Artheros Based Wireless Router And Outdoor Antenna

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
john8888
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:41    Post subject: Artheros Based Wireless Router And Outdoor Antenna Reply with quote
I am looking for a DD-WRT compatible wireless router that I can use with a single high gain 9 db outdoors omni-directional antenna. My goal is to extend wireless coverage as far as possible for a 802.11g network. I can not rely on the built in antennas because the wireless router will be installed inside of a steel server cabinet. I have read that I should not use a MIMO based wireless router with a single external antenna. Is this true? Does anyone have any recommendations for a suitable wireless router and outdoor wireless antenna? This is the wireless antenna that I am currently look at http://www.hawkingtech.com/products/productlist.php?CatID=32&FamID=58&ProdID=44 If anyone knows of a better quality and better performing antenna please let me know. Thanks.
Sponsor
Hortinstein
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 0:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
http://meraki.com/oursolution/hardware/outdoor/

this is a pretty cool little router if you want a mesh network default. It is compatible with DD-WRT however so you can reflash it. The legend firmware also works with it

If I were you though I would just build an outdoor case for a FON router, or just place a fontenna outside.
jerrydixon
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 23:04    Post subject: Atheros based router with outdoor antenna Reply with quote
I have successfully used an Airlink101 AR430 loaded with DD-WRT RC5 with an Hawking 9db outdoor antenna. Be sure to use a good, weatherproof outdoor cable (Hawking has a good 10m cable) and watch how many adapters you use to mate it all up. Each connection costs you about .5db of gain. The whole setup works very well. Hawking also has a booster amp that works well too, if you need still more gain and don't have issues with regulatory agencies.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: