Netgear WNDR3700, not possible to install DD-WRT on it :)

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
travanx
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 0:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
Of course when you say that the wireless was giving me more issues than before. I guess it's back to r16785 and see what happens. The random wireless dropping issue is really annoying. It doesn't do it for weeks, and then all of a sudden does it every 10 minutes for hours and then stops for 6 hours.

Has anyone else not been able to get to r17201?

kuya1284 wrote:
travanx wrote:
I didn't write down what was going on, but I tried many different ways and it just would not update 17201.

After looking for more info, I just tftp'd 17461 though and guess what, it worked without any trouble or any weird steps!

Look for v1 files near the bottom of this thread for anyone else frustrated with this router.
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=142862&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=75

I was about to order a new different model tonight and just be done with this hassle, glad I found something that worked.

I'm glad that build worked for you. Just from reading that thread, it sounds like a highly experimental build. If you run into problems, you may want to just revert back to using r16785 until something slightly more stable gets released. Just keep playing with what you have for now I guess. Wink
Sponsor
splitlenz
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 18:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
sumolx wrote:
These are the steps I took to getting 17201 installed in my router.

1. TFTP flash 16785 (wndr3700-factory_NA_16785.img)
2. Reset to Factory Defaults.
3. Then upgrade with (wndr3700-webflash_17201.bin) and make sure reset to factory defaults is NOT selected.

Thanks. This worked out for me it seems. Hoping I can continue upgrading in the future. Maybe we should sticky this as How-To upgrade WNDR3700 routers bought on dailysteals for future updates. Joking, kinda.
sumolx
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 23:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
hijglander wrote:
sumolx wrote:

3. Then upgrade with (wndr3700-webflash_17201.bin) and make sure reset to factory defaults is NOT selected.

Please let us know how this works out in about 2 to 3 weeks. With me it took a while with 16994 but eventually it just died on me.

Just an update, the router has had no issues since the update. I figure there must be some kind of size/header check that is performed when a TFTP flash is performed but not when a gui flash is performed. In either case I expect this method will no longer work once the binary has exceed the true size of the flashable area, which at that point I would expect random exceptions to occur if the flashing code doesn't return an error.

Obviously... this is not a recommend way to upgrade, hopefully the starting address for flashing is 8Mbytes (or whatever the size of flash is) - End Address otherwise I'm not sure if its possible to write over the booting logic (That is if the boot logic doesn't start at address zero and is also contained in the same flash chip... I have no idea what the memory structure is for this router, so these are only my paranoid assumptions.... Wink
splitlenz
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
Is port forwarding working correctly for you guys? It doesn't seem to be working correctly for me.

I'm using port range forwarding to open some ports for some apps im running. They were working fine with another router I was using before this one. Anyone have any ideas?

How do you have it setup, maybe I'm doing it wrong.
mikey0000
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 15:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
it seems firmware upgrading is a real mixed bag of trial and error with the wndr3700 I've just spent about 2 hours continuously attempting upgrades to r16785 and r17201 I've somehow managed to get r16785 to work through the web interface(webflash.bin) then upon trying to do the same with r17201 it fails, tried many times to tftp r16785 and didn't work and then finally as above I get an upgrade
bjoeg
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 19:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
sumolx wrote:

Can also confirm this, so please change the wiki, since it points to to newest files, which does not work.
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Netgear_WNDR3700

I used the Wiki procedure, which resulted in a bricked flash. Several lights (power, LAN and WPS) periodically switched in same pattern over and over. Trying to connect to router resulted in no response, then 5 seconds able to ping, and then no response all over.

Seemed like the router was in an endless reboot.

Then tried Sumolx guide, which worked like a charm, just remember to do 30/30/30 after initial flash.
mattkime
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
could me as another with the daily deals hardware and the endless reboots when following the wiki directions. it would be nice if we could get a new set of instructions but it seems like everyone is finding little variations that work for them.

the wiki page, at minimum, needs a link on how to do the tftp flash. i spent a bunch of time trying the standard method when it clearly doesn't work. holding in the reset button on power on until the power light starts flashing works pretty much right away.

is there a particular advantage to upgrading to the latest version? after reading about all the problems i think i might stay at 16785.

its late here but i'm satisfied that i made progress. i this eventually helps others.
mattkime
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've updated the wiki to point to this page. In retrospect the wiki directions were terribly misleading, so much so i'm not sure how to edit them. Hopefully an expert can make better sense of the trouble we've experience here.
adamlogan
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 14:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi guys,

So, this is my first experience flashing a router. I went into this blind not knowing if my router was v1 or v2 as I threw away the box a long time ago. I did try and find out via other means but no cigar. Anyways from what I can tell from my experience tonight I think it's a v1.

Figured out how to do the tftp gig, easy peasy on the mac. Was able to get wndr3700-factory.img build 14896 on there, but whenever I changed settings and saved, I'd get the apply.cgi page. Tried resetting then tftping the wndr3700-webflash.bin to see if that would set things right. No luck, tried all the v2 versions too.

Seriously, just looking through the menu was a treat. Open vpn, ssh, dns updaters, so many goodies! I want the power and convenience of dd-wrt on my router. Any help? What's the latest functioning build? I'm just using the dd-wrt router database. Are the versions mentioned earlier really the current working build for v1? If so mind helping me out with links/ a dir where I can find em?

I'm back to the latest netgear firmware for now.. Apologies if I'm not too clear, I'm pretty tired. I'll check back tomorrow and try again.

Last edited by adamlogan on Thu Jan 05, 2012 17:09; edited 1 time in total
AdrenalineJunky
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 18:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
adamlogan wrote:
Hi guys,
Figured out how to do the tftp gig, easy peasy on the mac. Was able to get wndr3700-factory.img build 14896 on there, but whenever I changed settings and saved, I'd get the apply.cgi page. Tried resetting then tftping the wndr3700-webflash.bin to see if that would set things right. No luck, tried all the v2 versions too.

This is what happens if the NVRAM is not cleared. Every time you try to save a change you get bounced to the blank apply.cgi page and it just sits there.

I use my own version of the "30/30/30" to fix this: hold the reset until the first light starts blinking green (about 30 seconds). Then (still holding the reset) turn off the router, wait five seconds or so, then turn it back on (still holding reset) until the first light starts blinking green again (about 30 seconds). Then let go of reset, turn it off and on... and just boot normally.

Actually, I strongly suspect that this would work just as well if you simply turn the router off, wait a few seconds, and start it while holding the reset button, wait until the first light blinks green, then release reset and reboot. But I've never verified. I know this simple method will reset the dd-wrt defaults, but I can't say for sure it clears the NVRAM completely.

Incidentally, the first light blinking green also seems to be the indicator that the router is ready for a TFTP upload, which I've had to do on many occasions after bricking the router. Almost threw away the router once before I figured this out.

I have a V1 and I'm personally just sticking with the old 14896 build because it does what I need it to do.
acoolwelshbloke
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just thought i would add that i had no problems upgrading my WNDR3700v1 router to 17201, i was on 14929 i logged in to the GUI and selected firmware upgrade without reseting my router and i selected 16785 webflash bin and all went well i then flashed 17201 webflash bin again without reseting to defaults and it flashed no problem at all i am now running 17201.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:09    Post subject: Much simpler approach Reply with quote
I took the really obvious approach on Win7 with the most recent known-working version of DD-WRT for WNDR3700v2, r16785:

1) Connect to the router over ethernet cable. Don't bother installing TFTP, setting a static IP, etc.

2) Download r16785: ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/2011/04-09-11-r16785/netgear-wndr3700v2/wndr3700v2-factory_NA.img

3) Open the Netgear web interface by visiting the IP of the router.

4) Upgrade the router as though you were upgrading it to a Netgear firmware upgrade - but use the .img file you downloaded in step 2 instead.

5) Lots of updating and blinking and other nonsense happens for 3-4 minutes. Eventually the router returns to its normal pattern of blinking, and your computer gets an IP.

6) Connect to the router web interface. You're now in DD-WRT. It requires no username or password when it first starts, but does demand you set a username and password before using it further.

As icing, I was able to relatively quickly setup a Guest Network, similar to what the stock Netgear option provided. In DD-WRT you click the Wireless tab, then under Virtual Interfaces you click Add. This is the equivalent to a Guest Network.

Last edited by cmoschini on Wed Nov 09, 2011 20:48; edited 1 time in total
bill.brunt
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 20:41    Post subject: where is the download Reply with quote
I've read through most of these posts and see references to r16785 and higher but I'm embarressed to say I can't find find where these builds are posted.

A clue in the right direction would be appreciated.
cmoschini
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 20:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
Read my post immediately prior to yours.

The general folder for that build:
ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/2011/04-09-11-r16785/netgear-wndr3700v2/
DarrellG13
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 23:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
OK, I also received a refurb unit as people have posted above. Hopefully, they replaced the tx antenna that was giving people issues.

It's a WNDR3700 v1 and I got it from eBay.

I tried the wiki method with no such luck. I ended up in an infinite reboot with the router stuck in recovery mode.

Then I tried the method posted by hidden72:

Login to the web interface (192.168.1.1), make a few misc changes, save/apply.

2.) upgrade with wndr3700-webflash_17201.bin

I was able to get 16785 up and running, but after a "successful" (so says DD-WRT) upgrade, the router was stuck with blinking lights and I couldn't access it. Tried a hard reset with no luck.

Here's what I did next:

1. Put router into recovery mode (blinking green light).
2. Re-flashed 16785 via TFTP. (no need to TFTP stock FW).
3. Logged into the router, updated the password.
4. Did adrenilinejunkie's version of 30/30/30:

hold the reset until the first light starts blinking green (about 30 seconds).
Then (still holding the reset) turn off the router, wait five seconds or so, then turn it back on (still holding reset) until the first light starts blinking green again (about 30 seconds).
Then let go of reset, turn it off and on... and just boot normally.

5. Logged back into the router and installed wndr3700-webflash_17201.bin via the web interface.
6. Waited for a while and the router was up and running 17201.

I then did another one of the 30/30/30s from step 4 just to be safe and everything is fine.

Hope this helps. I have spent many hours on this and I'm very happy to be up and running.

Good luck.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 4 of 5
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: