Please help with WRT54g Repeater

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
greenlight
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 14:31    Post subject: Please help with WRT54g Repeater Reply with quote
Good Morning,

I would like to get some assistance in getting my WRT54G v1.1 working successfully as a repeater. I currently have installed dd-wrt.v24-13491_VINT_std on my router.

I have set up the repeater many times following the directions step-by-step. The repeater part will not work. The box will work fine on LAN if I do not create a virtual interface. When I activate the virtual interface the connection drops from the internet router and shows a limited connection. After I disable the virtual interface the connection has full internet privileges via LAN.

What can I do to correct my settings so I can extend my network? The only other thing I know to do is purchase another router and connect via LAN and broadcast the signal that way. I do not wish to spend more.

Is my router to old or am I not setting something correctly.

What other information do I need to supply for better assistance.

Thanks for your time and response.

GL
Sponsor
Pied Piper
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 16:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
What are you using as wireless security. REMOVE ALL WIRELESS SECURITY from both the primary router and the repeater until you have it working. What is the SSID you are using. Is the secondary router using a different one for the repeater connection than for the connection to the primary? What is the primary router and how are you connecting to it to get it to work for LAN connections? What is between the primary and the repeater?

If neither of those solve your problem, post screenshots of the basic settings page, the wireless settings page, the wireless encryption page and the router status page. Note the forum rules on picture sizes.
greenlight
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 16:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
UPDATE:

As of now I am on the LAN side of my repeater. Internet works great without virtual interface.
Settings:
SETUP
Wan conn type: Auto
STP: diabled

ROUTER IP

Local IP: same.same.diff.diff
Sub Mask: same.same.diff.0
Gateway: set to gateway when connected wireless to
main router.
Local DNS: 0.0.0.0

WIRELESS
Basic
Mode: Repeater
WMode: G-only
SSID: same as primary router
Net Config: Bridged

WIRELESS SECURITY
None----for testing

Like I said I am on the LAN side without a Virtual Interface. As soon as I activate the virtual Interface my access to the internet is no longer. The connection stays but is limited. The wireless side does the same way. I can connect to the repeater but it is a limited connection.

Thanks for the help and responses.

GL
Pied Piper
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 16:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
Perhaps you don't have your computer set to automatically connect to the wireless interface? Are you saying that you lose LAN connection when you set the virtual ssid up?? Are you sure you are using a VINT firmware?

What ssid are you using for the repeater? Does repeater bridge mode work?

Why are you not using a standard 255.255.255.0 subnet mask?

Also provide details of your primary router. Are the settings the SAME? G only, for example.

Post the screenshots requested previously, and a screenshot of the wireless settings of your primary router. You can block the WAN IP of the primary router if you wish, but leave the rest.
greenlight
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 17:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
Repeater Bridge does not work on lan.
Subnet mask.. its a friends and that what he wanted.

this is the best i can do for screen shot.

SETUP
Wireless Setup
WAN Connection type
Connection Type: Auto config- DHCP
STP: Diable

Optional Settings
Router Name: Repeater
Host Name:
Domain Name:
MTU: Auto

Network Setup
Router IP
Local IP Address: same.same.diff.diff
Subnet Mask: same.same.diff. same
Gateway: same as primary
Local DNS 0.0.0.0

WAN PORT
Assign WAN Port to Switch: Checked

Network Address Server Settings (DHCP)
DHCP Type: DHCP Sever
DHCP Server: Disable
Start IP: same.same.same. grayed out
Rest grayed out

Time Settings
NTP Client: Enable
Timezone: UTC

WIRELESS TAB
Basic Settings

Physical Interface wl0 [MY-SSID] HWAddr [xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx]
Wireless Mode: Repeater
Wireless Net Mode: G-Only
Wireless Net Name MY-SSID
Network Configuration Bridged

Main Router is an AP with the ssid different from the repeater. I cannot change the mask, because its a neighbors. no key, all in the clear.

It is all setup to the settings in ipconfig in command prompt.
The gateway matches. So I do not understand why it works wired but not wireless.

Thanks
GL
greenlight
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 17:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
Firmware: DD-WRT v24-sp2 (07/22/09) std - build 12548M VINT Eko

I think I give up. I don't think it will work with this unit. Thanks for the help anyway.

I will be going to the store to get another router.

Thanks again,

GL
greenlight
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 23:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
One last chance at this please.

Got to looking around and I saw the advanced routing tab, clicked it and then clicked the routing table.

In the routing table i see Destination LAN NET, sub mask, gateway and interface.

They read as follows:
Dest LAN NET sub mask gateway interface
192.168.5.O 255.255.255.0 0.0.0.0 LAN & WLAN
XXX.XX.0.0 255.255.255.0 0.0.0.0 eth1
169.254.0.0 255.255.255.0 0.0.0.0 LAN & WLAN
0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 XXX.XX.X.X eth1

how do I port forward these to connect to each other.
Again I am on the LAN cord on the internet just fine. When I activate the virtual interface they all turn 0.0.0.0 even the WAN IP in the upper right hand corner.

Could this be an issue?

Thanks,
GL

PS: the operating mode under the advanced tab is: GATEWAY. Does that need to be changed?
Pied Piper
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 23:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
greenlight wrote:
I cannot change the mask, because its a neighbors. no key, all in the clear.

Is the reason you would not post screenshots because you are stealing your neighbours internet?
greenlight
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 23:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
no,
1 I do not know how.
2.It is a guest internet for the visitors.
3. the system is set that way so you have internet on the property. just cannot get it indoor at our location.
4. I want to extend the range so I do not have to be outside to use it, when we are here. it just a very very low signal to where we are. We are on the edge of the property.

I am doing the best I can. I am not a computer nerd.

Thanks,
GL
greenlight
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have been at it again. we came back to the property and attempted to setup up the repeater again on the free guest internet for us guests on the property. We have not had any success. Several people have helped with this project so they can get internet on the other side of the building as well. The guest internet works on one side, so those people have access and we on the other do not.

I have been working on this about 8 hours every other day when we are out at our place. I have not been able to get the repeater function to work or any other function. The only setting that works on LAN is the repeater function. I do not understand why it works. As soon as I assign the virtual interface it goes to a limited connection on both the LAN and wireless. I do get assigned a WAN IP and all looks good in the system info. status/wan, status/lan, and status/wireless.

I am thinking that it is a faulty router or bad firmware. I have tried many different version of firmware and have not been successful in achieving the repeater working.

The repeater work on LAN without a virtual interface and the settings are:
LOCAL IP: XXX.XX.XX.XX----works no matter what ip I put in.
SUBNET: same subnet as connected at club house or anywhere else.
GATEWAY: same as connected at club house or anywhere else.
LOCAL DNS: same as connected as club house or anywhere else.

Followed all instructions for the rest of the settings.

I cannot get access to the main router, it is managed by property management.
I do not understand if all settings are the same as if connected by my wifi card why the repeater function does not work. I did join all the wireless access point with the same SSID.

Could multiple AP with the same SSID be the issue. They have many AP's with the same SSID so we guests can connect anywhere on the property.(except my side of the building we are in)

Anymore suggestions would be great.

Thanks so much for reading.

GL
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: