740 N 4.23 Bandwidth Control

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
henser
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 23:21    Post subject: 740 N 4.23 Bandwidth Control Reply with quote
Dear people of dd wrt forums, i recently changed from stock firmware to latest build compatible with my device.

DD-WRT v24-sp2 (03/25/13) std
(SVN revision 21061)

I used this for a while at stock firmware, i was able to do only things that i needed

1) Bind ip addresses to mac addresses = OK

2) set a range from 192.168.1.110 to 192.168.1.130 with a bandwidth limit of 512 kbps Download and 128 kbps upload. i had successfully have this working with no issues.

so i wanted to upgrade to a more customizable firmware like the dd wrt, years ago i saw people in other forums saying that they were using it, it took my attention and i saw two things that can be done with dd wrt that my stock firmware can not do

1) use VPN ( i live in latin america ) and i need to set a vpn for an ip address (My xbox 360) to download region locked games, also maybe for netflix and other needs.

2) monitor with Gui interface.

So after this the first thing i tried to do is

1) Reserve ip addresses to desired mac address (OK)
2) Set a bandwidth control like stock firmware (Fail) Because this DD WRT only have option for QOS and some levels from Bulk to Exempt which is not what i am looking for, then searching i found that the only paid version of DD Wrt allows to limit bandwidth with values. I tried to use a WRT script Generator pasting on the command box with no success, only when i enabled qos settings and put uplink and downlink values, i got limited for all users on the network, but unfortunately i did not managed to make it work like on stock firmware, i tried mac priority but it seem to be not useful for me .
3) VPN (not tried yet) but it seems that my device can not handle open vpn just PPTP Server and Client, which i would like to learn once i try to get success with B/C

So my question is, is there any other way to try to do bandwidth control or throttling?

Do you recommend to use DD WRT or stick with Stock Firmware ?

Any other ideas will be welcomed

Thanks in advance

Henser
Sponsor
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
well this router is very basic and its not designed for
VPN at all...The reason is, it has very slow CPU and very low amount of flash size ram to handle all DD-WRT features.
Also this build you are running is very old and might not be
that good...so do not expect miracles for accurate QoS or
any CPU intensive features...
you can find last builds here... ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
henser
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
thanks fo your reply after posting this i read more and saw other people with newest firmware than the one that is included on the main page i updated recently to the latest beta i think DD-WRT v3.0-r32597 std (07/08/17) and i managed to enable QoS and also set by mac address each limit, even alowing me to limit lan bandwidth and the desired wan uplink and downlink bandwidth so it is solved for me. i tried and managed to test with my phone to limit 1 mbps and it was a complete success
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: