D-Link DIR-615 Wifi Signal Stops Broadcasting-BUG in DD-WRT?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
brand404
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 14:31    Post subject: D-Link DIR-615 Wifi Signal Stops Broadcasting-BUG in DD-WRT? Reply with quote
I notice there are other people, beside myself, here on this board that are having issues with DD-WRT firmware change for their D-Link DIR 615.

It seems the wireless signal drops at random times which then will require a reboot of the router before the signal ever returns.

I at first thought it was a malfunctioning router but i reverted it back to its original factory firmware and i notice i never have this no-wifi problem at all.

So i have to conclude that the current DD-WRT firmwares have a bug that drops wifi at random moments.

Hardware: D-Link DIR615
Revision: E3
Sponsor
Sash
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 18:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
upgrade 1st
&
RTFM/STFW
&
Throw some buzzwords into the WIKI search Exclamation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have:

Router Model
D-Link DIR-615-C1
Firmware Version
DD-WRT v24-sp2 (08/07/10) std - build 14896

Every few hours, my wireless radio stops broadcasting and cannot be seen by wireless clients. I must unplug then plug in power. Please help me!
jmfolcik
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 15:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
This is a well known bug in this forum and is in the bugtracker but has always been ignored for fixes. Appears to be going away soon when they release the ath9k driver

Workaround is don't use 802.11n by turning off AES. Setup your wireless security for tkip only (you can setup for g/n speed but it wont operate at n speeds. the AES enabling is what causes it to stop broadcasting.
brand404
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 15:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
jmfolcik wrote:
This is a well known bug in this forum and is in the bugtracker but has always been ignored for fixes. Appears to be going away soon when they release the ath9k driver

Workaround is don't use 802.11n by turning off AES. Setup your wireless security for tkip only (you can setup for g/n speed but it wont operate at n speeds. the AES enabling is what causes it to stop broadcasting.

Thank you jmolcik! Glad to know i wasnt going insane or my router was damaged.
Sash
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 19:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
again: upgrade 1st!
&
RTFM/STFW
&
Throw some buzzwords into the WIKI search Exclamation

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 18:53    Post subject: DIR-615C1 dropping on N band Reply with quote
Hi,

I own 2 DIR-615's. One is version E1 (build 15778) and the other is C1 (build 16214). The E1 unit works fine on NG-mixed, but the C1 only works consistently on G band. When I set to NG-mixed, it drops the connection quite often. When I set the C1 unit to G-band only, it seems to work fine. Does anyone know if there is a firmware for the C1 revision that has fixed this problem? Please advise.

John
emedlin
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sash wrote:
again: upgrade 1st!

Upgrade to what version? I am running 17201 which I believe is the newest. Please point me to something newer. I get a very unstable client bridge connection with my TEW-652BRP. It connects for a few hours then drops. A reboot of the router will bring it back.
JMMazza53
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 19:01    Post subject: DIR-615C1 dropping on N band Reply with quote
Hi again,

Still having problems with N band slowing to 1 Mbps on N band. I can get it back up and running normally if I log into the DD-WRT web GUI page, select the "Wireless" tab, and press "Apply Settings" at the bottom of the page. I press "Save" again after it accepts the settings without changing anything. It runs fine for about 12-15 hours and then goes back to a 1 Mbps setting. I have tried every version of DD-WRT up to and including v17201. Right now using v16785 with slightly better results, but it still shuts down to 1 Mbps every day. Anyone have a work around for this? Please advise in detail......

Thanks!

John
Pineapple
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 21:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
I had problem with my DIR615 dropping wireless connection from time to time due to overheating on stock FW. I put heatsink on all the chips that's are hot to touch. Haven't got any problem afterward.

I'm running DD-WRT now and do notice chips are not running as hot as before.
kflack
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 19:08    Post subject: But or No Bug Reply with quote
Pineapple wrote:
I had problem with my DIR615 dropping wireless connection from time to time due to overheating on stock FW. I put heatsink on all the chips that's are hot to touch. Haven't got any problem afterward.

I'm running DD-WRT now and do notice chips are not running as hot as before.

Interesting you should have identified this issue.
In the BUG page http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/bugtracker/view.php?id=4010 everyone seems to think this is a bug with DD-WRT.....

I believe I can confirm your theory as I just purchased 2 new units, and within less than 20 hours of operation the wfif went off line. (AES Enabled)

I am disabling the AES to see if stability improves.

So possibly we have an overheating condition of a chip performing AES that can be rectified with a heatsink ?[/url]
Pineapple
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 18:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm using AES now, no problem with heatsinks.
It got 2 hours of continuous Skype last night and the night before.
I don't have WiFi client 24/7. So maybe I missed the bug.
I just cut up some old cpu heatsink to put in. Doesn't really cost anything so its worth a try.

My router is on for a few days already with AP running. DD-WRT v 14896.
brand404
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 16:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
Pineapple wrote:
I'm using AES now, no problem with heatsinks.
It got 2 hours of continuous Skype last night and the night before.
I don't have WiFi client 24/7. So maybe I missed the bug.
I just cut up some old cpu heatsink to put in. Doesn't really cost anything so its worth a try.

My router is on for a few days already with AP running. DD-WRT v 14896.

Actually you will need to have some consistent wifi client returning or something after 20 hours or even over a few days. Any hard-wired client will still work fine...For example in my case i have another friend here conenected with a ethernet cable to my router and he also communicates with his laptop wirelessly to it. But after 20 hours (or even after up to 7 days) the wifi will just stop working but he is still able to get access using the ethernet connection.

I have confirmed that it seems to be a AES bug within DD-WRT. I have tested AES with the factory firmware of D-Link and it works flawlessly .. i had it up for 4 months straight with no outage. So overheating is NOT an issue.

My bet is that if you have yours on straight for several days and checking wifi it will eventually go down.

Interestingly, when i switch from AES to TKIP in DD-WRT it stays up flawlessly. But of course TKIP sucks and doesnt support wireless N.

Another person says that it is actually a bug in the ath9k driver and must be updated to the latest which will fix the bug. He fixed his but i hope he will share the latest driver.
Pineapple
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 17:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
I do have a computer on wireless and my cellphone. So far no problem yet. Its been up for a few days.

Wireless will drop after a few hours on stock firmware.
JMMazza53
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 14:36    Post subject: DIR-615C1 dropping WiFi Reply with quote
I am using my DIR-615C1 at my office, where there are 3 WiFi users on all day long (2 of us are using N, the other using G). I ran with v14896 for months as that was the newest recommended version in the Wiki. I now run v16214 and after doing extensive testing have found it to be the most stable when using AES and N and G band both. The Wifi still drops every few days, but all I have to do to get it to "re-start" is go to the "Wireless -- Basic Settings" tab and reselect "Apply Settings" without changing anything, and it starts working again. It seems to me that something is going into a sleep mode and pressing the "Apply Settings" tab is waking the unit back up. Can anyone duplicate this?
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: