Bricked WHR-G54S *FIXED*

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Striker
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 16:27    Post subject: Bricked WHR-G54S *FIXED* Reply with quote
Yeah, I bricked it. Little advice to everyone.... don't accidentally click on a bookmark while in the middle of upgrading your firmware.... it doesn't turn out too good.

At first, when I would power cycle it, the red diag light would come on like it was booting but I couldn't tftp to it or anything. Now, that doesn't even happen. When I plug it in, the power light comes on and that's it. Ping gets no reply (timeout).

Anyway, the only thing I can figure to get it back is to short out the flash chip; which I have looked up in the wiki. My question is, has anyone here successfully done this? I'm a little afraid too because these pins are really small and unlike the WRT, I don't just short it out to the pin next to it, but I have to short it out to a GND. This makes it much harder because I have to make sure the screw driver stays right on top of that tiny little pin and doesn't slip into the grove on either side.

Now, there is a GND pin on the other side of the flash chip, but using that would make things twice has hard as they already are. So the only thing I can think of is to attach a wire to my screw driver and attach the other end to a GND somewhere on the board or straight into the GND in the wall socket.

Again, has anyone successfully done this? And if so, how did you do it?

Last edited by Striker on Sat Jul 08, 2006 2:13; edited 1 time in total
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 17:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
Have you tryed tftping to it again. It should respond on 192.168.1.1 now not 192.168.11.1
Badders
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 17:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
You should be able to get it working without having to short the flash chip.

The same thing happened to me a couple of days ago.

Check http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1217 for some advice given to my by BrianSlayer.

It's difficult to remember exactly what I did but it something like this:

Set my IP address to 192.168.11.2. Performed a long long reset and then powered up with reset pushed in. I also used the attached Linksys TFTP utility pointing to 192.168.11.1 and set the retry number to 20. As soon as the power was plugged in I kicked off the TFTP utitlity. Shortly afterwards I released the reset button. The diagnostic light started flashing. Success!

Hope it works for you.

tftp.zip
 Description:
Linksys TFTP utility

Download
 Filename:  tftp.zip
 Filesize:  14.45 KB
 Downloaded:  660 Time(s)

Striker
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 2:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok, got it back. I hadn't tried pinging 192.168.1.1 and when I pinged .11.1 I was still on the .1.x subnet (duh).

For some reason, it responded to 192.168.11.1. So I unplugged the power, typed in the tftp command, hit enter and plugged it back it. Bingo. It did it's thing, rebooted, and started responding via http on 192.168.1.1.

Thanks for your help guys.
FrankDD-WRT
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 23:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank God it's back, Buffalo rocks. Smile Can't live without mine.

Actually doing ANYTHING while you are flashing in a new firmware is bad. Accidents happen, I know, but doing anything might fuck up the upgrade. When I do one, I always pray there won't be a power outage!!! And I watch my kbd and mouse so that nothing coming from anywhere would make them move or hit a button.

WRT54G2 v24 sp1
WRT54G v5 v24 sp1
Weird WRT54G v1.0 not working
Linux openSUSE 10.3 KDE 64-bits
Striker
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 0:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
FrankDD-WRT wrote:
When I do one, I always pray there won't be a power outage!!!

That's why I got this. :D

Over kill? Hell yeah. Right now, I'm using 302 watts of power out of an available 865.
FrankDD-WRT
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
Striker wrote:
That's why I got this. Very Happy

Off topic : cheap price! Does it make any noise? Like a VRRRMMMMMMMM or something, a hummmm sound?

WRT54G2 v24 sp1
WRT54G v5 v24 sp1
Weird WRT54G v1.0 not working
Linux openSUSE 10.3 KDE 64-bits
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: