Disclaimer: I am not great with computers. Linksys WRT54GL

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Lero
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:13    Post subject: Disclaimer: I am not great with computers. Linksys WRT54GL Reply with quote
I've had my Linksys for a year or two now, but over the last couple of weeks I've been experiencing problems with it. After 5-7 hours my connection would slow to a crawl and return errors when loading webpages. VOIP programs were largely unaffected, though sometimes disconnected.

Without fail, rebooting the router (pulling the power for a few seconds) fixed it. (For 5-7 hours.) Uploading any significant amount of data (eg seeding torrents) seemed to cause the same problem.

So today, about an hour ago now, I rebooted my router the same way, and when I plugged it back in it had lost its configuration. I guess I unintentionally hard-reset it. On top of that, it was no longer serving to its WAN. I tried to fumble my way through setting it back up, ended up calling the guy who did it last time who told me it should be fairly intuitive, just pop in an SSID and set security.

Did that, no dice. Jiggled all the cords, rebooted the router and modem, no joy.

So basically until I can get my guy in tomorrow I'm wondering if any of you can think of anything obvious I could have missed?

Additional info that may be of use (I have no idea):

"Internet" and "WAN" lights are lit up on my router. The "Ethernet" lights are not, though as I recall they were before all this.

It's a cable modem.

Ethernet seems unresponsive as well.

The control panel leads me to believe that the router IS sending and receiving packets.

If you need any information, ask away. I've got all night. D:
Sponsor
RCShadows
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
Try a factory reset and reconfigure your settings.

A factory reset involves:

o Holding the reset button in the back for 30 seconds

o Keep holding the reset button and pull the power from the unit, wait 30 more seconds while STILL holding the reset button

o Apply power back to the unit while STILL holding the reset button, hold for another 30 seconds

Thats a hard/factory reset. Now reconfigure the router in the GUI just as before.
Lero
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just did a 30/30/30 reset, no change.
GeeTek
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
Lero wrote:
Just did a 30/30/30 reset, no change.

The firmware version you run is confirmed to have a memory leak. You should try different versions as recommended by the PeaCock Sticky and not the Data Base.

http://69.175.13.131:8015 Streaming Week-End Disco. Station Ripper V 1.1 will do.
Lero
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
GeeTek wrote:
The firmware version you run is confirmed to have a memory leak. You should try different versions as recommended by the PeaCock Sticky and not the Data Base.

As per you and the PeaCock thread, I've updated to the latest BrainSlayer distribution that should be compatible with my router.

While I'm certain that would have solved my earlier problems with slowdown and interrupts, my current problem is unaffected.
GeeTek
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
Lero wrote:
As per you and the PeaCock thread, I've updated to the latest BrainSlayer distribution that should be compatible with my router.

A prior brief mention of this would have saved several hours of reading and forum feedback.

Let's get some other shit straight right now.

#1 - Firmware is either bad or good. It does not age and then start fucking up several months or years after being put into operation.

#2 - Hardware does age and starts fucking up, months or years after being put into operation. It is a matter of time. The longer yer hardware runs, the higher the odds of it fucking up, until it finally does.
I have numerours ( 35 or 40 ) old fucked up radios in boxes, stored under desks and stuff. Lots of them, everywhere ... Evil or Very Mad

http://69.175.13.131:8015 Streaming Week-End Disco. Station Ripper V 1.1 will do.

Last edited by GeeTek on Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:47; edited 1 time in total
Donny
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
GeeTek wrote:
#1 - Firmware is either bad or good. It does not age and then start fucking up several months or years after being put into operation.

AMEN BRO! And the corollary to this is:

3. Just because firmware is new, doesn't mean it is good. Sometimes, it is bad. Like many of the latest builds.

The OP seems to have missed note 7 in his exuberance to respond.

Peacock Thread Sticky- Just read it! (Anyone using SP1 will be taken out back and shot)
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=51486
GeeTek
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
GeeTek wrote:
.... not the Data Base.

I caught that... no ..., I even seen you do it ! Shocked

Donny
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
GeeTek wrote:
GeeTek wrote:
.... not the Data Base.

I caught that... no ..., I even seen you do it ! Shocked

The lord works in mysterious ways!

Be thankful you have an angel watching over you and your keyboard, cause your flag de-cal won't get you into heaven, anymore.

Peacock Thread Sticky- Just read it! (Anyone using SP1 will be taken out back and shot)
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=51486
Lero
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
GeeTek wrote:
A prior brief mention of this would have saved several hours of reading and forum feedback.

Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear. I had been running v24-SP1, but after your response I went off to update to BrainSlayer's v24 Standard Generic.

I had read the PeaCock thread (sorry about forgetting note 7 Razz) and the other announcements on this board, as well as poking around a bit on the wiki (though I couldn't really find anything that seemed pertinent to my case). More than anything else I was hoping updating wouldn't be the solution as it sounded to be a pain.

Quote:

#2 - Hardware does age and starts fucking up, months or years after being put into operation. It is a matter of time. The longer yer hardware runs, the higher the odds of it fucking up, until it finally does.

Reasonable. I'd best be off to Futureshop, then?
GeeTek
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
Lero wrote:
Reasonable. I'd best be off to Futureshop, then?

Not so fast. Have your browsing habits changed lateley ? Added new users ? Have you checked the DD-WRT status page periodically to see if RAM memory is running low ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: