How to set FON chillispot on DD-WRT + Fonera

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
fastness
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:16    Post subject: How to set FON chillispot on DD-WRT + Fonera Reply with quote
Have hacked my Fonera just for fun (I'm a control freak). The DD-wrt is running well. But I still want to share my WiFi.

How can I set FON chillispot now. I tried the way used in WRT54G. But it doesn't work.

Here is the way I tried and failed
http://www.fonspot.nl/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=18&Itemid=2&lang=en_GB

I got another fonera, and flashed it with FreeWLAN, and it's running smoothly.

I don't know what is " FonFan hotspot ID" for heartbeat setting? Is it something like 76543, found at the left up corner right below FON logo after login.
I tried with that number, and it seems work.

Thank your guys.

Last edited by fastness on Fri May 11, 2007 22:07; edited 3 times in total
Sponsor
pepsi_max2k
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
afaik chillispot on fon isn't working with ddwrt. not sure if it ever will. you may wanna try the following mod instead if you really want a fon hotspot running: http://en.freewlan.info/portal.php
the_dark_shadow
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 13:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
pepsi_max2k wrote:
afaik chillispot on fon isn't working with ddwrt. not sure if it ever will. you may wanna try the following mod instead if you really want a fon hotspot running: http://en.freewlan.info/portal.php

what mod?
pepsi_max2k
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 14:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
http://trac.freewlan.info/wiki/en/Installation
intrax
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 15:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
Chillispot not working on dd-wrt due to lack of memory... numerous post about this so SEARCH%^$##@#$$$%&&^%&%&%&READ before posting..... Twisted Evil
joksi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 16:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
i just reflashe done of my foneras wioth this freewlan thing, and i must admit, its far more easier than dd-wrt. i think 80% on this forum dont even need all features of DD-WRT, the most asked feature is a bridge. This does the Freewlan more then good.

Recommend this! Also much easier for newbies to reflash and your FON_AP will still be intact and act like it should, so no problems with FON and the promise whatsoever.
the_dark_shadow
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 16:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
and what about the heartbeat signal?
pepsi_max2k
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 16:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
>> and what about the heartbeat signal?

works as normal in ap mode, will work in repeater mode next firmware release (there's a fix for the current one if you can't wait).
joksi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 16:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
well, i wrote above post after checking the heartbeat, and assume it worked all together. cause the heartbeat works, BUT, for some reason my other fonera (DD-WRT) in client mode DHCP dont receive IP 192.168.182.x from Fon_AP FreeWlan.
Maybe its a temporal issue here, or maybe it doesnt work. however, i havent read anywhere that there should be any known issues.
joksi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 17:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
well, now i have to take it back. after three reboots finally my Fonera DD-WRT in client mode received a valid FON_AP IP from the FreeWLAN Fonera! :)

So yes, everything seem to work just nice. Can login to fun, and then continue surf the web :)

This couldnt ever work with DD-WRT, and I have tried it sooo many times!
fastness
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 17:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank your guys.

Now, My fonera is running FreeWLAN smoothly.

Where can I find my FonFan hotspot ID for heartbeat setting? Is it something like 76543, found at the left up corner right below FON logo after login, or just the email used for login?
e2roch
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 15:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
In FreeWlan, can we change chilli.conf settings if I want to use something else than fon ?
k0k0
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 7:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
No, you can't change any chillispot-settings, as the FreeWLAN-Addons are designed only to improve (the webinterface of) the Fonera and not to bypass FON-functionality.

ADMIN on the German FonBoard and all FreeWLAN-Boards.
chromoplastic
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 3:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi there,

I just flashed my Fonera with v24 Beta (05/02/07) std and i'm pleased with it.
But like many people i still would like to run my Fonera as a Fon Hotspot (just flashed because fon firmware is really awful). I don't want to cheat with fake heartbeat scripts.

I've no knowledge of linux, but it appears that Chilispot is needed but it can't be run that easily. So i tried this:

http://www.geek-pages.com/articles/latest/dd-wrt_-_multiple_ssids_-_1_for_fon_-_1_for_private_network.html

... but with no success. Can anyone give this a try?
joksi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 9:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
That guide is for Chillispot in DD-WRT, intensionally written for WRT54G routers. I think people have tried following the guide on a DD-WRT Fonera too, but it didnt end up working.
I have also tried this, and on a WRT54G, but not working for me at all. Get strnge behaviours from the routers with the new firewall rules...

The issue with DD-WRT on Fonera is said that it occupies to much memoryu, so that Chillispot cant run. Brainslayer states otherwise, if some services (all?) in the Fonera webUI is disabled that Chillispot should be able to run., I havent tested this myself cause I didnt really understand the point.

However, the best way running a FON Hotspot on a Fonera, but with a little bit more possibilities in the settings area, is to flash FreeWLAN firmware on it. I think FreeWLAN firmware in fact would be most suitable and pretty much enough for 80% of all users using DD-WRT on Fonera right now. I guess many pople arent using most of the DD-WRT options, because their not needed or not appropriate for the Fonera with one single ethernet port.
So in my opinion the most should be satisfied with the smaller FreeWLAN, that also offers a functioning FON_AP.

I have 4 Foneras with DD-WRT on them, and one Fonera with FreeWLAN just for testing, and I an recommend the FreeWLAN for most of you. It does what is most needed, at the same time giving much more freedom than original firmware. It also is reqritten based on the original firmware, so everything is supposed to work as it should againt FON servers and their will be no issue. The webinterface is even identical in layout to the original :)

I would first recommend this firmware in favour of DD-WRT, when it comes to Fonera users.
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: