have WRT54G v5, doing flash, need help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
photoz
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 14:55    Post subject: have WRT54G v5, doing flash, need help Reply with quote
I've read the procedure on how to do the flash and have done all the instructions to the T from this site:

http://www.bitsum.com/openwiking/owbase/ow.asp?WRT54G5%5FCFE

I'm at the point where I TFTPed the micro-generic image and am waiting for the flash to take and the unit reboot... this never happened and my router is sitting there with the flashing power LED. YES, I did wait for several minutes, I left it this way overnight in fact, but in the morning, the power LED was still flashing.
My unit isn't bricked, cause all the lights are not on, so I guess its still waiting for an image to be present to get flashed.

Any ideas? I need custom firmware for WDS, or else I would just exchange this unit for a clean router.

Thanks in advance (I did search before posting this!)
Sponsor
Eko
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 15:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
Did you try to unplug it for 1 min and then plug it back?
photoz
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 15:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
I did unplug at 1 point, but not for 1 minute...more like 10-15 sec. after I did this, I resent the image over again via TFTP and it wrote successfully again... waited... nothing but blinky power led.

If I do unplug for a minute... should I wait to see if the image is flashed? or should I re-attempt to tftp the image over again?

thanks for the help
Eko
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 15:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
DO you tftp right image?
photoz
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 15:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
yes... I'm not that much of a dolt... micro-generic, just like the instructionds said to.

but I'm wondering if my image maybe corrupt or something? Once I get home, I will compare file sizes to check on that...
photoz
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
well, I am partially a dolt... guess I should proclaim my discovery for others to share in.

not sure if this is the case for every version of tftp, but I'm on a Mac and the default xfer mode is ascii... this don't work so well when transferring a binary file... switched mode to binary, sent the image over again and voila... a rebooted router, with brand new firmware cranking along.

learn from my mistake, don't send image over in ascii mode...

go ahead, laugh it up, I deserve it.

kudos to this crew for some nice work.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: