first. For any annoyance I may have caused, I apologize.

I've got an pending surgery that will lay me up in bed for a few weeks and I'm in a bit of a tizzy trying to prep a lot of things first. Needless to say, my brain isn't super focused at the moment, though that's certainly not anyone else's problem.

Take care.
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
Doubt that anyone is annoyed. I was just pointing out where you can find info on your question. Hope you find it helpful. See the multiple WLANs guide in the wiki for guest network. Tunnels take CPU power but older (often less powerful) routers that run k24 are more stable.
LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: