Change your 610n V2 into an E3000 - Amended

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
wats6831
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 22:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the help guys. I finally got it. Yes it definitely has changed, took me forever to figure it out and I remember doing in a couple of seconds early this year.
Sponsor
snori
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 4:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
Successfully converted my 610n.Thanks for the help guys.
kenysc
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for guide barryware and all who contributed to this thread, you offer me a free upgrade to my aged WRT610N V2!

Now I'm at the point looking at what E3000 dd-wrt to flash on, I have my eyes on dd-wrt.v24-17990_NEWD-2_K2.6_big-nv60k.bin.

According to http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=569485&highlight=#569485, I need to first flash a mini-e3000.bin build then a -nv60k.bin. Would you tell me if the below process would be fine?

0) dd-wrt.v24-14567_modified-e3000.bin (Currently on the converted router)
1) dd-wrt.v24-17990_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini-e3000.bin
2) dd-wrt.v24-17990_NEWD-2_K2.6_big-nv60k.bin

Many thanks!

DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
You can not flash another -e3000 named file, those are for initial flash when you have Linksys stock firmware on the router and want to convert to dd-wrt.

Flash 16785 or 16994 K26 mini e2k-e3k build, they are compatible with the build you have on the router now and are the last e2k-e3k builds made, the early 14567 build you have on the router now does not recognize -nv60k builds.

You can flash any nv60k build you like after having passed through 16785/16994.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 13:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi, this sequence worked for me:

- start with 14929 big (i.e. mega) build for WRT610N V2;
- hexedit the cfe with my own values (I did it with HxD and I have simply copied/pasted the values from my cfe backup; afterwards I did a content comparison between the the downloaded E3000 cfe and the hexedited cfe and they were identical, except for three locations where I have copied/pasted my own values - if in doubt, it is an important step, just to make sure that the edits were correct);
- FTP the new cfe to the attached hard disk;
- telnet to the router;
- copied the new cfe from the attached hard disk to /tmp;
- flashed the new cfe according to instructions;
- exited telnet;
- flashed the modified transitional firmware, checking reset to default settings;
- wait 10 minutes after flashing was succesfully completed (i.e. since seeing the password change screen);
- 30-30-30;
- flashed build 14929 (e2k-e3k version), checking reset to default settings;
- wait 10 minutes after flashing was completed (i.e. since seeing the password change screen);
- 30-30-30;
- configuring and start using it.

Just for the record, according to http://dmach.net/blog/2010/08/22/upgrade-your-linksys-router-literally/ , the offsets are:

MAC @ 0x1E00
SN @ 0x3FE30
PIN @ 0x3FCDC

Your own data is saved in the cfe backup at the same offsets as the new cfe.

2 times RT-AC56U running DD-WRT 45493 (one as Gateway, the other as AP, both bridged with LAN cable)

3 times Asus RT-N16 shelved

E4200 V1 running freshtomato 2020.8 (bridged with LAN cable)

3 times Linksys WRT610N V2 converted to E3000 and 1 original E3000 running freshtomato 2020.8 (bridged with LAN cable)

slobodan
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 19:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
I flashed another one and this sequence worked for me:

- started with older stock firmware;
- flashed newest stock firmware;
- after I got the GUI of the new firmware I waited 10 minutes and then did a 30/30/30;
- waited for 3 minutes and then flashed the WRT610N v2 mini build according to the wiki;
- after I got the GUI of the new firmware I waited for 10 minutes and then powered off for ten seconds, then allowed it to boot and then did a 30/30/30;
- hexedited the cfe with my own values (I did it with HxD and I have simply typed the values printed on the label; afterwards I did a content comparison between the the downloaded E3000 cfe and the hexedited cfe and they were identical, except for three locations where I have typed my own values - if in doubt, it is an important step, just to make sure that the edits were correct); this took about 10 minutes;
- used WinSCP (in SCP mode) to upload cfe_new.bin to /tmp of the router;
- telnet to the router;
- flashed the new cfe according to instructions;
- exited telnet;
- flashed the modified transitional firmware, having selected reset to default settings;
- after flashing was succesfully completed (i.e. since seeing the password change screen) I waited 10 minutes and then powered off for ten seconds;
- allowed it to boot and did a 30-30-30;
- waited 3 minutes and then flashed build 14929 (e2k-e3k version), having selected reset to default settings;
- after flashing was completed (i.e. since seeing the password change screen) I waited 10 minutes and then powered it off for 10 seconds;
- allowed it to boot and then did a 30-30-30;
- configured and started using it.

2 times RT-AC56U running DD-WRT 45493 (one as Gateway, the other as AP, both bridged with LAN cable)

3 times Linksys WRT610N V2 converted to E3000 and 1 original E3000 running freshtomato 2020.8 (bridged with LAN cable)

hoplita
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 15:20    Post subject: EU Version Reply with quote
Wondering if this also can be done with A EU WRT 610N V2, See the differences @ Screenshot.

Any ideas our do i need a other e3000_cfe_V21 for EU ?
I think this are the 3 spots which slobodan got aswell the difference ? as i can see he is from Europe i think he got a EU device as-well,

@ slobodan mooie Internet Snelheid daar

dd-wrt_EU.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  3.93 KB
 Viewed:  22976 Time(s)

dd-wrt_EU.png

slobodan
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 22:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
I was also puzzled by that EU/US difference, but I have successfully converted two WRT610N-EU (V2) to E3000. I have simply flashed the US bootloader. I don't know if this makes any difference, perhaps it tells the stock firmware what for router is that. I would not modify the US mark of the bootloader since I fear that the bootloader could become broken and I would brick my router.

hoplita
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 23:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
slobodan wrote:
I was also puzzled by that EU/US difference, but I have successfully converted two WRT610N-EU (V2) to E3000. I have simply flashed the US bootloader. I don't know if this makes any difference, perhaps it tells the stock firmware what for router is that. I would not modify the US mark of the bootloader since I fear that the bootloader could become broken and I would brick my router.

Alright i did the same, it's succesfull converted now.
By following your steps,
nexus_21
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 22:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
barryware wrote:
This is how to turn your 610N_V2 into an E3000. This will only work on a WRT610N_V2.

As with all procedures of this nature, there is a risk. I take no responsibility for what may happen to your router. It is all on you. If you are not comfortable or there is something you don't understand, do not proceed. You have been warned!

If you have a wrt610n_v2 and you do not know what a static ip is, or what a hex editor is, close this thread and continue browsing the forum.

User FrancoisC shares in the credit for this procedure.

Make sure your anti-virus and firewall software is disabled. Setting a static IP on your rig is recommended.

There is no operational jtag on a V2 or a 3000. If you brick your router, it may not be recoverable.

EDIT: This has changed. Jtag can be enabled if you are able and tjtag now supports this router.

If you do not follow the instructions exactly you may need serial to recover assuming your cfe flash was good. If you mess up the cfe flash, your router is now a 100+ dollar paper weight!

You will need a hex editor program. notepad is not a hex editor!, winSCP, and you must have SSH enabled in the dd-wrt firmware. Which means you must have dd-wrt already installed. winSCP uses SSH for file transfer. You will also need an E3000 cfe , and an E3000 build with a modified header. Both are attached below. The CFE you will have to edit. The modified build is ready to go. Both are attached.

This is what needs to be done:

Backup your existing cfe via http and put it in a safe place.

Edit the attached 3000 cfe with your macs, serial, and the 8 digit easy access pin. All found on your sticker. The CFE is a binary file so you must use a hex editor!

The mac address is found at offset 0x1E00 in the cfe file. The easy access pin is at offset 0x3FCDC. The serial number is found at offset 0x3FE30. Complete the edits and rename the cfe file to cfe_new.bin.

During the process, DO NOT power cycle your router. NEVER power cycle the router until all finished with the final flash and the router has booted.

Reset your router to defaults and enable SSH.

Once your CFE edits are done, use winSCP to copy the cfe file to the /tmp folder of the router.

Close winSCP and open a telnet session.

Issue the following commands:

cd /tmp

mtd unlock cfe

mtd write -f cfe_new.bin cfe

It only takes a few seconds to write the new cfe. When back at the telnet prompt, exit the session.

Now access the router via your browser.

Using the admin, upgrade tab, flash the attached build selecting to "reset to defaults" after the flash.

If you do not reset to defaults, your router will brick and you will need serial to recover!

Be patient.. This will take a while and the router may reboot three times. BE PATIENT! It can take up to 6 minutes or longer. I believe dd-wrt starts counting down from 360 when flashing. It took till the number 74 was displayed before I got a success message.. and it took a few more minutes after that for the router to boot for the final time. BE PATIENT!

Once booted, access the router, reset to factory defaults once more, then flash a 3000 build without the modified header.

DO NOT POWER CYCLE THE ROUTER AT ANY TIME

Note: This is the original thread with comments, assessments and a few foul ups. It is 15 pages long. The newest cfe is attached below in THIS thread:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=75183&start=0

I was wondering where the jtag info for this router can be found, I have been looking as i have been given two wrt610n v2 that are dead with flashing power led and serial console cannot connect to them.

From what I gather I need to bridge the five connections as shown in the picture and add 4.7k ohm resistors in series with an existing jtag cable.
If this is correct all I need to know is where are the jtag connections and what is the pin out.

thanks Smile
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 22:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
the jtag pinout is the same as with any other linksys router.

1 - nTRSt
3 - TDI
5 - TD0
7 - TMS
9 - TCK
11 - nSRSt (not used)

Even pins (2~12) ground

you need to bridge the pads, but you do not need the resisters..

tip:

just use jtag to erase nvram.. after that, serial will work.. you can not let the router boot or else you will have to erase nvram again via jtag..

erase nvram with jtag..

power up the router & STOP THE BOOT with serial.. from there, it is a simple serial debrick.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 13:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
barryware wrote:

you need to bridge the pads, .

how can I do this bridging as a newbie Embarassed
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 13:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
nos_com71 wrote:
barryware wrote:

you need to bridge the pads, .

how can I do this bridging as a newbie Embarassed

very carefully. I toasted two of these routers by lifting the pads from the pcb.

This was a secret but word has gotten out.

get yourself a circuit writer pen:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CIRCUIT-WRITER-PAD-CONDUCTIVE-TRACE-PEN-SILVER-PEN-/130635328110?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e6a78ea6e

or some conductive wire glue:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/No-Soldering-Solder-Wire-GLUE-iron-gun-Fix-Computer-Solar-Cell-Xmods-Rapid-Fire-/230757168332?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35ba32f4cc

use that to bridge the pads.

Let it be known that it is still not easy, but trying to bridge these pads with a soldering iron will lead to trouble.

good luck..

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 14:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
barryware

thanks for ur quick reply. I will buy these items and update u . Very Happy
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 14:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
nos_com71 wrote:
barryware

thanks for ur quick reply. I will buy these items and update u . Very Happy

you don't need both.. one or the other.

the circuit writer dries much faster and removes easier if you screw up (get sloppy). Both work.

Navigation

Jump to: