Change your 610n V2 into an E3000 - Amended

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
slobodan
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 15:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
It is safe to replace Q2/3Q2/3US with EUÿÿEUÿÿEU inside the new cfe. I did this on two routers, and I had no problems with it. See http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=674105 for details.

2 times RT-AC56U running DD-WRT 45493 (one as Gateway, the other as AP, both bridged with LAN cable)

3 times Asus RT-N16 shelved

E4200 V1 running freshtomato 2020.8 (bridged with LAN cable)

3 times Linksys WRT610N V2 converted to E3000 and 1 original E3000 running freshtomato 2020.8 (bridged with LAN cable)

Sponsor
rishi_sanju
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:38    Post subject: Bricked e3000 ??? Reply with quote
I got a e3000, which has modified bootloader and router firmware to work with wireless controllers. Both bootloader and firmware has lot limitations. So, I was trying to replace router firmware but it does not work since it has quite a bit of restriction on which image it can take. So decided to replace bootloader(CFE) with generic one. When I tried to upgrade/replace, got message "bootloader should be between "6-256kb", in fact, the generic bootloader is 256 kb(262,144 Bytes). Thought it needs trx(though it never specified that). Converted .bin to .trx by using dd command. So, CFE.trx has reduced by 32bytes. Then bootloader is written successfully, but next power on, does not boot, only see power indicator keeps blinking. Tried 30/30/30, tftp method etc. none seems to work.

I had made a serial cable, but when it is working with current bootloader/firmware always see junk characters on the hyper term. Using the serial cable through WAN port opening. Tried various serial settings but, no avail.

Seems like it is v1, as I do not see version mentioned anyware on the router. Is my router 100+ paper weight ? Any possibility of recovering it back.

I read many posts in dd-wrt and other forum, but could not figure out with those. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
ws2000
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 22:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hello

I am still on build 15962 12/2010 and I was wondering if someone would recommend a newer build of for my wrt610n / E3000 ? Seems like it must be time to update the routers Smile

Thank you
nexus_21
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
OK so I'm still working on trying to jtag a wrt610 v2, i have bridged the five pads using conductive epoxy using a microscope and installed a jtag header. I connected the jtag port using a unbuffered jtag cable i made but i get unknown cpu id. I'm using tjtag v3.0.2-rc2 do I need a newer version of tjag or do i have a problem with my cable or connection ?

Last edited by nexus_21 on Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:07; edited 1 time in total
fggs
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
Try tjtag -probeonly /cable:dlc5
nexus_21
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
yea still no luck, I believe it's because the cpu is a bcm4718 and support was not added till tjtag v3.0.2 rc3.
can someone confirm this please Smile
fggs
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
Don't think so, but you will need final 3.0.2 version to work with unbuffered cables and I guess your problem is not related to the topic, you might want to start a new topic..
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 13:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
jtag should see the processor. I used 3.0.1 RC-??.

The processor was seen. I had to use /fc:107 /byte_mode to erase nvram. However, I use a wiggler. I never tested with an unbuffered cable.

I know the latest jtag completely supports the router using both wiggler and unbuffered.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi barryware, regarding the jtag of a 610nv2 converted to e3000, can you point me to a post on how to do it? I think I have bricked my unit during configuring it for my use with the latest build of kong's ddwrt. I tried serial but I cannot stop with CTRL+C.
Edimax 3G-6200N
sergio2007
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 23:57    Post subject: Can't get it to work Reply with quote
barryware wrote:
This is how to turn your 610N_V2 into an E3000. This will only work on a WRT610N_V2.

As with all procedures of this nature, there is a risk. I take no responsibility for what may happen to your router. It is all on you. If you are not comfortable or there is something you don't understand, do not proceed. You have been warned!

If you have a wrt610n_v2 and you do not know what a static ip is, or what a hex editor is, close this thread and continue browsing the forum.

User FrancoisC shares in the credit for this procedure.

Make sure your anti-virus and firewall software is disabled. Setting a static IP on your rig is recommended.

There is no operational jtag on a V2 or a 3000. If you brick your router, it may not be recoverable.

EDIT: This has changed. Jtag can be enabled if you are able and tjtag now supports this router.

If you do not follow the instructions exactly you may need serial to recover assuming your cfe flash was good. If you mess up the cfe flash, your router is now a 100+ dollar paper weight!

You will need a hex editor program. notepad is not a hex editor!, winSCP, and you must have SSH enabled in the dd-wrt firmware. Which means you must have dd-wrt already installed. winSCP uses SSH for file transfer. You will also need an E3000 cfe , and an E3000 build with a modified header. Both are attached below. The CFE you will have to edit. The modified build is ready to go. Both are attached.

This is what needs to be done:

Backup your existing cfe via http and put it in a safe place.

Edit the attached 3000 cfe with your macs, serial, and the 8 digit easy access pin. All found on your sticker. The CFE is a binary file so you must use a hex editor!

The mac address is found at offset 0x1E00 in the cfe file. The easy access pin is at offset 0x3FCDC. The serial number is found at offset 0x3FE30. Complete the edits and rename the cfe file to cfe_new.bin.

During the process, DO NOT power cycle your router. NEVER power cycle the router until all finished with the final flash and the router has booted.

Reset your router to defaults and enable SSH.

Once your CFE edits are done, use winSCP to copy the cfe file to the /tmp folder of the router.

Close winSCP and open a telnet session.

Issue the following commands:

cd /tmp

mtd unlock cfe

mtd write -f cfe_new.bin cfe

It only takes a few seconds to write the new cfe. When back at the telnet prompt, exit the session.

Now access the router via your browser.

Using the admin, upgrade tab, flash the attached build selecting to "reset to defaults" after the flash.

If you do not reset to defaults, your router will brick and you will need serial to recover!

Be patient.. This will take a while and the router may reboot three times. BE PATIENT! It can take up to 6 minutes or longer. I believe dd-wrt starts counting down from 360 when flashing. It took till the number 74 was displayed before I got a success message.. and it took a few more minutes after that for the router to boot for the final time. BE PATIENT!

Once booted, access the router, reset to factory defaults once more, then flash a 3000 build without the modified header.

DO NOT POWER CYCLE THE ROUTER AT ANY TIME

Note: This is the original thread with comments, assessments and a few foul ups. It is 15 pages long. The newest cfe is attached below in THIS thread:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=75183&start=0

Hi there I need your help im trying to Change the 610n V2 into an E3000 using your instructions but when I try to write the cfe file it gives me an error this is exactly what I type in Telnet...

root@DD-WRT:~# cd /tmp
root@DD-WRT:/tmp# mtd unlock cfe
Unlocking cfe ...
root@DD-WRT:/tmp# mtd write -f cfe_new.bin cfe
Couldn't open image file: cfe_new.bin!

Please help me. Thanks in advance.
slobodan
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 23:50    Post subject: Re: Can't get it to work Reply with quote
sergio2007 wrote:
Hi there I need your help im trying to Change the 610n V2 into an E3000 using your instructions but when I try to write the cfe file it gives me an error this is exactly what I type in Telnet...

root@DD-WRT:~# cd /tmp
root@DD-WRT:/tmp# mtd unlock cfe
Unlocking cfe ...
root@DD-WRT:/tmp# mtd write -f cfe_new.bin cfe
Couldn't open image file: cfe_new.bin!

Please help me. Thanks in advance.

I'm afraid you should not do this, because you missed the part with sending the file to /tmp and you will probably brick the router.

2 times RT-AC56U running DD-WRT 45493 (one as Gateway, the other as AP, both bridged with LAN cable)

3 times Asus RT-N16 shelved

E4200 V1 running freshtomato 2020.8 (bridged with LAN cable)

3 times Linksys WRT610N V2 converted to E3000 and 1 original E3000 running freshtomato 2020.8 (bridged with LAN cable)

daurwid
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 22:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
I can confirm that this procedure is good. I have a fully functional E3000 from the WRT610Nv2 unit. Thanks for this!

Due to this, I have ordered some 6+ used WRT610Nv2 units really cheap and plan to convert them. Will try to remember to post results of those.

Now I need to get the right build for it. Need to do DUAL WAN... I would love some recommendations...
abrasive
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 17:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
Can you tell me which pins are which? The jtag is not labeled with pin numbers.

I am unable to establish a link with the serial console. My 610n v2 converted to E3000 bricked to the flashing power light after a non nv60k flash. As far as I know, the conversion should have been successful as I saw the model listed as an E3000 on the ddwrt status page after the conversion process, but now serial gives me no joy.

Thanks!

barryware wrote:
the jtag pinout is the same as with any other linksys router.

1 - nTRSt
3 - TDI
5 - TD0
7 - TMS
9 - TCK
11 - nSRSt (not used)

Even pins (2~12) ground

you need to bridge the pads, but you do not need the resisters..

tip:

just use jtag to erase nvram.. after that, serial will work.. you can not let the router boot or else you will have to erase nvram again via jtag..

erase nvram with jtag..

power up the router & STOP THE BOOT with serial.. from there, it is a simple serial debrick.

IMG_20130503_1030412.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  858.81 KB
 Viewed:  24984 Time(s)

IMG_20130503_1030412.jpg

Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 18:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
Jtag will be a 12 pin port, and 1 will be the "square" one
LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
abrasive
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 1:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
The 610n to e3000 conversion thread specifies address JB3 on the board as the jtag port. It does have the square pin hole but only 10 pins... hmm.

Murrkf wrote:
Jtag will be a 12 pin port, and 1 will be the "square" one
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 4 of 7
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: