Have I bricked my WRT54G V5?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
drewbles
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 13:58    Post subject: Have I bricked my WRT54G V5? Reply with quote
I've been digging around the wiki's and google-ing all night trying to fix my damn V5.

I managed to get the latest dd-wrt image on there and all was happy. I made a change to the gateway IP address on the web page gui and this is where all the dramas started.

The router reloaded fine and came up but was not pingable. It had a solid light on the power and a solid light on the ethernet port.

I attempted a 'reset' at the back and now it powers up with all lights on solid, not the power light flashing as it suggests.

When an ethernet cable is plugged in and the 'ping and plug in' steps are taken, I'm not even seeing a link (tried 10mb/half duplex).

I can't seem to find the flash to short the pins necessary and to be honest don't want to have to do this unless it's absolutely necessary (which from reading people keep telling me it's not!)

I don't have access to a JTAG to play around with and i'm not good with making such cables. Can anyone suggest anything? or have I just blown $100 :S

Drew
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 14:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
I dunno what has gone on here , but if ALL your the lights are solid, maybe your NVRAM area has somehow gotten hopelessly corrupted. I don't know how this could have happened though.

Yea, I wouldn't advise the pin shorting stuff, you are as likely to kill your router forever than recover it. Also, you need to be technically apt to do the pin shorting 'right'.

I don't know what to tell you.. an ubuffered JTAG is very easy to build, or order. I'd say order a JTAG, or pass it off to someone who can unbrick it for you.
subwaygop
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 15:37    Post subject: brick v5 Reply with quote
Drewbles,

I think there are problems with some v5. I was running Linksys own firmware when it bricked on me. I bought the v5 back in April, I didn’t hook it up and use it until May. It work for 2 days or so and then bricked. All lights where green. I didn’t do any type of firmware upgrade our anything, just right out of the box.

I called Linksys and they sent me another v5. It’s been running over a month now. I just flashed it with dd-wrt (micro) a few days ago and it’s still up and running with no problems.

Call Linksys and they will send you out another router. They ship fast.

Don't tell them about the 3rd party firmware Embarassed
drewbles
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 22:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the advice subway. I'll ring them and play dumb but most of the time in Australia they'll make you take it into a service centre for evaluation where they will see the 'void if broken' tab that's been broken :)

I'll give them a call and see. If it's a known issue with the usual linksys firmware I may get lucky who knows.

(as a note up until it did this it was playing nicely with the dd-wrt firmware, I can only hope my V2 I have on the same network keeps working with it now!)
drewbles
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 2:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
Update: Linksys want me to return the router to the original store it was purchased from. Doesn't look like they'll just post me a new one unfortunately. And the warranty seal is broken (the adhesive that reveals 'void' is showing, not the tag actually broken). In hindsight, I should have probably not opened it as i've not done anything to it but that's a bit late now.

Anyone have any other suggestions? Not sure of anyone in Melbourne Australia that can do a JTAG for me Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: