Netgear WNDR3700, not possible to install DD-WRT on it :)

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
hmmmz
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
LOM wrote:
You have to press the Save button after filling in an entry.
The Add button is for getting another new empty entry.

Haha, sorry i feel so stupid, i found it out last night yes... EXUSES FOR MY NOOB COMPLAINT!

xD

BUT i have a new question which im sure its not me Razz

Router seems to kinda 50/50 work, cant release the ip for 1 computer, even when put static in windows, and static in router?

After some time i managed to get in 1?!!! Custom QoS rule... Now, when QoS is pressed, and then add new rule, the new window pops up, takes 10 seconds to load, if im lucky????It will popup WITHOUT a apply settings button :S

If im unlucky, it will timeout, and die on me totally :S, no webinterface nothing....

So i use QoS and the router webinterface dies, internet stays online and lan??

Did something go wrong on install that causes this shit?

I read everyone loved ddwrt so much, but i cant see why after this install, cant even get my Original firmware backon with nthe repair tool from the netgear cd, or the webinterface.

After reboot its just ddwrt again?

Stranges... Sad

Edit: I wish i never tried this out of curiosity, the router funtions 50% basicly, i have always internet, but thats about it... i cant revert the firmware in any way it seems :S

All options prescribed here, work for 90% and then fail on the end... daytek tool netgear tool having an open ping connection etc window of time to flash it, i see ping all the time, see sending, and get the returns that router keeps timing out on end, with different tools...

i setup a switch also, to try keep the signal, but then i got ACK signal timeout -.-, so i took it out...

The only way to make it work 90% is to start it up with reset button in, and time it right, looking at ping window, then the prog accepts ,sends, let me wait, and fails with timeout -.-

Yes i want the stock formware back, because for me it was 99% more functional, the funny thing is, ddwrt alienated my router and i cant get it off anymore it seems in any way, perhaps really brick it with a hammer lol.

If anybody has a DIRECT tut howto restock the WNDR 3700 please let me know, see too much weird topics with half solutions.

Edit2:

Im going to read this !

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=79802&highlight=stock+wndr+3700

Edit3:
FIXED!!!!!!!! first try 5 minutes it was done!

Drop any other way of flashing, this is it.

No Bullshit!

Smile Thanks!
Sponsor
Stargazer
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 22:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
Have the same problem with WNDR3700v1.

This helped to solve a problem:

sumolx wrote:
These are the steps I took to getting 17201 installed in my router.

1. TFTP flash 16785 (wndr3700-factory_NA_16785.img)
2. Reset to Factory Defaults.
3. Then upgrade with (wndr3700-webflash_17201.bin) and make sure reset to factory defaults is NOT selected.
JDickiez
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
Stargazer wrote:
Have the same problem with WNDR3700v1.

This helped to solve a problem:

sumolx wrote:

3. Then upgrade with (wndr3700-webflash_17201.bin) and make sure reset to factory defaults is NOT selected.

Very Happy Confirmed!

Downloads can be found here:

r16785

r17201
tilutza
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
Confirmed too, I used a build from April 2010, and It works, it took e some time to figure out the problem (I before to read these posts)
fabman
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 16:54    Post subject: Netgear WNDR3700v1 and DD-WRT BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2 Reply with quote
I tested various revisions at ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/2011/ with WNDR3700v1.

I've also found that the most recent build that works is the April one: ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/2011/04-09-11-r16785/netgear-wndr3700/wndr3700-factory_NA.img . Later builds do not work: after the firmware is uploaded, the router is stuck an endless loop.

In summary:

04-09-11-r16785/ OK
05-08-11-r16994/ BAD
06-14-11-r17201/ BAD

Possible way to upgrade to 17201:

sumolx suggest to install 16785 and then upgrade to 17201 via web interface, resetting to factory defaults first and then upgrade to 17201 making sure reset to factory defaults box is NOT selected. I'll give it a try and report back.

Cheers,

Fabio
Piccirello
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
The following steps worked perfectly for me. My WNDR3700v1 is now running build 17201.

sumolx wrote:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 20:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
Piccirello wrote:
The following steps worked perfectly for me. My WNDR3700v1 is now running build 17201.

sumolx wrote:

hey guys, I just want to be sure. can someone provide me how to do this? like a step by step with the proper links to the correct firmware. i dont want to screw this up. i just tried flaying my V1 3700 and it failed (i just reset it back to netgear stock firmware)

thanks
kenyee
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 21:26    Post subject: 16785 to 17201 didn't work right on mine... Reply with quote
I got a WNDR3700v1 as most folks probably did from the DailySteals deal.

Same symptoms as everyone else prompted me to find this thread...flashing the 6/14/11 build via the netgear web UI (1.0.4 or 1.0.16 which is the latest doesn't matter) or even flashing it via tftp w/ and w/o the 30-30-30 before/after reset flat out doesn't work. It goes into an infinite reboot afterwards. To fix the infinite reboot, you can install the latest 1.0.16 firmware from Netgear's site via the tftp recovery mode. I was feeling like a retard until I found this thread because I thought I followed all the directions perfectly (and this is the 4th router I've tried putting DDWRT on and none of them have given me this much trouble).

So I got 16785 on by installing via the 1.0.16 Netgear UI. However, when I go into the web UI to reset to defaults, the web page goes to apply.cgi and doesn't display anything. I changed a few things to confirm that this did zippo for the default settings. I then reset it by holding the reset button down until the leftmost green led went to yellow and it definitely reset.

Then I uploaded the webflash version of 17201.bin...even renamed it to 17201.bin to see if I'm hitting a filename issue...the upload gets a "The connection was reset" error in firefox (confirmed using firebug...it dies after 15ms during the POST).

Switched to MSIE (was using Firefox 6.0). File seemed to upload..claimed it was rebooting and it got stuck w/ the leftmost light blinking green. Power cycled it w/ the button....leftmost light still blinking green (I think some thread mentioned this means the flash is corrupted).

The fact that you guys need the 16785/17201 workaround means there's a bug in 17201 Wink

Thinking of trying Gargoyle (openwrt based) at this point unless anyone has any other suggestions...hate the netgear GUI... Razz
Piccirello
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
Valkyrie743 wrote:
Piccirello wrote:

sumolx wrote:

hey guys, I just want to be sure. can someone provide me how to do this? like a step by step with the proper links to the correct firmware. i dont want to screw this up. i just tried flaying my V1 3700 and it failed (i just reset it back to netgear stock firmware)

thanks

Let's see if I can't help out.

1) "1. TFTP flash 16785 (wndr3700-factory_NA_16785.img)"
Put your WNDR3700 into recovery mode by pushing and holding in the Reset button on the bottom until the power LED blinks green. Then, using a TFTP program (use Google to find one for your OS), send the r16785 firmware file to 192.168.1.1.

2) "Reset to Factory Defaults."
Once the router reboots and the WiFi LEDs illuminate (either green or blue), go to 192.168.1.1 in a web browser. If prompted, the default username is root and the default password is password. Then, go to the Administration tab, click Factory Defaults, select Yes, and hit Apply Settings.

3) "Then upgrade with (wndr3700-webflash_17201.bin) and make sure reset to factory defaults is NOT selected."
Navigate back to 192.168.1.1 in your browser and click on the Administration tab. Then, click Firmware Upgrade. On this page, set "After flashing, reset to" to "Don't reset" and click Choose File to upload the r17201 firmware. Finally, click Upgrade.

Hope this helped! If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:26    Post subject: Re: 16785 to 17201 didn't work right on mine... Reply with quote
kenyee wrote:

Same symptoms as everyone else prompted me to find this thread...flashing the 6/14/11 build via the netgear web UI (1.0.4 or 1.0.16 which is the latest doesn't matter) or even flashing it via tftp w/ and w/o the 30-30-30 before/after reset flat out doesn't work. It goes into an infinite reboot afterwards. To fix the infinite reboot, you can install the latest 1.0.16 firmware from Netgear's site via the tftp recovery mode. I was feeling like a retard until I found this thread because I thought I followed all the directions perfectly (and this is the 4th router I've tried putting DDWRT on and none of them have given me this much trouble).

So I got 16785 on by installing via the 1.0.16 Netgear UI. However, when I go into the web UI to reset to defaults, the web page goes to apply.cgi and doesn't display anything. I changed a few things to confirm that this did zippo for the default settings. I then reset it by holding the reset button down until the leftmost green led went to yellow and it definitely reset.

Then I uploaded the webflash version of 17201.bin...even renamed it to 17201.bin to see if I'm hitting a filename issue...the upload gets a "The connection was reset" error in firefox (confirmed using firebug...it dies after 15ms during the POST).

Switched to MSIE (was using Firefox 6.0). File seemed to upload..claimed it was rebooting and it got stuck w/ the leftmost light blinking green. Power cycled it w/ the button....leftmost light still blinking green (I think some thread mentioned this means the flash is corrupted).

The fact that you guys need the 16785/17201 workaround means there's a bug in 17201 Wink

Thinking of trying Gargoyle (openwrt based) at this point unless anyone has any other suggestions...hate the netgear GUI... Razz

I too got mine through DailySteals. I'm glad they finally shipped the damn things! At least I was able to get a shipping refund; I know not everyone was so lucky.

Anyway, I have minimal knowledge of dd-wrt and thus the only thing that comes to mind is to make sure you're connected to your router with an ethernet cable rather than over WiFi.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:31    Post subject: yes I was using an ethernet cable Reply with quote
Been ddwrt user for a long time...since the WRT54G days, so I always use an ethernet cable to do updates to devices Wink

I'm surprised you got them to give you a shipping refund at all. Still a good deal for $55.

p.s., Gargoyle installed ok...only weird quirk is the SSID can't have spaces or punctuation but those are allowed in DDWRT (replacing a router w/ a name of "Ken's Wifi" Smile It doesn't have anywhere near the amount of features that DDWRT has Razz
chinesestunna
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 13:38    Post subject: Re: 16785 to 17201 didn't work right on mine... Reply with quote
kenyee wrote:

Same here Smile Here's how to get around the upgrade bug, don't use firefox. I'm serious, it's pretty sad and I use firefox for my daily browser as well but latest versions will not work with DD-wrt upgrade panel, it just goes directly to connection reset. Use Chrome or IE, works great Smile
Valkyrie743
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
Piccirello wrote:
Valkyrie743 wrote:
Piccirello wrote:

sumolx wrote:

thanks

Put your WNDR3700 into recovery mode by pushing and holding in the Reset button on the bottom until the power LED blinks green. Then, using a TFTP program (use Google to find one for your OS), send the r16785 firmware file to 192.168.1.1.

Once the router reboots and the WiFi LEDs illuminate (either green or blue), go to 192.168.1.1 in a web browser. If prompted, the default username is root and the default password is password. Then, go to the Administration tab, click Factory Defaults, select Yes, and hit Apply Settings.

3) "Then upgrade with (wndr3700-webflash_17201.bin) and make sure reset to factory defaults is NOT selected."
Navigate back to 192.168.1.1 in your browser and click on the Administration tab. Then, click Firmware Upgrade. On this page, set "After flashing, reset to" to "Don't reset" and click Choose File to upload the r17201 firmware. Finally, click Upgrade.

o thanks so much. got it working and its working great.

hey some questions for you. what do you set your TX and RX Antenna Chains to? i have mine set to 1+2+3 for both. by default they were 1+2 for both but i had VERY poor signal strength. also what do you set your Channel Width to? right now i have it at turbo (40Mhz) but the default was 20Mhz. should i change it back to 20Mhz? besided's those questions, its working great. i have not yet had DNS drop yet (stock netgear firmware did this)
Piccirello
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
Valkyrie743 wrote:
Piccirello wrote:
Valkyrie743 wrote:
Piccirello wrote:

sumolx wrote:

thanks

o thanks so much. got it working and its working great.

hey some questions for you. what do you set your TX and RX Antenna Chains to? i have mine set to 1+2+3 for both. by default they were 1+2 for both but i had VERY poor signal strength. also what do you set your Channel Width to? right now i have it at turbo (40Mhz) but the default was 20Mhz. should i change it back to 20Mhz? besided's those questions, its working great. i have not yet had DNS drop yet (stock netgear firmware did this)

I left my antenna chains at the default 1+2 and have great range. When researching the settings, I came across this on a dd-wrt wiki page: "Some popular routers such as the Netgear WNDR3700 and D-Link DIR-825 B1/B2 require both chains set at 1+2 for proper Wi-Fi performance." If 1+2+3 works for you then great, though if you start having problems check that setting again.

As for Channel Width, I'd once again advise you to leave it if it works for you. If you live in a crowded area (apartment, condo, etc.) you may have more luck from using a program like inSSIDer to identify the least crowded channel (1, 6, or 11) and switch to it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
its just a house. not many wireless signals around. once going out in the back yard or front porch, there's about 6-8 but they are very weak (20% or lower)

I have the channel set to 1 being that everyone is either one 6 or 11 when i tested to see how many other networks were around.

i only use the 2.4ghz band (turned off the 5Ghz band being that i have nothing that supports it yet Sad )

i was not sure if the width would allow for more bandwidth on wireless and/or allow for being farther away from the unit or not. i have a HTPC downstairs that steams HD video from my server (server hard line HTPC wireless) and i just want to not worry about throughput while streaming videos but others using their laptops at the same time (kids)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 5
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: