QoS: How to find the right "Bandwith in Kbits"

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom Customer Downloads & Updates
DZ
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 15:26    Post subject: QoS: How to find the right "Bandwith in Kbits" Reply with quote
Hello, the default value in "Default Bandwith Level" is 5000 Kbits of bandwith, i don't know what thats means, and how you find that value, so any help to understand that will be very appreciate.

Thanks a lot.
Sponsor
ro-maniak
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 19:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
I would like to know this as well. Even the wiki says that the value is unknown and no explanation has been provided by anyone.

Brainslayer, if you just don't know what it means but just implemented it because it was there as an option in the l7-filter, why don't you just say so? People will be more satisfied if you say "ok I don't know yet but this is why it is there, try this setting maybe..." than with just silence.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
I think it's just an example, I mean; it's better than an empty box.
And if you start using QoS you should know what your own speeds are (usually in kbits).

Donater
ro-maniak
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 17:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
I think you are missing the point. You have to enter your speeds allright, in two boxes that are at the top of the page. Recently, there appeared a new box at the bottom of the page, "Default Bandwith Level". I understand that 5000 is just some value, but what do I have to put here? My full bandwidth (other than 85%, which I have to put in the box at the top)? Upstream? Downstream? The sum of both? Does this value limit anything? What does it do at all? Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 18:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
That must be in the special version. I thought it assures that every user gets a minimal speed of 5000kbits (unless you've changed it ofcourse).

Donater
OpsCenter
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 21:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
It would be nice to know.

At the same time, having a 'guarenteed' amount for uplink speed would be just as, or more important than download.
SuperG
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 3:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
ro-maniak wrote:
I think you are missing the point. You have to enter your speeds allright, in two boxes that are at the top of the page. Recently, there appeared a new box at the bottom of the page, "Default Bandwith Level". I understand that 5000 is just some value, but what do I have to put here? My full bandwidth (other than 85%, which I have to put in the box at the top)? Upstream? Downstream? The sum of both? Does this value limit anything? What does it do at all? Rolling Eyes

I have been using this field to limit for a long while now. I am running SP1 special final, and it is called the "Default Bandwidth Level" and then it says enter Bandwidth in Kbits. Now I can not say why it is 5000 other than that is the pre inputed default value for this field picked arbitrarily. What I can tell you though, is what it actually does.

First, lets say you enter a value in the uplink and downlink of say 900 and 9800 respectively. This would in essence limit you total uplink bandwidth to 900 kbps and the total downlink to 9800 kbps. Now lets say you wanted one or two computers in your network to actually get that bandwidth, but you wanted ANY OTHER computer to get a specific lower bandwidth. Well, you could go in and add the two computers to the MAC priority section and enter the 9800 in max kbits box. Now lets say you wanted ALL other computers connected to your network limited to say 2000 kbps. Then you enter 2000 into the default bandwidth level. Now from my observation this value applies to either direction (uplink or downlink), but no matter the value here, you are still restricted by the total limits you entered in the main section. So if a random computer connects (wired or wirelessly) than their WAN speed would be limited to 2000 down (restricted by the default field), and limited to 900 up (even though default is 2000, it is still super seeded by the 900 value specified in the uplink).

Sorry for the long post, but I hope this helps explain the fields use.

SuperG
OpsCenter
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 4:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for your input. I am just going to go online with a special system right now.

My problem is that the client that I need to throttle is eating uplink time to the extent that it makes it tough for others. The response time goes horrid. I don't mind him taking what he wants when no one else needs it...I'm not being charged for data...

Well, I will let you know what I see.
DZ
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 16:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
SuperG wrote:
ro-maniak wrote:

I have been using this field to limit for a long while now. I am running SP1 special final, and it is called the "Default Bandwidth Level" and then it says enter Bandwidth in Kbits. Now I can not say why it is 5000 other than that is the pre inputed default value for this field picked arbitrarily. What I can tell you though, is what it actually does.

First, lets say you enter a value in the uplink and downlink of say 900 and 9800 respectively. This would in essence limit you total uplink bandwidth to 900 kbps and the total downlink to 9800 kbps. Now lets say you wanted one or two computers in your network to actually get that bandwidth, but you wanted ANY OTHER computer to get a specific lower bandwidth. Well, you could go in and add the two computers to the MAC priority section and enter the 9800 in max kbits box. Now lets say you wanted ALL other computers connected to your network limited to say 2000 kbps. Then you enter 2000 into the default bandwidth level. Now from my observation this value applies to either direction (uplink or downlink), but no matter the value here, you are still restricted by the total limits you entered in the main section. So if a random computer connects (wired or wirelessly) than their WAN speed would be limited to 2000 down (restricted by the default field), and limited to 900 up (even though default is 2000, it is still super seeded by the 900 value specified in the uplink).

Sorry for the long post, but I hope this helps explain the fields use.

SuperG

Many, many thanks for the answer, now it's look very clear to me
ro-maniak
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 22:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
SuperG, thanks!

How/where did you find out about this?

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 22:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
ro-maniak wrote:
SuperG, thanks!

How/where did you find out about this?

Honestly, after I got the special firmware, I just saw that field and figured that it meant what I thought, and decided to play around with it. I ran various speed tests with different computers and it turns out it did exactly what I thought.

SuperG
ro-maniak
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 22:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks... Cool

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 22:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
Actually, I just found out that Brainslayer HAS IN FACT EXPLAINED THIS VALUE!

Here:
BrainSlayer wrote:
wichtig ist auch folgendes. unter qos gibt es einen default wert für den maximalen datendurchsatz für nicht angegebene nutzer, der steht aber leider bei 5000 kbit/s

dies trifft aber nur auf die special edition zu

In this topic: http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=13947

It is just about what SuperG said here.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom Customer Downloads & Updates All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: