enabling openvpn and dd-wrt stops responding

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
kvi
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 15:39    Post subject: enabling openvpn and dd-wrt stops responding Reply with quote
Hi,

I have Netgear WNR3500L router and Im running DD-WRT v24-sp2 (08/12/10) mega (SVN revision 14929)

I have a problem with OpenVPN. Router works perfectly as a firewall & access point. Problems occurred after enabling OpenVPN as a client.

If I enable OpenVPN, router stops responding: no ping, telnet, HTTP, nothing.

If I unplug the WAN-port, I can connect again after reboot. Once I disable OpenVPN, it works like a charm as a firewall. However, I need the VPN. What might be the issue here?

Im looking at the OpenVPN server logs at the server-side (not DD-WRT) and it seems to be connecting just fine. However, after connection is open, the DD-WRT router stops responding.

I can't get it. I've set up working VPN-clients with DD-wrt, but now Im all lost...

Edit:

actually I might add that if I enable OpenVPN but manage to avoid it from connecting during boot, I can start it manually from the commandline:

openvpn --config /tmp/openvpncl/openvpn.conf

Everything seems to be going well, I get several lines telling how the connection is opening:

Code:
Sun Oct 23 18:52:36 2011 WARNING: file '/tmp/openvpncl/client.key' is group or others accessible
Sun Oct 23 18:52:36 2011 LZO compression initialized
Sun Oct 23 18:52:36 2011 UDPv4 link local: [undef]
Sun Oct 23 18:52:36 2011 UPDv4 link remote: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:1194
Sun Oct 23 18:52:38 2011 [remote_hostname] Peer Connection Initiated with xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:1194
Sun Oct 23 18:52:41 2011 TUN/TAP device tun0 opened

I did cut couple of lines away on the beginning, but that tun0 opened is the final line and after that the router stops responding until I unplug and replug the power.
Sponsor
kvi
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 20:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
Okay, I finally switched to TomatoUSB firmware and got the exactly the same thing: once the vpn-tunnel opened, router stopped responding.

Solution: I had f***ed up the certificates, they seemed to work, but didn't and somehow got things locked up.

Anyways, I got the VPN-tunnel working with new keys using Tomato firmware. However, I wasn't 100% pleased with Tomato, so I switched back to dd-wrt.

Now I have another issue: while VPN-tunnel worked perfectly with Tomato, DD-wrt opens the tunnel but allos ping/telnet/any other type of connection only from client to server. However, I cannot ping/telnet/or anything else from server-side to client-side.

So behind the dd-wrt router I can manage the server and other things that are in the same network with the VPN-server. But when Im at the network where the server is, I cannot connect with anything that is in the DD-wrt router (vpn-clients) network. All this worked fine with Tomato, so it cannot be a server-side issue, but I cannot get what might be the problem with DD-wrt.

Does anyone have any idea where to look next?

Edit: okay, switched back to TomatoUSB and OpenVPN works like a charm. Dunno what was wrong, but Im sticking with thisone now. Managed to overcome the problems I had with Tomato when first tried it Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: