Can't seem to get VLAN working

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
RemainNameless
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 14:55    Post subject: Can't seem to get VLAN working Reply with quote
Hello everyone.

I'm a first-time DD-WRT user as of yesterday, and I must say that you guys have done an EXCELLENT job with the firmware. I am very pleased to be able to have a lot more administrative control over my router. Thanks!

I have a Linksys E1000 v2.1 router that I just flashed with the v24-SP2 mini firmware. Everything seems to work great, except for VLANs. I will explain my network setup.

I own a computer repair shop. I have a Dell Poweredge T100 server that hosts files, as well as Quickbooks. My employees and I use RDP to connect to the server to access Quickbooks.

I have a public network (unsecured) that I would like to keep for my customers. The public network will also allow my employees to connect to a shared folder on a Windows XP machine with all of our tools/CD Images. I have the shares already set up for that. I don't need access to the server for shares.

I want a private network for myself, a couple of workstations, and the server. The private network needs internet access because I process credit cards through those machines. The private network also needs to RDP to the server.

My main goal is to separate the Public network (including wifi) COMPLETELY from my private network, which will house a few workstations and my server. I want NO access to the server for the public network, for obvious reasons. I need internet access for both networks. For the Private wifi, I will be MAC-Filtering and disabling the broadcast.

Ok. So that's my basic setup. I also attached a small .jpg that will show you the basic network idea.

I have figured out how to set up seperate WLANs. DHCP is working correctly for both of the WLANs, which are now separated.

I have tried a few tutorials here on the forums and wiki, but for some reason, I cannot get VLANs to work. My private network never pulls a separate from my public network. It still pulls a 192.168.1.X address. I have tried the following tutorial to no avail:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/VLAN_Detached_Networks_(Separate_Networks_With_Internet)#GUI_Tutorial

If anyone has any ideas, please let me know. I have a feeling it has something to do with the way I'm setting up the bridge for the VLAN, or something to do with IPtables, but I'm not sure what I should be doing.

Thank you in advance. I sincerely appreciate it.

Network.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  20.08 KB
 Viewed:  4921 Time(s)

Network.JPG

Sponsor
the_bhagwan
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 18:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
The GUI Tutorial you referenced worked for me. Seemed a little buggy while setting up. Had to refresh pages and start from main menu a few times.
jblack
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 20:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
So why do you have 192.168.1.X written above the e1000? If I'm following your graph correctly this router would have the 10.1.X subnet as well.

The link above opened to a blank page. It looks like you assigned port 4 to a different vlan. Did you create a bridge and assign the different bridge to that Vlan?
the_bhagwan
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 20:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
Did you check all your ports? port 1 may actualy be port 4 on your router. Also might be the build you are using. I'm using DD-WRT v24-sp2 (12/24/10) std-special(SVN revision 15962) and this is on a Buffalo WHR-HP-G54.
And this link might work better than the one that got half of it cut off.
http://tinyurl.com/cw8c82
RemainNameless
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 21:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sorry for not replying faster guys. I've re-cabled and rebuilt the network in this building for 30 hours this weekend. I needed a nap Wink

@the_bhagwan:
The tutorial seems like it works, it just never seems to create the VLAN. When it does something, it just seems to kick me out of the net.

@jblack:
I had the 192.168.1.X on the E1000 because I was thinking the router would have an address of 192.168.1.X. The VLAN was going to have a 10.X address. I'm not used to DD-WRT yet. I have a good amount of experience with Cisco managed routers and switches, but it's been a little while though.

As far as the bridge, I believe I had it set up correctly. I'll post a picture of the settings I had here in a few.

At any rate, because I need to be up and running tomorrow, I just set dual WLANs. One for public access on the 192.168.50.X network. One for private on the 172.16.x network. They both can access the net, but the public cannot access the Server, which is great.

I bought myself a little time doing it this way, but I would REALLY like to VLAN out the hard-lined connections also.

I will post a pic of my settings as soon as I remote into the router.

Thanks for all your help guys.
phuzi0n
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 14:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
All you should need to do in addition to the Multiple WLAN guide is move some LAN ports from VLAN 1 into a new VLAN (not VLAN 0 though!), then add the new VLAN interface to br1.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: