Non e3200 dd-wrt test build specific(off topic) discussion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
tavmedia
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 0:57    Post subject: Non e3200 dd-wrt test build specific(off topic) discussion Reply with quote
Can anyone help me get a guest wifi network setup with this router? I've installed DD-WRT, and I've assigned the WAN Port to switch, to use it as a wireless access point.

Lets say work LAN is 192.168.1.1, and I want guest wifi to be on 10.0.0.1. I can get it to give out IP addresses sometimes, it just doesn't work when I try to follow the firewall settings to keep guest users off the LAN, router, and also keep them from seeing each other.

I only want them to get the internet.

Thanks!
Sponsor
phuzi0n
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 21:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
tavmedia wrote:
Can anyone help me get a guest wifi network setup with this router? I've installed DD-WRT, and I've assigned the WAN Port to switch, to use it as a wireless access point.

Lets say work LAN is 192.168.1.1, and I want guest wifi to be on 10.0.0.1. I can get it to give out IP addresses sometimes, it just doesn't work when I try to follow the firewall settings to keep guest users off the LAN, router, and also keep them from seeing each other.

I only want them to get the internet.

Thanks!

See the multiple WLAN guide on the wiki.

tavmedia
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 0:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the response phuzi0n.

I've folowed the wiki, as well as several other guides, however, I cannot get this to work. I've followed the directions completely. It just doesn't like it when I add the firewall settings.

I just wondered if anyone had this working successfully and was willing to share some settings that work for this router.
phuzi0n
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
tavmedia wrote:
I've followed the directions completely.

Not really. Make a new thread and provide better details as instructed.

Quote:
If you have any problems with your firewall script, then create a forum thread and be sure to describe in great detail what you're trying to do, what it is actually doing, and post your firewall script.

skibler
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 14:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
I hate to be that guy, but is there any reason to believe the bin posted on page 2 might work on an E2500?
byusinger84
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 23:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
Pharaoh wrote:
Unlikely since linksys not forthcoming with the 5ghz driver.
Development on ddwrt itself is now more concerned with commercial area.
There are major bugs that have remained since development on the v24 started about two years ago.

This shows no signs of changing rather its getting worse by the looks of things.

Serious open source development is only really happening with the tomato firmware now and a couple of others.

The creator of tomato hasn't done anything in some time but others have taken up the firmware and run with it.

So I should probably go for the e4200 then if I haven't purchased yet?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 20:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
lucian.jp wrote:
I was looking for a simultaneous broadcasting on 2.4 & 5ghz router with MLPPP. I guess I'll have to return my brand new e3200 then. Any hint on a replacement. Heard bad things about the e4200.

I just went out and bought the e4200. Works fine for me so far honestly!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
Stick with the stock firmware.

There has been no development on the e3200 and likely wont be due to lack of usb 5ghz driver.

For that matter there hasn't been any ddwrt releases since june.

There is some development from the source code by the guys here in the forum but this doesn't have anything special for the e3200.
MrFidget
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi all,

From what I have heard back from hardware guys in the design and manufacturing game, Broadcom are cagey about their drivers. All of the stuff they provide to companies are kept under NDAs and licence agreements.

One complaint I got was that the linux support for a particular chip was simply supplied a binary BLOB. No room for kernel changes, fixes, etc. Very poor support and buggy too.

Getting support direct from Broadcom is going to be challenging to say the least. While they may provide info and support for developers, it will not be compatable with this projects licensing model Confused

Anyway, I am now at a point where I can no longer source E3000s and have been recommended E3200s. I dont need 5GHz WiFi, in fact I dont "need" any WiFi fpor this project.

The client wants VLANable Gig ports and room for a USB stick. They would like to have Cisco written on the box too, but I am happy to dissapoint them on this point if I can't get the right hardware

Where are we up to with this port other that 5GHz

Thanks
Chris
Pharaoh
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 22:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
No work is being done for the 3200 period.

Work is being done by the likes of fractal and a few others but this isn't directly for the 3200.

Broadcom doesn't release driver for good reason these days.
At one point they were more free with info when third party firmware was more open source free to everyone license.

Sadly there is only a couple still doing open source and the main one is tomato usb.

Ddwrt was never totally open source but recently is basically gone all commercial and is using broad-com driver illegally.
It is also breaking the open source license which is why boardcom has no desire to release anything.

There no money to be made going after ddwrt which is why its still here but expect nothing from boardcom and no support from ddwrt unless there is money to be made.
MrFidget
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 0:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks Smile

OK, so what you are saying is basic 2.4 support, no 5GHz + any development is not specific to the E3200. Just take your chance with whetever nv60 you wish

Fortunately I have found another source of E3Ks for a while. But they'll be out within a month.

Re Tomato, thanks for the heads up. I'll need to look at the feature set. How do you find it ? Comments ?

I must admit, I do like DD for its commercial look and feel, yet they do give you access to all their source code. Its their binaries that are locked up somewhat, but that is to prevent someone else comming in, rebranding and taking all the glory Surprised

From what I understand, the commercial releases are not for K26 broadcom systems, but for x86 and older open source Broadcom.

At least with access to source, at least you can jump in and contribute. The worst the project can do is tell you to go and fork yourself Twisted Evil

Cheers again for the heads up. Please let me know if you come across anything else E3200 related

/C
Pharaoh
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
Tomato usb is developing rapidly with lots of feed back from the large group involed.
I use it on my wrt400n and its rock stable.
There is no 3200 support by tomato due to the 5ghz being a usb based wireless but its got 3000 and 4200 support.

Ddwrt has gotten itself in trouble with the general users simply due to a total lack of feedback.

The only reason it could go commercial was because the users made it popular.

Add to that mass bug post deletion/long term bugs and no firmware since June and it gotten a bad reputation these days.

There a large lack of respect for the users and they feel it.
Hopefully the people behind it and recapture the feel it once had and make people passionate about it again.
Fractal
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
Pharaoh wrote:
Tomato usb is developing rapidly with lots of feed back from the large group involed.
I use it on my wrt400n and its rock stable.
There is no 3200 support by tomato due to the 5ghz being a usb based wireless but its got 3000 and 4200 support.

Ddwrt has gotten itself in trouble with the general users simply due to a total lack of feedback.

The only reason it could go commercial was because the users made it popular.

Add to that mass bug post deletion/long term bugs and no firmware since June and it gotten a bad reputation these days.

There a large lack of respect for the users and they feel it.

I think they are working hard on getting things implimented for the newer routers and alot of effort has been going on for ath9k and new kernel for that. I have been working on fixing the bugs with the broadcom builds 1 build at a time.. I can build all broadcom builds from v24 - nv60k and nv64k

As far as 5ghz go, what is taking so long is that broadcom had driver support for the radio in its firmware which is running 2.4kernel all the new progress broadcom is doing is SDK, I have requested drivers from them, they push most of their drivers upstream in the kernel but dd-wrt needs to update broadcoms kernel from 2.6 to 3.1x and we will see major improvements in interoperability of the router.. I can assure you as soon as I get it working I will post the build up so everyone can download it.

-Fractal
MrFidget
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you both for the feedback. Glad to see E3200 is not toally dead, its just resting a while.

I guess that there is always a swing between altruism and commercial reality. Things that are free always, always cost something.

Anyway Fractal, I eagerly await your broadcom updates.

One last thing:

So I could use a 3K2 if I wanted to with most K26 nv60 builds, I just wouldn't have 5.0GHz ? is that correct in my assumption ?

ps.
Quote:
I can build all broadcom builds from v24 - nv60k and nv64k

Cool, So you can help me if I have X-compile issues Wink

/C
Pharaoh
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have noticed some things changing so hopefully its a sign of better things too come.

Long term bugs seem to be getting addressed (seriously long term like Qos).
Bug reports aren't getting deleted left right and center like they were without getting resolved (think sash got shit for that).

Still a lot of confusion about bugs in the firmware with people working on it unaware of bugs that have been around for ages.

Read in the bug section that sash though 5ghz site survey was only a issue on broad-com but its never worked period on any router.

One contributors wasn't aware qos didn't work so a lot of confusion was going on.

They need to clean up the mess and actually give the users feedback ever now and then.

It use to be like that but somewhere it got lost.

Major props to you fractal you stepped in and given the guys updated firmware.

If they were smart they have you as spokesmen for what going on every few months or so to keep people informed and feeling appreciated .

Maybe too many egos or it got to convoluted and lost its way.

Thanks for the update fractal and look forward to the good work
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: