Settings to make DD-WRT act like a dumb switch?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
cire
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 22:33    Post subject: Settings to make DD-WRT act like a dumb switch? Reply with quote
How do I configure DD-WRT to act like a switch? I'm currently running a LaFonera with DD-WRT and in it's stock form I cannot access the files or printers connected to the primary router. The Fonera is connected to the primary router via wired ethernet.

Thanks for all the help in advanced.
Sponsor
BrainSlayer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 23:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
yes. but only with wds mode

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 23:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes this is also my question.

How to do this exectly i must disable the DHCP and what else i must do??
joksi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 0:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
To make it possible for your Fonera clients to access shared folders and printers on PCs connected to your main router (the one which the fonera is wired to) you just need to use the "stock DD-WRT settings".

Connect a laptop wirelessly two Fonera, and you will be able to access all PCs connected to the main router. You dont need WDS at all.

WDS is only if you want to bridge the fonera and main router by using the foneras WLAN to connect to your mainrouter, and the fonera ethernet to connect PC.

Ie PC --ethernet--- Fonera ---WLAN --- main router.

Normal usage is though as i explained

PC ---WLAN --- Fonera ---ethernet---- main router

You can have the Fonera in NAT or bridged, you choose.
cire
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
BrainSlayer wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe WDS is the solution since the Fonera is connected via wired ethernet.

The stock configuration does not work. I do believe it has something to do with the fact that my main router gives out IPs in the format of 192.9.200.x and the Fonera does it at 192.168.1.x.
joksi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
cire wrote:
BrainSlayer wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe WDS is the solution since the Fonera is connected via wired ethernet.

The stock configuration does not work. I do believe it has something to do with the fact that my main router gives out IPs in the format of 192.9.200.x and the Fonera does it at 192.168.1.x.

Exactly, WDS is not the solution in this case were in fact the ethernet is used as the "WAN" side.

WDS is for "standalone" repeaters.

It should work in theory, it doesnt matter what IP subnet your Fonera and associated clients are in, cause all networks outside of Foneras WAN port (in your case, your main routers 192.9.200.x) will be reached by the clients without any additional setup.

By the way, what private IP addressing scheme is 192.9.200.x Rolling Eyes

Change your main router instead to 192.168.1.1, and the Fonera to 192.168.2.1. The Fonera will get DHCP IP from the main router (192.168.1.x) and the fonera clients will get DHCP IP 192.168.2.x (be sure to enable DHCP server on Fonera).

Finally connect one PC, or a switch with several PC's. to Foneras ethernet port and you should be on the way! Smile
joksi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
Or, cause the case is your asking for a "dumb switch", just disable Internet connection on your Fonera so it will no longer receive DHCP IP from your main router.
Then give the Fonera a local IP in the SAME subnet as you router instead, ie 192.168.1.2.
Disable DHCP server too and this will make it possible for your Fonera clients to receive DHCP IP directly from your main router instead :)

There you have it, a completely bridged AP Smile
cire
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
joksi wrote:

Why are people so hostile towards non-standard IP formats? When we got our network for the first time, my dad decided that he'd use the format his company had.

Anyways, disabling internet connection and DHCP did the trick. Thank you very much Smile
sHARD>>
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 5:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
cire wrote:
joksi wrote:

Why are people so hostile towards non-standard IP formats? When we got our network for the first time, my dad decided that he'd use the format his company had.

Anyways, disabling internet connection and DHCP did the trick. Thank you very much Smile

As much as I find it silly to do so, it is in the Sun System Administration Guide, which probably explains why his company chose to do so in the first place. So, yeah, it's not too far out there to go for 192.9.200/24.

http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/806-0916/6ja85398v?a=view if anyone is interested in finding out why so many networks with Sun machines on them have such a scheme.
joksi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
cire wrote:
joksi wrote:

Well, im not hostile at all, i just werent sure if 192.9.200 is a private addressing scheme, cause only private addressing schemes can be used in LANs cause they are not publicly routable :)

I myself use 10.1.1.0, just to separate from the mass of 192.168.1.0 :P

Great, good luck!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: