WIKI: create account / edits

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
jimj
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 14:19    Post subject: Re: Error in GLOSSARY Reply with quote
ruggb wrote:
A SHUT-DOWN computer will not WAKE. Shut-Down == dead, no power. It MUST be SLEEPING to WAKE.

In the common usage of the term "shut-down" you can wake a shut-down/shutdown/powered off computer. While it's true there must be some power to the computer/NIC for it to wake, if your computer is configured correctly the WOL wiki is correct in stating you can wake a "slept/suspended, hibernating, or shut down computer."

I was going to add a note/link to the WOL wiki about how a static arp entry can disappear, but unfortunately it looks like wiki editing is still not allowed. Too bad that users like myself are unable to give back to the community.
Sponsor
msoengineer
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 16:56    Post subject: Re: Error in GLOSSARY Reply with quote
jimj wrote:
I was going to add a note/link to the WOL wiki about how a static arp entry can disappear, but unfortunately it looks like wiki editing is still not allowed. Too bad that users like myself are unable to give back to the community.

I added the link to the wiki topic under step 2 talking about ARP.

Thanks for sharing!

TIPS/TRICKS: Best QCA Wifi Settings | Latency tricks | QoS Port priority | NEVER USE MU-MIMO |
Why to NOT use MU-MIMO | Max Wifi Pwr by Country | Linux Wifi Pwr | AC MCS & AX MCS | QCA 5Ghz chnls to use | WIFI Freq WIKI | TFTP R7800 | Don't buy AX | IPERF3 How-To

[R9000]52396 nightly (Main Router)
[EA8500]43192 & 45493 (2xOffsite)
[R7800] resting
[WDR3600]BS 44715 (Offsite)
[A7v5]BS 43038 (Offsite+spare napping)
slycordinator
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 14:08    Post subject: Minor fix for "Useful Scripts" wiki Reply with quote
In the "Remove unused NVRAM parameters"

The lines with
Code:
nvram show | grep =$ | wc -l

can be shortened to:
Code:
nvram show | grep -c '=$'

And then
Code:
for line in `nvram show | grep =$ `; do var=${line%*=}; nvram unset $var; done

to

Code:
for line in $(nvram show | grep '=$'); do var=${line%*=}; nvram unset "$var"; done
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 15:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
Alternate version added.
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
fier
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 13:18    Post subject: Updates on N66U Reply with quote
Hey,

I went through a ASUS stock -> merlin -> CFE update -> DDWRT migration yesterday and I think the N66U page could use some cleanup. I can do it myself if I get an account, but if not, I'd suggest the following changes:

- push the whole NVRAM topic much further down the page (since the CFE upgrade is now optional if K3.X is used, which it should)
- Looking at the state of K2.6 paragraph ('All K2.6 builds after 43136 are likely broken') and the associated CFE/NVRAM issues, I'd just remove all references to K2.6 from the main body and put them into the 2.6 section, clearly stating that 2.6 is not recommended. Or maybe remove 2.6 completely from that page ('all builds likely broken').
- 'determine if updating to latest official Asus Firmware will also update to newest CFE version' -> it will not, the original version stays as it was,
- maybe mention that the upgrade to CFE can be optionally done while on Merlin.

cheers,

Przemek
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 13:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
That wiki seems to be maintained by a user named "Alvin" who has kept up fairly well, but. I corrected the note about the broken K2.6 builds with a reference to my post which was later edited and not linked in the wiki. I moved all the prerequisite and other information above "Installation" down to Notes for now. Having to read all the way through that prior to installation is not necessary. I put a reference to read the Notes section if any confusion occurred. Any further suggestions on fixing it to make it less messy or confusing are welcome.

NOTE: Why does the wiki not state to use the K26 nv64k upgrade images? That is interesting...

----------------------
fier
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 17:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
Looks much better now, thanks. I'd suggest adding a clear recommendation to use K3.x in the installation instructions. Taking into account everything else written on that page, it seem like the safest build to use. Right now that choice is a bit confusing for newcomers - there's a lot of warnings and things to check, all of which seem to be largely obsolete if you stick to K3.x.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 17:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
Assuming that every new user will:
  1. upgrade their CFE or receive a unit with the upgraded CFE,
  2. that each use case scenario will require a K3X build, and that
  3. the nv64k K26 builds will not work with the upgraded CFE
leaves a whole lot of what if's.

I'd like confirmation from seasoned users before I do any of that. I do agree that the wiki needs further editing to clear up a lot of the remaining confusion, though.

----------------------
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 Display posts from previous:    Page 4 of 4
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Contributions Upload All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: