recommendation needed -- 3g + wifi-router + openvpn

icarus74
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:52    Post subject: recommendation needed -- 3g + wifi-router + openvpn Reply with quote
Is anyone aware of 3g wifi-routers, which can be openvpn enabled ? While I've found plain wifi-routers which will alow dd-wrt / open-wrt reflash enabling openvpn, and also wifi-routers that support 3g usb modems, i am yet to come accross something that brings these together i.e.
1) wifi router
2) 3g usb modem
3) openvpn

This is for a small residential network type of scenario, and 801.11b/g is fine, and 'n' is a plus.
Sponsor
switch
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 13:24    Post subject: Re: recommendation needed -- 3g + wifi-router + openvpn Reply with quote
icarus74 wrote:
Is anyone aware of 3g wifi-routers, which can be openvpn enabled ? While I've found plain wifi-routers which will alow dd-wrt / open-wrt reflash enabling openvpn, and also wifi-routers that support 3g usb modems, i am yet to come accross something that brings these together i.e.
1) wifi router
2) 3g usb modem
3) openvpn

This is for a small residential network type of scenario, and 801.11b/g is fine, and 'n' is a plus.

I've seen it done in OpenWRT with optware applications. Basically the guy took an USB-enabled router, smacked OpenWRT, put some 3G device-specific drivers and connected a 3G USB dongle. Easy from that point on.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 18:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
thanks @switch. that's a good suggestion. in fact, i have considered using an ARM9 board with an usb/sdio WiFi module and USB 3G module. i've found some of the not-so-loved RAlink usb modules for as little is $10, but a quick check tells me that stock linux has drivers for those, i.e. both for 3g and wifi modules, but i guess that is no guarantee that openWRT would be able to use those, right ?

150Euro is still on fairly expensive side for my needs.
livinlargeinthesun
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
Awesome! Just what I was looking for. Thanks! Smile
Jmeier
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
I had a RT-N16 running 3G with a Verizon USB stick. You could enable OVPN and it does wireless too.

Took me a day or so to get the 3G going but I didn't keep notes on it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: