Client Mode Wireless Vs. WDS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
wass
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 14:28    Post subject: Client Mode Wireless Vs. WDS Reply with quote
OK guys.. maybe I shouldnt be posting this.. I am really new and am just trying to understand the basics here. But since I already started typing.. here is my question...haha

I guess I kind of just want to bridge two wireless routers together.. so a cat 5 run from one is wirelessly transmittted and then recieved to the next router and the same data is sent back out the receiveing router. I've experiemented a little with WDS and client mode. If i understand correctly... WDS results in a loss of half amount of throughput as you pass the signal on through sattelites. How does client mode work? Does the same loss of throughput occur? Also is there is a limitation to the amount of client routers?

I know that probably sounds confusing and i might be a little off so if someone can help point me in the right direction i wouldd greatly appreciate it.

wass Arrow
Sponsor
dicksons
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 17:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
It sounds like what you want is your main router in normal AP mode and the second router in client bridge mode (make sure to turn off dhcp server on the bridge).

there's no speed reduction and you can have as many client bridges/ routers as you want.

Just remember -- in either client mode, the router is NOT also a wireless AP -- anything behind the client bridge/router needs to be on a wired port.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 17:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
So the client-bridge in DD-WRT is basically what Cisco calls "workgroup bridge", because of the wired clients only nature. I get around this by hanging an Apple AirPort base station off my client-bridge, so I can attach wireless clients.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 18:43    Post subject: Re: Client Mode Wireless Vs. WDS Reply with quote
wass wrote:
WDS results in a loss of half amount of throughput as you pass the signal on through sattelites.

If I have two wireless routers using WDS, will I get half the throughput of an AP to client connection? Or does the reduction only come into play with more than 2 wireless routers?

Also, in WDS mode can the throughput enhancements provided by Broadcom hardware be used (like Belkin's 125 HSM)?

Thanks,
MF
jdogzilla
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 22:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi all, great questions ... and I would like to ask some more.

(1) In general, when should one use WDS and when should one use Client Bridged mode? How do I decide which setup will be better for what setup?

(2) What are ALL the pros & cons between the two wrt performance?

Thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: