Is 802.1x Repeater or Client Mode Available?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
onestep
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 16:29    Post subject: Is 802.1x Repeater or Client Mode Available? Reply with quote
Help!

Here is the situation. I need to repeat a signal from my university (which is across the street). The signal is faint inside my house, and I occasionally lose connection. (Which is why I want to repeat it)

Here is the tough part, my university uses 802.1x authentication to connect to the wireless. Is there anyway I can either:
1) Simply "repeat" the signal (and authenticate through)
2) Put my DD-WRT into Client mode, and have the router authenticate with my credentials, and then setup a virtual interface to bridge me on.

Or is there any other creative solution?

Thanks for any help you can provide!

I have DDWRT running on both a Buffalo and a Fonera -- someone mentioned that this might take a Atheros based device to do, which is why I am asking here.

(repost from here)
Sponsor
onestep
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 4:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
any ideas?
dltv
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 7:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
it should work.. and i think their is a thread very similar to what your wanting.

You can set your La Fonera to act as a client mode and then add a Virtual Interface so you can connect to the La fonera wirelessly.

read the client mode guide here
http://dltv.wordpress.com/off-the-wall/a-guide-to-hacking-the-la-fonera-wireless-router/

and then .. go to the Client Mode Wiki that has been updated by pepsi. He goes into detail about how the Virtual Interface settings should be.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/LaFonera_Software_Client-Mode
should give you info to setting up the VI
zbarnes
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
How effective is the virtual network implementation?

I had a setup just like this, and whereas I could get 1500-2000kbps downloads on the faint signal connected to my laptop, whenever I did it with the fon I would only get 150kbps.

Any clues?
onestep
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
The problem isnt "client-mode" or getting the Fon to repeat normal 802.11b/g... The problem is getting the FON into Client-mode to login to an 802.1x network.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: