Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
JonNA9D
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 0:30    Post subject: Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 Question Reply with quote
Yesterday I purchased a Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 and loaded DD-WRT on it. One of the reasons I purchased the "HP" model was for the high power mode it has to improve coverage. DD-WRT allows you to specify an output power up to 250 mW. Questions:

1.) Is the 250 mW the highest power of the WHR-HP-G54 is is that the highest power of a "normal" router?

2.) If 250 mW is not the highest power of the WHR-HP-G54 - what is?

3.) What is the safe maximum output power for the WHR-HP-G54 since it is considered a high power unit?

Thanks!

Jon
Sponsor
dicksons
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 2:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
Here's a link to a theread about this :

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1355&highlight=boardflags

The first thing to do with this unit after flashing DDWRT is to set the Boardflags.

from the command line

nvram set boardflags=0x2758
nvram commit
reboot

See how your range and speed look at the default 28 mW.

Next, try using 84 mW and see what your range and speed look like.

If that doesn't give the speed and range that you want/need, get a better antenna -- ( the stock external one is wimpy ).

There are hundreds like this one on eBay :

http://cgi.ebay.com/RP-SMA-2-4GHz-9dBi-High-Gain-WiFi-Wireless-Antenna_W0QQitemZ160005933319QQihZ006QQcategoryZ61816QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 2:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
Gee, someone else posted the same question basically today...I'll carry on in that thread..

Thanks...
colindean
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 3:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
dicksons wrote:

Is that safe without additional cooling?

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 3:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
colindean wrote:
dicksons wrote:

Is that safe without additional cooling?

Well, this is sort of what I was trying to get at by asking. If the unit is designed to put out much more power than that then it is safe. It is considered a High Power router. The question is what is the output power of a standard router and what is the output power of this one.

As for reliability and safety, I work in the wireless industry and actually sell 802.11 power amplifier chips. There's no reason why these things shouldn't be safe putting out 250 mW continuously. If there's sufficient heat sinking of the amplifier on the board, it shouldn't be a big deal. Yeah, it will get warm, but that's what it's supposed to do...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: